Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:57 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Uk is 11th biggest exporter according to stats.

One of the reasons exports have fallen is because the rest of the world is struggling too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...xports-imports
I havent read the article, but my first thought was ELEVENTH?????? Thats incredibly low down isnt it?? and of course it depends on what we're exporting and more importantly how much and what we import.

I'll go and read the article now which will, I'm sure give the answers

Jo xxx
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:59 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Uk is 11th biggest exporter according to stats.

One of the reasons exports have fallen is because the rest of the world is struggling too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...xports-imports
those are figures for 2009, IIRC we are now mid-2011

unless of course the markets are looking at our trading for 2009 but I understood they are a living breathing thing and react on a minute by minute basis
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:09 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
what have we got to export, as previously discussed we no longer have an engineering\manufacturing base.
how much can you get for several thousand illegal immigrants, a few bent coppers and fiddling MP's ? ?
I should have included your quote. Wasn't meant to show the volume, although it was doing well until last months blip.

I linked that just to show that the UK does actually export contary to what you state!

Is this up to date enough for you...exports rose by 1 billion in May

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...bn-in-May.html

Last edited by jackytoo; Jul 13th 2011 at 10:18 am.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I should have included your quote. Wasn't meant to show the volume, although it was doing well until last months blip.

I linked that just to show that the UK does actually export contary to what you state!

Is this up to date enough for you...exports rose by 1 billion in May

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...bn-in-May.html
I wonder how much of what we export is manufactured from imported base items which of course would counter or reduce any gain in having a very weak pound. If we carry on we will end up in a never ending cycle with the pound so weak we will be peasants outside of the UK. Who knows where we go next although I doubt that the bet of 1.25 will come off. To me I am unable to see given the situation of the eurozone how it can possibly work. PIGS are in dire trouble with no growth, according to the experts we are not much better but our answer is low currency low interest rates, ECB put rates up to slow down Germany France etc but what about the PIGS or will that be PIIGS? One thing that is for sure they is now speculation of no UK interest rate rise until 2013 so who helps the poor sods who have saved to rely on saving interest to help in their retirement, you watch when if they go up the ones who have totally over stretched themselves with 125% mortgages that should never have been allowed squeal. I think Domino is right King has only bad news and I don't see how it is going to get better.