Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Aircon Units - Help / Advice needed

Aircon Units - Help / Advice needed

Old Jun 24th 2020, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold
Default Aircon Units - Help / Advice needed

Hi Everyone,
We are looking for guidance / advice about potential options for installing / purchasing an Aircon unit for a medium sized bedroom. We know nothing about the various options and have no experience of them other than in hotels.
We just need it for cooling a bedroom for sleeping. The room is 6m x 4.5m x 3m with one external wall (that has a window). We currently use a wall mounted fan but are finding it insufficient.
We are prepared to consider all options:
Portable fan / aircon combo (but have been told by a friend that they are pretty useless on aircon mode).
Bigger, better fan - ceiling or wall mounted?
Vented Aircon Unit
Any guidance on price and contractors to fit a proper unit would also be most welcome.
Thanks
Stay safe and well.

Old Jun 24th 2020, 6:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aircon Units - Help / Advice needed

Your best option is a wall mounted inverter 2500 kw AC unit which will both heat and cool and also offer the option of just fan mode. If you shop around you should be able to do it for about €800 installed or even less.

They are very efficient and only use about half or less electricity than the official rating. If you have a dual rate off peak electricity tariff the cost is much less it you are only using it at night.

Look around for local suppliers and most will supply and fit the units.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Adeladie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
Hi Everyone,
We are looking for guidance / advice about potential options for installing / purchasing an Aircon unit for a medium sized bedroom. We know nothing about the various options and have no experience of them other than in hotels.
We just need it for cooling a bedroom for sleeping. The room is 6m x 4.5m x 3m with one external wall (that has a window). We currently use a wall mounted fan but are finding it insufficient.
We are prepared to consider all options:
Portable fan / aircon combo (but have been told by a friend that they are pretty useless on aircon mode).
Bigger, better fan - ceiling or wall mounted?
Vented Aircon Unit
Any guidance on price and contractors to fit a proper unit would also be most welcome.
Thanks
Stay safe and well.
I would recommend a split unit, small fan unit inside with the compressor outside, a pipe through the wall joining the two. I can recommend an installer who can give you a detailed quote and option of makes. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

Thank you both. If you could PM me with the name of a local contractor that would be great?
Old Jun 25th 2020, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, when we lived on Costa Esuri we found ceiling fans the best and cheapest option. Although we had aircon throughout the apartment it was mostly used in the Winter to take the chill off. In the Summer we used it to cool the rooms down when we were out in the evenings & then left the ceiling fan in our bedroom on all night. They are silent and only cost a few cents to run.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, we are sorted now. Much appreciate the advice. Stay safe and well.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
Thanks everyone, we are sorted now. Much appreciate the advice. Stay safe and well.
Would you mind letting us know what your solution (and rough cost) was in the end? Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2020, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Rita_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I would also really appreciate some air con advice! We would like air con for two bedrooms, we have fans but once it goes over 30 degrees we don’t find that enough. I think our apartment is already vented for air con and I notice quite a few apartments have units in the terrace. My understanding (perhaps incorrect) is that to have air con that really works you have to have an external extractor and then a unit in each room? Roughly how much would that cost? Or are some of the solutions outlined above sufficient, we are down on the beach so most have the time have cool air from the sea so its only for the occasional still night. Thanks!
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Ex Adeladie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rita_
Hi all, I would also really appreciate some air con advice! We would like air con for two bedrooms, we have fans but once it goes over 30 degrees we don’t find that enough. I think our apartment is already vented for air con and I notice quite a few apartments have units in the terrace. My understanding (perhaps incorrect) is that to have air con that really works you have to have an external extractor and then a unit in each room? Roughly how much would that cost? Or are some of the solutions outlined above sufficient, we are down on the beach so most have the time have cool air from the sea so its only for the occasional still night. Thanks!
Good morning Rita

Many of the developments at the beach have AC pipework preinstalled. Typically, a small indoor fan unit is fitted, usually above the door and the main compressor unit is installed on the terrace, in a lightwell or in a communal roof space, depending on the specifics of your development. The number of how many "indoor" units you have dictates the size/power (and price) of the compressor unit. A mid priced system fitted in a 2 bedroom (and lounge) apartment costs around 2400€

Paul
Old Jun 29th 2020, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ex Adeladie
Good morning Rita

Many of the developments at the beach have AC pipework preinstalled. Typically, a small indoor fan unit is fitted, usually above the door and the main compressor unit is installed on the terrace, in a lightwell or in a communal roof space, depending on the specifics of your development. The number of how many "indoor" units you have dictates the size/power (and price) of the compressor unit. A mid priced system fitted in a 2 bedroom (and lounge) apartment costs around 2400€

Paul
Thanks Paul, exactly the info I was looking for!
Old Jun 29th 2020, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rita, I can truly recommend AYACLIMA based on the Polygono by the motorway. They have a website if you google them. It is a small company of two brothers who both live on Marina Esuri. Like many others with a duplex I had a panasonic big unit fitted in the bathroom ceiling for the ducting where the pre installation was, and a separate 1 x 1 smaller unit for the master bedroom upstairs. Touch wood I've never had a problem. Their prices are very reasonable and they do a good job. Don't be put off by the beaten up 15 year old transit van they drive. They have low overheads and rarely advertise because they don't need to. They seem to work on word of mouth and good recommends. Six years ago they didn't speak much English, but if you email them in English they will reply in English with a quote. They must know every apartment block in the Area so can give a quotation usually without coming out. I'm sure many others would concur with their good work ethics.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keithBT
Hi Rita, I can truly recommend AYACLIMA based on the Polygono by the motorway. They have a website if you google them. It is a small company of two brothers who both live on Marina Esuri. Like many others with a duplex I had a panasonic big unit fitted in the bathroom ceiling for the ducting where the pre installation was, and a separate 1 x 1 smaller unit for the master bedroom upstairs. Touch wood I've never had a problem. Their prices are very reasonable and they do a good job. Don't be put off by the beaten up 15 year old transit van they drive. They have low overheads and rarely advertise because they don't need to. They seem to work on word of mouth and good recommends. Six years ago they didn't speak much English, but if you email them in English they will reply in English with a quote. They must know every apartment block in the Area so can give a quotation usually without coming out. I'm sure many others would concur with their good work ethics.
Thanks Keith, really appreciate the recommendation, always good to use somebody local!