Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Agrochemical products

Agrochemical products

Old May 22nd 2015, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Agrochemical products

It seems there's a new law coming in soon regarding the application of agrochemical products. You will need to attend a short course if you use these products for applying to plants or animals in a professional capacity; in other words if you sell food products for example.
I found out by chance from our local agricultural merchant/co-operative. The courses are called "applicador de productos fitosanitarios".

If you only have an allotment for instance and use any sprays (eg slug pellets, blight spray on potatoes) but the food produced is for domestic use, then there's no need to attend a course.
It might be worth checking at your local agric merchant to get the full facts.
Seems as if Spain is catching up with England, where these courses have been around for years.
Old May 22nd 2015, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agrochemical products

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
It seems there's a new law coming in soon regarding the application of agrochemical products. You will need to attend a short course if you use these products for applying to plants or animals in a professional capacity; in other words if you sell food products for example.
I found out by chance from our local agricultural merchant/co-operative. The courses are called "applicador de productos fitosanitarios".

If you only have an allotment for instance and use any sprays (eg slug pellets, blight spray on potatoes) but the food produced is for domestic use, then there's no need to attend a course.
It might be worth checking at your local agric merchant to get the full facts.
Seems as if Spain is catching up with England, where these courses have been around for years.
As far as I understand it, anyone in Spain who uses these products must go on a course, and the law has been this way for years

At least that is what my father-in-law told me last year when he did his course so he could use pesticides in the garden
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I buy our pesticide and herbicide from the local cooperative in the case of the weedkiller, in 5 litre concentrate. One container lasts me a season. The cooperative hand it over when you ask for it, it comes from the back room and is not on display.

On the other hand I did until this spring buy it from a commercial retailer who entered your name and address and passport details onto a computer database. This was because regulations said he had to.

There are two differences here. The co-op is spanish and run for spanish farmers. The retailer is Dutch and sells to the expat community. seems the spanish don't bend over backwards to conform to their own laws

Anyone wondering why I need so much, I do have 10.000 square metres to keep under control.
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

"seems the spanish don't bend over backwards to conform to their own laws"
I like it! Long live common sense.
The English have always "gold-plated" EU directives, usually to the cost of the producer and the joy of bureaucrats.
Sounds as if you're in the right situation.
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:09 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem getting virtually anything I requested from my local Spanish Farmers co op.
Plenty of good advice freely available, but no restrictions.