Reload this Page >

Buying car when the preliminary NIE has expired

Buying car when the preliminary NIE has expired

Old May 22nd 2015, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

azbz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying car when the preliminary NIE has expired

Hi,
does anyone know whether it is possible to buy a car if one has applied for the NIE number, but the first document, which is valid for 6 months, has expired?
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying car when the preliminary NIE has expired

Originally Posted by azbz
Hi,
does anyone know whether it is possible to buy a car if one has applied for the NIE number, but the first document, which is valid for 6 months, has expired?
Welcome to BE.

Your NIE doesn't expire, and as you have one you should have no problems, it is possible to buy a car without an NIE number in any case. It's only certain places that need an up-to-date certificate, I doubt that the car dealership will worry.
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit to wondering that as having the old type NIE it does not show any expiry date whatsoever. I was aware the number never expires but some more recent sheets have the expiry date on them.
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I must admit to wondering that as having the old type NIE it does not show any expiry date whatsoever. I was aware the number never expires but some more recent sheets have the expiry date on them.
I suspect that the expiry date is mainly for officialdom, having a recent sheet does meqn that you are still living in Spain, the old sheets coiuld be used even after the person has left the country.
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Mike no doubt just another chance for them to use one of the much loved stamps crashing it down with venom lol
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry couldn't resist

Old May 22nd 2015, 2:48 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall that the newly issued NIE certificates only last for 3 months (not 6) - just like the padron certificate.

You SHOULD need it to buy a car and it SHOULD be in date.

OP - why not get a new one?
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for prompt replies.

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I seem to recall that the newly issued NIE certificates only last for 3 months (not 6) - just like the padron certificate.

You SHOULD need it to buy a car and it SHOULD be in date.

OP - why not get a new one?
Don't have the paper at hand this moment, but recall it being 6months.
As to why not get a new one - I was told by a colleague that you cannot simply do that, as in 'get a new one'.
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:29 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by azbz
Hi,
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I have only just bought a new car and went to several dealers and they were all more interested in me having a current Padron Certificate than anything else. However, the salesman that I bought from photocopied my 11 year old NIE cert, my 8 year old Residents cert and my 2 week old Padron cert.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Welcome to BE.

Your NIE doesn't expire, and as you have one you should have no problems, it is possible to buy a car without an NIE number in any case. It's only certain places that need an up-to-date certificate, I doubt that the car dealership will worry.
I only now understood my mistake in the question - by 'buying a car' I also meant registering it with the Spanish DMV.
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Welcome to BE.

it is possible to buy a car without an NIE number in any case. .
I very much doubt that - you would never be able to register it.

Have you any proof that this is the case?

According to Trafico this is what you need.

Identification of the applicant:
Natural persons: official document
accrediting his/her identity and address (ID
card, Spanish driving licence, residence
card, Passport plus the Foreigner
Identification Number)
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:58 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Fred James
I very much doubt that - you would never be able to register it.

Have you any proof that this is the case?

According to Trafico this is what you need.

Identification of the applicant:
Natural persons: official document
accrediting his/her identity and address (ID
card, Spanish driving licence, residence
card, Passport plus the Foreigner
Identification Number)
I'm talking about a few years ago, when a relative of mine moved to Spain, he didn't have residency, might have had a NIE, but just went to a dealer and got it.
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought you didn't need residency or padron (although padron does seem to depend where) I believe though that NIE number will definitely be required. I am going to possibly look to buy a runabout car to leave over in Spain when over next month. I also thought that if non resident proof of a Spanish address I.e. escrutira or rental agreement would suffice in place of residency and padron. No doubt I will find out should I see something suitable, my plan is getting one from a dealer including the transfer!
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my first car in Spain before I even had an NIE number using only documents relating to my property.
That was over twenty years ago so I don't know if it would apply now.
More recently I've found that most dealers insist on a current padrona.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.