Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:21 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Indeed considering there printed in Spain & usually on a lesser grade of paper, the only thing I can think is the volume is not enough, but then so many free ones about. It is a rip off, another one.
You mean that you have to pay EVEN MORE to read the DM, it is true what they say ,there is one born every minute.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Why do you take at face value someone having one pension left over for luxuries yet disbelieve another from the UK. Everyone knows who has lived in both countries recently that it is more or less like for like. The only way you would find Spain cheaper is if you are one of those who drink in bars/pubs daily and smokes.

Anyway agoreira must be super rich he runs a car too

The OP wasn't asking about prices it's off topic. He asked were they too old.

Answer...No but don't buy at your age, rent.
No you got that wrong Jacky, I have two pensions left over for the finer things in life.
I still say that would not be the case if we were living in the UK with it's (in my experience) much higher costs. And for the record, I don't drink every day and I don't smoke either.
That said we didn't move here for the low cost, we moved for the lifestyle which is very much superior here.

Last edited by megmet; Apr 8th 2014 at 1:29 am.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:31 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Expats arriving in Spain at or near official retirement age are likely to have built up a sufficient pension income to live comfortably in what used to be a much cheaper country. I think it still is much cheaper.

They will have made Spain their choice not because of cheapness, but for many other reasons too - not least the tolerant Spanish population who have been bombarded with some weird people from all over the world and still manage a smile when yet another Martian comes along.

One Spanish barmaid confided in me recently that she dreaded the arrival of summer when expats change into short shorts which look disgusting on men and women beyond a certain age. I'm going to stay in long trousers for a bit longer.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:47 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Expats arriving in Spain at or near official retirement age are likely to have built up a sufficient pension income to live comfortably in what used to be a much cheaper country. I think it still is much cheaper.

They will have made Spain their choice not because of cheapness, but for many other reasons too - not least the tolerant Spanish population who have been bombarded with some weird people from all over the world and still manage a smile when yet another Martian comes along.

One Spanish barmaid confided in me recently that she dreaded the arrival of summer when expats change into short shorts which look disgusting on men and women beyond a certain age. I'm going to stay in long trousers for a bit longer.
If seeing customers wear shorts is the worse thing in that barmaid's life, then she really hasn't much to complain about! Having said that, I do cringe when certain men, the chubby ones, walk about bare-chested (or have their shirts open to the waist.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:03 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think some expats don't own a pair of trousers, have seen some in them on cold December days.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:20 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I still stand by the fact it's not cheaper in Spain at least in Andalucia. There is more to life than menu del dia and a bottle of whiskey anyway I can't make up my mind what to choose on the menu...grey chicken, yellow fish or spaghetti Bol with scarcely any Bol. Then the deserts, which one, Apple, strawberry or raspberry yogurt..the choice is amazing

A few things that are more expensive in Spain without thinking hard.

Cars and Car insurance
Car parts
White goods
Garden tools/equipment
House insurance
Broadband
Furniture
White goods
Income tax

If it's so good why does every Brit owned house seem to be on sale. About two thirds of properties are se vende in a lot of pueblos.....and why does 20,000+ Brits want to leave, many of them because of financial difficulties
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:46 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I still stand by the fact it's not cheaper in Spain at least in Andalucia. There is more to life than menu del dia and a bottle of whiskey anyway I can't make up my mind what to choose on the menu...grey chicken, yellow fish or spaghetti Bol with scarcely any Bol. Then the deserts, which one, Apple, strawberry or raspberry yogurt..the choice is amazing

A few things that are more expensive in Spain without thinking hard.

Cars and Car insurance
Car parts
White goods
Garden tools/equipment
House insurance
Broadband
Furniture
White goods
Income tax

If it's so good why does every Brit owned house seem to be on sale. About two thirds of properties are se vende in a lot of pueblos.....and why does 20,000+ Brits want to leave, many of them because of financial difficulties
If we're talking about costs (and you attempt to change the subject by referring to Brit houses) then surely the essential costs are a lot cheaper than the UK eg rent, council tax, public transport and basic foodstuffs eg rice, fruit and veg. Energy costs are probably similar, depending on size of property.
Talking about garden tools is about as relevant as talking about guitar lessons...
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
If we're talking about costs (and you attempt to change the subject by referring to Brit houses) then surely the essential costs are a lot cheaper than the UK eg rent, council tax, public transport and basic foodstuffs eg rice, fruit and veg. Energy costs are probably similar, depending on size of property.
Talking about garden tools is about as relevant as talking about guitar lessons...
Most Brits in Spain do have gardens Stevie never read their posts also garden products such as fertilisers are more expensive. Reminds me...so is garden furniture.

Not changing the subject....why are they all selling up, many through financial difficulties if it's as cheap as claimed.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:55 am
Not Banned (yet)

Most Brits in Spain do have gardens Stevie never read their posts also garden products such as fertilisers are more expensive. Reminds me...so is garden furniture.
Sorry I find that hard to believe - unless you can back that statement up
Many Brits live in rented flats - they don't all have villas.
Certainly out of the many thousands of Brits who live in Madrid and Barcelona, very few will have a garden.
Which is not to say that a good number may well do. And the figure could be tens of thousands But it's not "Most Brits in Spain" and the cost of garden equipment cannot be described as an "essential" part of a cost of living. Nothing to stop neighbours sharing or buying second-hand either.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:00 am
Banned

Try having a 1000sm2 garden without a law mower and there are thousands of Brit homes with this in Andalucia. Of course you don't know the place. There are more Brits in houses than apartments in Andalucia.

Just because you don't own cars and other things doesn't mean they aren't essential to the average person.

Last edited by jackytoo; Apr 8th 2014 at 10:03 am.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I think some expats don't own a pair of trousers, have seen some in them on cold December days.
Hard to believe but there´s a guy near me and I´ve never seen him in long trousers! Similarly, our postie is always in shorts, they must be mad or hard, maybe a bit of both. Even the girl postie only ever seems to wear a polo shirt, they must be selected for being tough.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Hard to believe but there´s a guy near me and I´ve never seen him in long trousers! Similarly, our postie is always in shorts, they must be mad or hard, maybe a bit of both. Even the girl postie only ever seems to wear a polo shirt, they must be selected for being tough.
I have noticed that about postal workers, wonder why
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:15 am
Not Banned (yet)

Try having a 1000sm2 garden without a law mower and there are thousands of Brit homes with this in Andalucia. Of course you don't know the place. There are more Brits in houses than apartments in Andalucia.

Just because you don't own cars and other things doesn't mean they aren't essential to the average person.
You said "Most Brits in spain" without having a clue as to the overall number.
Now it could be there IS a majority who own homes as opposed to living in flats or apartments, but please admit you don't know. I'm not even sure any of us do know.....
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that about postal workers, wonder why
They are always on the move, I give them that, even have one that runs around between houses. They´ll probably have to run a bit faster now after privatisation! That´s probably the only privatisation that I didn´t buy into, too much scaling back!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 2:53 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Not changing the subject....why are they all selling up, many through financial difficulties if it's as cheap as claimed.
I remember (cos it was only last weekend ) the BH saying that the bags of potting compost were at least a third the price of similar products in the UK

and even if you don't have a garden in the British suburbs style and live in a flat or terraced house you still need a number of gardening items for the flowers that you grow on your terrace and around the house.
And considering the range and number of garden furniture sets that are available from AKI/Brico et al and are selling like hot cakes then there are a large number of expats in this area (which will upset DD) - although we all know they are being bought by Spaniards suffering from The Crisis, for their main and weekend homes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.