Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Aftercare services for retired Expats already under Spanish Healthcare System

Aftercare services for retired Expats already under Spanish Healthcare System

Old Oct 8th 2019, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Julie Cannon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aftercare services for retired Expats already under Spanish Healthcare System

Hi. I'm new to this Forum so I hope I'm using it correctly. Myself and my partner are currently supporting an elderly Brit retired couple in the district of Murcia. They have full residency and are registered for Health and Social Care. He is the Carer for his wife. But he has now been in hospital for 4 weeks and we are trying to support his wife with absolutely no help from anywhere or anyone else. They desperately want to remain in their home in Spain. But she is almost completely immobile and cannot make a meal for herself, let alone her Husband when he is discharged. I confess we are really struggling to cope with their needs, and that's with one of them in hospital. We believe he will not ever be able to give his wife the level of care she needs; it is also unclear what needs he will have on discharge. We are both self employed and are losing work constantly because of supporting them. We love them dearly, but simply cannot go on long term. I am struggling to find out on the internet what aftercare services might be available once they are discharged. Advice please.
Old Oct 8th 2019, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aftercare services for retired Expats already under Spanish Healthcare Syste

If they want to apply for home care under the Ley de Dependencia, you would need to start with getting their needs assessed by the Social Services Department in their home town.

https://serviciossociales.murcia.es/...estaciones-233

The outcome of that would determine what level of assistance (if any) they would be entitled to. The whole process would almost certainly have to be conducted in Spanish, and if carers were assigned they would most likely be Spanish speaking too, which may or may not be a problem for the couple concerned.

Sorry to sound negative, but I have heard that it can take many months for assessments to be carried out (don't know what the situation is like in the Murcia area) and even after the assessment is done there can still be a long waiting period before services start being provided.

Does the hospital have a trabajador social who could provide some advice?

If they can't get assistance via Social Services the only alternative would be to employ help privately, if their finances permit, either via an agency or employing someone directly.
Old Oct 8th 2019, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aftercare services for retired Expats already under Spanish Healthcare Syste

Are there any local groups like Royal British Legion or similar who might be able to offer assistance? If not live in may be a good solution and one which many people opt for.

YOu could also try here https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/ask-for-advice/

Last edited by spainrico; Oct 8th 2019 at 3:28 pm.