Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

After a long chat with hubby

After a long chat with hubby

Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice
Default After a long chat with hubby

.....last night I don't think we can afford to move just yet not untill the kids have left school. Cos of their ages would have to put them in international schools and that would cost about 1,000 euros a month acording to the websites! Having taken on board what advice you have all given me I don,t think we could earn enough to keep us going with out hubby working in England for the next 15 years..Anyway still gonna have a look at the end of the month and make a decision then..Maybe buy something cheaper that we can afford and use for holidays ect till kids leave home or I do, which ever comes 1st
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:27 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After a long chat with hubby

Thats a shame ..... remind me again, how old are the kids?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats a shame ..... remind me again, how old are the kids?
13 and 14
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeanc
13 and 14
Mmmmm .... yes its a funny age isn't it, so the language would probably knock them back a bit.
We waited until my daughter was through full time education before we did a bunk. Having said that, shes now thinking of going back to uni to study in Art Therepy ..... I don't think she would have come with us anyway.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mmmmm .... yes its a funny age isn't it, so the language would probably knock them back a bit.
We waited until my daughter was through full time education before we did a bunk. Having said that, shes now thinking of going back to uni to study in Art Therepy ..... I don't think she would have come with us anyway.
Just disheartening cos I,ve wanted to go for years but hubby's always said not yet now he's all for it and its me having to be practical.. I they were 2 years younger I would go and put them in a spanish school but they are too old to cope with the language and still pass exams..
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:48 am
Senior Moment

Just disheartening cos I,ve wanted to go for years but hubby's always said not yet now he's all for it and its me having to be practical.. I they were 2 years younger I would go and put them in a spanish school but they are too old to cope with the language and still pass exams..
Are you sure there are no educational alternatives
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you sure there are no educational alternatives
can't think of any. My eldest, the daughter, would not go to a spanish school as she is quite shy and would feel awkward, and she is the one that is only 18months away from her gcse's my son would go anywhere cos he's very sociable..
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

can't think of any. My eldest, the daughter, would not go to a spanish school as she is quite shy and would feel awkward, and she is the one that is only 18months away from her gcse's my son would go anywhere cos he's very sociable..
That's a shame, but maybe the option you mentioned, about finding somewhere you could afford for holidays, could be a possibility... I hope so. Don't give up on your dream.

Last edited by Kyla; Apr 17th 2007 at 11:11 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

it is a very difficult age for kids to come over and I wouldnt like to make the decision BUT my friend came over when her daughter was 14, she did well at school and quickly made friends and a boyfriend, she was held back a year and has stayed on at school and may even go on to Uni

good luck with whatever you decide, its a tough call
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spain
it is a very difficult age for kids to come over and I wouldnt like to make the decision BUT my friend came over when her daughter was 14, she did well at school and quickly made friends and a boyfriend, she was held back a year and has stayed on at school and may even go on to Uni

good luck with whatever you decide, its a tough call
If I thought she would be ok in a spanish school I would not hessitate but I would never forgive myself if I did that and she failed her exams.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are being sensible. After all what is a couple of years in your life. You will have plenty of time after they leave school. Whether you will be able to afford it when and if they go to Uni is another matter!!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kyla
That's a shame, but maybe the option you mentioned, about finding somewhere you could afford for holidays, could be a possibility... I hope so. Don't give up on your dream.
Wont give up on my dreams, wanted to do it for soooooo long. Feel a bit sad today
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

Wont give up on my dreams, wanted to do it for soooooo long. Feel a bit sad today
Poor you. Try not to feel sad, your dreams are only on hold for a while.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:39 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are being very realistic,its better to look at all the options than to move and then you find its been a mistake at this momement in time.Its important that your kids finish their education,It will be much easier for you when they are a bit older,perhaps in the meantime you could all encourage each other to learn the lingo,this would help if your kids moved with you at a later date,especially if they need to find work,you can still make plans towords the future,we are hoping to make the move but there is only myself the O/H and our George to think of.Another couple of years will soon pass by and Im sure then you will look back and realise you made the right decision,in the meatime you could still be looking at all the possibilties and go over on holidays,look at different areas and plan for your future.Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:11 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

So sad for you, but I think best thing to do, teenage children do need lots of love and understanding which you have

Use this time to build an even better future for your selfs, as you say look at a smaller holiday home that you can use as an investment and then when the time is right for you look at finances again but this time with the knowledge that you are already on the Spanish property ladder.

Take care
CrispyX

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.