Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

After a long chat with hubby

After a long chat with hubby

Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice
Default Re: After a long chat with hubby

Originally Posted by crispygirl
So sad for you, but I think best thing to do, teenage children do need lots of love and understanding which you have

Use this time to build an even better future for your selfs, as you say look at a smaller holiday home that you can use as an investment and then when the time is right for you look at finances again but this time with the knowledge that you are already on the Spanish property ladder.

Take care
CrispyX
thanx all
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:30 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

What about sending your daughter to an English school and your son to a Spanish one if you think he'd cope with it well? Thats what we're going to have to do, (ours are 7 and 17) as Ben is too old to chuck in at the deep end and Isaac is young enough to cope well.My friends in New Zealand ended up doing the same as her daughter was happier going to a more local school(admittedly there aren't the language probs)
Good luck with whatever you decide x
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:05 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeanc
.....last night I don't think we can afford to move just yet not untill the kids have left school. Cos of their ages would have to put them in international schools and that would cost about 1,000 euros a month acording to the websites! Having taken on board what advice you have all given me I don,t think we could earn enough to keep us going with out hubby working in England for the next 15 years..Anyway still gonna have a look at the end of the month and make a decision then..Maybe buy something cheaper that we can afford and use for holidays ect till kids leave home or I do, which ever comes 1st
I really do sympathise with you Jean, I know you have been loooking forward to moving to Spain However, this is a huge decision in your lives and you have to feel 100% - if there are any doubts (about anything) then it is best to wait until you are sure. As Jandy has suggested - it would be a good idea to learn the language, as a family, make it fun, then maybe you will all share the dream and one day it will happen

If you can afford a holiday home - maybe just an apartment then you can visit and get the feel of the country and later, when you are ready to make the move financially you can look again to see where you would like to settle. We are lucky in the sense that our girls are now adults but it's a wrench to leave one of them behind as she doesn't want to come with us to Spain (the eldest is already in Spain). I hope you make it - don't lose the dream
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lionda

I really do sympathise with you Jean, I know you have been loooking forward to moving to Spain However, this is a huge decision in your lives and you have to feel 100% - if there are any doubts (about anything) then it is best to wait until you are sure. As Jandy has suggested - it would be a good idea to learn the language, as a family, make it fun, then maybe you will all share the dream and one day it will happen

If you can afford a holiday home - maybe just an apartment then you can visit and get the feel of the country and later, when you are ready to make the move financially you can look again to see where you would like to settle. We are lucky in the sense that our girls are now adults but it's a wrench to leave one of them behind as she doesn't want to come with us to Spain (the eldest is already in Spain). I hope you make it - don't lose the dream
Thanx for your support, We can afford to buy a bungalow or a semi somewhere, we have a deposit and we shall have a look at end of the month. Last year we travelled to greece, spain & gran canaria at a cost of over £7,000 pound for all of us, for flights and accomodation ,no spending money included in that,so i'm sure we can afford to pay a mortgage and holiday there for a few years... then when the kids are afew years older and no longer need school we can go