Reload this Page >

After a death in Spain

After a death in Spain

Old May 5th 2019, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Njc850 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default After a death in Spain

Hi again all,
ive looked for a guide to this, and am probably missing something but can’t really find what I’m after.
Father in law has passed away.
Mother in law passed away a few years before.
they moved out to Spain about 15 years ago.
Funeral this week.
and the 3 siblings are aware they will need to make the most of their time togther and see a lawyer to get things finalised.
i don’t think my wife wants to ever come back, she sees at as the place that took her folks (she didn’t want them to go in the first place, but that’s not relevant).
is there a guide/ process anywhere?
they know to see an English speaking lawyer.
they think he had a will.
he had a bank account, a house and a car.
none of which are worth much.
any help on the above would be apppreciated.

thanks again.

Nick
Old May 5th 2019, 9:12 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After a death in Spain

sorry for your loss.

After 15 years they will likely have quite a few friends, are you in contact with them?
Where did your FiL live, no doubt someone will be able to point you to a good local Abogado.
Do you know who arranged the purchase. He / she might be able to help.
You will need to search the property for the will, title deeds, ownership for the car etc.
Do you know which bank?
You will need to advise creditors and sort out final accounts for utilities et al.
Old May 5th 2019, 9:48 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have a guide on what to do but cannot find it so presume that it was on my old computer and got lost so I will try to type a list from memory.

All of the things that Missile states of course. Sorry if I double up on something or miss something but hope to help in some small way.

Many will need to see or have a copy of the International death certificate in order to deal with things.

Contact
INSS (Spanish social security) May not be necessary if death occurred in hospital. If it happened at home probably best to ask the local health centre to remove him from their data.
Bank (s)
Notary about the Will
DWP to cancel pension
Town Hall to have name removed from Padron, car tax and the utilities that they deal with (possibly water, definitely rubbish, council tax).

Things that people tend to forget to cancel are car insurance and house insurance, the bank should be able to help with who and when payments were made so there may be a clearer picture of what is required once they start all of the processes.

I hope that all goes smoothly for them.

Rosemary
Old May 5th 2019, 10:14 am
Just Joined

All good stuff. Really appreciate it.
i’ll speak to the missus later.
the car is serving as a useful way of avoiding Goldcar queues for now to but it’s probably the case that the FiL’s insurance is now no longer valid as he isn’t with us.
we’ll get to that in good time.
the rest of the admin - thanks for that we’ll get on it.
Old May 5th 2019, 10:23 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Njc850
All good stuff. Really appreciate it.
i’ll speak to the missus later.
the car is serving as a useful way of avoiding Goldcar queues for now to but it’s probably the case that the FiL’s insurance is now no longer valid as he isn’t with us.
we’ll get to that in good time.
the rest of the admin - thanks for that we’ll get on it.
In Spain it is the car that is insured not a named driver so they should be alright driving it as far as I know.

Rosemary
Old May 5th 2019, 10:37 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

This may help.

What to do when someone dies in Spain - Andalucia.com
Old May 5th 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Fred James
That is what I was searching for but could not find, I remember it being very useful to me, thanks Fred.

Rosemary
Old May 5th 2019, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences on your loss. Just to add to the excellent guide posted above, all the beneficiaries of the will are going to need an NIE number in order for the estate to be distributed to them, so if they are all going to be in Spain for the funeral it might be best to obtain them at that time to avoid having to make extra trips in the future. Probably the easiest thing (but not cheap, I'm afraid) would be for all the beneficiaries to give power of attorney to a recommended Spanish lawyer to deal with making the necessary returns to the Spanish tax office, getting the deed of inheritance (Escritura de Herencia) drawn up to enable the property to be sold, bank to release funds, etc. and the eventual sale of the property. Be prepared for it all to take a very long time. An old friend of ours who owned property in Spain but was not resident died a few years ago and his sister inherited his entire estate. It was over a year after he died that the Escritura de Herencia was able to be issued so that she could even begin to think about selling the house.
Old May 5th 2019, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks again everybody.
Excellent info.
They’ve got a lot to do this week that’s for sure.
i think my wife would rather never come back. Too many bad memories of hospitals and illness.
so if they could hammer through all the admin this week that would be so much better.
selling the house is by the by, it sounds a painfully slow process, but they’ll want to sever ties ASAP.
thank you all again.
im normally on car forums and they are helpful, but you guys have really taken a weight off.
much appreciated.
Old May 5th 2019, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that the beneficiaries could actually obtain NIE numbers from a Spanish consulate in the UK, if that would be easier than trying to get it done whilst they are here. At the moment they are only in London and Edinburgh, but I did read in the press the other day that they are planning to re-open the one in Manchester but no timescale was given.

Consulates in the UK
Old May 5th 2019, 7:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It might be quicker in the UK as so many people are trying (at last) to register as residents that the Nacional Police offices are backed up with up to six months of appointments.