After Brexit

Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:00 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After Brexit

Originally Posted by rspltd
Contrary to what you might have read in the papers you get in Spain, the UK has made very clear what they want and as stated above, the sticking point seems to be the unreasonable demands of the EU, No other sovereign country in the world accepts the decisions of another's Courts. The EU is also insisting that the UK must continue to pay child benefit after we have left. Currently the UK pays child benefit of about £50million to Polish children the majority of which have never been to the UK. Go whistle does seem appropriate.
It's actually £30 million child benefit not only going to Poland but throughout the EU.

Those EU citizens who upped sticks in their own country and settled in the UK, whilst being a member of the European Union should have preserved EU rights and deserve 'special status'. The vast majority of EU citizens have been long-term UK taxpayers, it's worth pointing out too. No discrimination law means the EU citizen should be treated the same as a UK citizen. For however long the parent is able to bear a child and regardless of where that child resides, i.e the same rights as a UK citizen.

Post-Brexit, any European citizen choosing to settle in the UK, then UK rules should apply.

I don't see anything unreasonable about it.

Last edited by iano; Jul 25th 2017 at 6:03 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano
It's actually £30 million child benefit not only going to Poland but throughout the EU.

Those EU citizens who upped sticks in their own country and settled in the UK, whilst being a member of the European Union should have preserved EU rights and deserve 'special status'. The vast majority of EU citizens have been long-term UK taxpayers, it's worth pointing out too. No discrimination law means the EU citizen should be treated the same as a UK citizen. For however long the parent is able to bear a child and regardless of where that child resides, i.e the same rights as a UK citizen.

Post-Brexit, any European citizen choosing to settle in the UK, then UK rules should apply.

I don't see anything unreasonable about it.
What you say doesn't seem unreasonable.
However, that is not what is on the table. Especially the bit about the ECHR. And it doesn't specifically say 'child' it is 'relative'
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

What I read is ecj European Court of Justice not ECoHR European Court of Human Rights? We are at present signed up to that so must comply whether in EU or not.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:30 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
However, that is not what is on the table. Especially the bit about the ECHR. And it doesn't specifically say 'child' it is 'relative'
Of the 28 signatories to the EU Treaties one is unilaterally revoking 'the contract' if you will, and as a result the EU is merely proposing protecting and retaining all its lawful citizens' existing rights under EU law, as agreed in said Treaties.

This includes the 1.2 million EU citizens of UK nationality who it is proposed will also retain their rights; continuing freedom of movement, relatives rights (spouse and immediate family), protection under EU law etc. etc.

This is each side's initial negotiating position, The Withdrawal Treaty will no doubt be a compromise of sorts anyway. It will be interesting to see whose 'red lines' will be crossed, and as it ultimately requires ratification from 28 states I know where my money is going.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
What I read is ecj European Court of Justice not ECoHR European Court of Human Rights? We are at present signed up to that so must comply whether in EU or not.
You're quite right - bit slipshod with my accuracy, sorry.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
You're quite right - bit slipshod with my accuracy, sorry.
I think the reason EU want to ensure the ECJ are retained is simply to ensure that EU citizens rights are respected by UK government as would UK citizens rights be within the EU in accordance with ECJ legislation.My understanding is that it would only apply to that not UK general laws. I think that is fair given people have moved to UK under EU legislation? As always though it seems to be being misrepresented in the UK in that we could not make our own laws/legislation which would not be the case other than treatment of EU citizens resident in UK. I may be wrong but that is how I see it.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
To be honest I am more concerned at simply being able to retire to our house in Spain that we bought for that very purpose. To that end even though not there full time currently I am considering obtaining the basic over 90 day residency. Down side I would need to pay for health insurance until I get state pension in 17 months. I would see that though as investing for our future.
That would be a very unkind cut for you and others in your situation. I think the best hope is with the Spanish Govt, do they want a return to the 'old days' markets saturated, repossessions, urbanizations deserted and loss of revenue. I think not.....but believe the UK will be no help here. They can't even get past the first hurdle, if it wasn't so sad for ordinary people caught in the middle, it would be laughable. Tick,tock.......
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lurchio
That would be a very unkind cut for you and others in your situation. I think the best hope is with the Spanish Govt, do they want a return to the 'old days' markets saturated, repossessions, urbanizations deserted and loss of revenue. I think not.....but believe the UK will be no help here. They can't even get past the first hurdle, if it wasn't so sad for ordinary people caught in the middle, it would be laughable. Tick,tock.......
Thanks yes it is not a great position to be in just 23 months from state retirement age given they added 6 months to that.Hence why I will probably take basic residency as per over 90 days to at least have it. To be honest will Spanish government be that worried about the many like me that own properties for future retirement? After all we now own them probably unlikely to be able to sell them but are committed to paying for bills taxes etc on them whether we can live in them or not. To the UK we seem simply to be collateral damage in their grand Brexit non plan.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:54 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Contrary to what you might have read in the papers you get in Spain, the UK has made very clear what they want and as stated above, the sticking point seems to be the unreasonable demands of the EU, No other sovereign country in the world accepts the decisions of another's Courts. The EU is also insisting that the UK must continue to pay child benefit after we have left. Currently the UK pays child benefit of about £50million to Polish children the majority of which have never been to the UK. Go whistle does seem appropriate.
Quite true. I suggest then, that if "sovereignty" is what the island wants (well, part of it anyway), then it should do that. In fact, it's been a year, what's taking so long?

However, in Britain's England's quest for its defininition of "sovereignty", it must accept what that means, and that it no longer has the "right" to all of the benefits it had as an EU member state. And that same truth applies every bit as much as it did before the referendum.

Unfortunately, voters were told they could have it all. And that's just not going to happen. So, I suspect nobody's going to be happy with the inevitable result.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Like it. And when the carefully worked out 'want/ demands list' of the UK Govt are eventually presented to the EU, they better hope the EU don't tell them to 'go whistle' then. Having worked in France, Belgium,Germany, Malta and now settled in Spain, I think its currently a bit delusional in the UK halls of power. Do they know (collectively) who they are dealing with? Still, time will tell I suppose.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Putting aside the rather extortionate membership fee would you like to state what benefits the UK gets over other non paying members of the EU - come to that perhaps you would like to state any benefits that the UK gets.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Putting aside the rather extortionate membership fee would you like to state what benefits the UK gets over other non paying members of the EU - come to that perhaps you would like to state any benefits that the UK gets.
There must be some otherwise we wouldn't have been in the EU unless it is just the kudos? Wait a mo, just thought of one. No trade restrictions on buying VW, Audi, mercedes and BMW cars and Bosch etc fridges.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

That has been blatted about this forum and elsewhere ad nauseam, that aspect is settled, the vote was 'out' and out we go. My point is that the grand proposals and measures being released by the UK govt to ensure that the UK does not turn into an isolated wasteland( a 'transition' period being the latest) seem to be presented with a sort of arrogance and disregard for the other 27 countries opinion, like everything is a 'given' because the UK want it that way. Having experienced the mindset of where I have worked and lived and not spent all my time on an island, where some have an insular mentality lets be honest,I think the UK are delusional if they think they can leave the club they voluntarily joined under their own terms, whoever heard of that? I know what a Belgian, French, German or Spanish person would say to that..... Something along the lines of 'and who do you think you are to make demands of us all in the scheme of things?' Time will tell I suppose, hopefully with no harsh reality check dished out to the UK, but it would be nice to see some progress (including residency and migration at round one) as time is ticking away and we do not have the referees whistle here, as surprising as that may seem to some!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
There must be some otherwise we wouldn't have been in the EU unless it is just the kudos? Wait a mo, just thought of one. No trade restrictions on buying VW, Audi, mercedes and BMW cars and Bosch etc fridges.
This will get like the famous 'and what have the Romans EVER done for us?' Scene from 'Life of Brian' soon......
Old Jul 28th 2017, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So far where have we got ? Exactly nowhere and the time is ticking away. Maybe if they had a plan rather than looking like startled rabbits in the headlights (Boris and Give) when they won the referendum they may have stood a chance. This is very s Ary for our country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.