Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice on relocation to Spain for work

Advice on relocation to Spain for work

Old Jul 4th 2016, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Leinster84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on relocation to Spain for work

I will be re locating for work in the coming months and Malaga is my most likely destination (I am in aviation industry)

Was wondering if anyone could spare me their knowledge of places to live , I have exhausted the internet trying to get good advice on all the surrounding Costa towns etc. I have received some excellent help from some on a "Trip" Forum as I was unaware this excellent site existed.

My thoughts are initially I would probably rent short term near the airport in either Malaga itself or a close by town. I then aim to make a move to somewhere more longer term when I find the right place.

I don't want to join a huge expat community but rather a good mix of locals aswell as I would love to join a community where I could try and integrate with locals and some expats and I know learning Spanish is a must and I am just getting started and really enjoying it.
I would prefer living more towards the coast than inland.

The towns which I was looking at initially included Esteponna , however I fear as a single young guy these places may be a little quiet as I would love to meet new people and if I am lucky a nice Spanish girl , so would this type of town be too small?? I also could opt for Lanzarote as a location choice but for the point of being young and single would Lanzarote just not be right for me as it is more couple based and not as young-do you think?
I have got great advice about Torremolinos and it sounds like somewhere that might fit what I am looking for.
Would Marbella be an option also or Malaga Centre , my only fear of Malaga centre is it being a little over whelming at the start, as I said my Spanish lessons are only starting!!

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts , apologies if I rambled on a bit , as you may have guessed I am starting to feel a little anxious about the move and would like to get a better picture to try and be as ready as possible.
I would be grateful for any advice or your thoughts,
Many Thanks once again ,
Chris
Old Jul 4th 2016, 2:37 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on relocation to Spain for work

I would advise mainland rather than Lanzarote. Rent a place then move on until you find somewhere that suits.

Perhaps your work colleagues will be better able to advise?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Leinster84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your advice missile , and I agree with you maybe Lanzarote would not be suitable for my needs.
I will certainly be relying on my work mates to offer me good advice etc , however I would like to do as much of my own research as possible to give me a basic idea. I think its best to get as clear a picture before hand so I am not totally jumping into the unknown.

Many Thanks for your help
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leinster84
Many thanks for your advice missile , and I agree with you maybe Lanzarote would not be suitable for my needs.
I will certainly be relying on my work mates to offer me good advice etc , however I would like to do as much of my own research as possible to give me a basic idea. I think its best to get as clear a picture before hand so I am not totally jumping into the unknown.

Many Thanks for your help
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 5th 2016, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

If you're young and single, I would opt for living in Malaga. Certainly a lot more going on there than the nearby beach towns.

- Eric S.