Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice please on where to start looking...

Advice please on where to start looking...

Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please on where to start looking...

Originally Posted by spain
yes thats exactly the same as our son, when I speak to my family and friends in UK they cant believe he is out til that time of night which then panics me but then if I say to him to come in early (before 11pm) I feel rotten as all his friends are still out and then he has to come home on his own, so I feel its better to let him out a bit later and then they all come home together

He speaks Spanglish sometimes - he was just coming up to 7 when we left England so his English vocab isnt what it should be (even though he reads and I get work from the internet for him) he will say a sentence and throw in the odd Spanish word, I think what is he saying I dont understand
don't you just love hearing them joining in though

my favourite time is coming up - when my girls will be translating for all the kids who spend the summer here - most of the houses are spanish owned & they come for the summer, but a few are owned by english families with kids - they also come for a good part of the summer, and they all play together, with my 2 switching languages in a heartbeat - somehow they always speak the right language to the right child
Old Jul 15th 2007, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

We decided to send our son to a normal spanish school which was the hardest decision I have ever made, every day I cried when I saw him standing alone in the playground. not everyday, the kids tried to talk to him but most gave up bar a few, (bless them). After 3 months he was playing football and having a good time, by 6 months he had a best friend and was speaking good Valencian, after a year he was speaking like a native. Now afer 4 years he can speak Valencian and Castellano fluently. So in the end it was worth it. Best of all he never complained once... what a kid (luv him to peices)
My heart goes out to you on that one. It must have been really difficult at first. I'm beginning to get the fear....

The absolute top, must have priority for our move is that we are doing the right thing for our daughter. I want her to be happy, to be playing out in lovely weather, happy as much as is humanly possible and have a good education.

I'm also terrified of turning into a `foreigner`to her! I want us to have a really good, close relationship and for us to be able to communicate at a deep level.

my favourite time is coming up - when my girls will be translating for all the kids who spend the summer here - most of the houses are spanish owned & they come for the summer, but a few are owned by english families with kids - they also come for a good part of the summer, and they all play together, with my 2 switching languages in a heartbeat - somehow they always speak the right language to the right child
That sounds pretty impressive, not having a second language I do wonder what it's like to be able to `think` bi-lingually. I'll need to do some serious swotting to keep up anywhere near my little `un.

I'm a little anxious now, emigrating via the internet (statistics, satellite photos, forums and on-line galleries) is a little odd. Hopefully I'll be there next weekend to get a feel for what it's really like!

Ta,
Ste.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

lostinspain will become famous soon enoughlostinspain will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Splatt
My heart goes out to you on that one. It must have been really difficult at first. I'm beginning to get the fear....

The absolute top, must have priority for our move is that we are doing the right thing for our daughter. I want her to be happy, to be playing out in lovely weather, happy as much as is humanly possible and have a good education.

I'm also terrified of turning into a `foreigner`to her! I want us to have a really good, close relationship and for us to be able to communicate at a deep level.

That sounds pretty impressive, not having a second language I do wonder what it's like to be able to `think` bi-lingually. I'll need to do some serious swotting to keep up anywhere near my little `un.

I'm a little anxious now, emigrating via the internet (statistics, satellite photos, forums and on-line galleries) is a little odd. Hopefully I'll be there next weekend to get a feel for what it's really like!

Ta,
Ste.
about becoming a foreigner to your daughter....I relate to that and it is a real fear as I have personal expirience in that. It is not drastic like that but if you do live in a forein country differences will exist and this is to be expecte. I think this is not only due to a child identifying with a country they spend most their developing years in, but also due to a parent remembering the time they left and forgeting the bad things. We tend to think of good things we left (as we get older) and our children may be a "stranger" to us in our native country also at the certain years and with fast changing youth culture...Yes, this is a real concern, but if prepared, it can be turned into an enriching expirience.
I wish you well as I wish to all of us new in the "strange lands".