Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice please - funeral

Advice please - funeral

Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice please - funeral

We have just had a telephone call from the kids school saying that their caretaker died of a heart attack yesterday. The funeral is tomorrow and the school is closing for the day as a mark of respect. Is there anything I should know as regards protocol? For instance do I send flowers; should we go to the funeral; send a letter of condolence. I just do not know what the correct thing to do is. The school only has 85 children so they would be "missed" if they did not go to the funeral and should have done. I do not want to upset anyone by doing the wrong thing. Advice gratefully received.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:42 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please - funeral

Originally Posted by battlezone123
We have just had a telephone call from the kids school saying that their caretaker died of a heart attack yesterday. The funeral is tomorrow and the school is closing for the day as a mark of respect. Is there anything I should know as regards protocol? For instance do I send flowers; should we go to the funeral; send a letter of condolence. I just do not know what the correct thing to do is. The school only has 85 children so they would be "missed" if they did not go to the funeral and should have done. I do not want to upset anyone by doing the wrong thing. Advice gratefully received.
I would say that unless you knew him personally and were invited to the funeral I would do nothing. The school's closed, so the school are showing respect to him and the family.
Don't you have another childs parent you could call to see what they are going to do?

Don't take what I said as gospel, but if a work colleague died I would say send flowers etc, but this is a school employee so not someone you had any acquaintanceship with I would think.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:16 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
your area may be different.
go to the funeral.you may find that most of the community are going. only attend while the coffin is going to the church and wait untill mass finishes.thats you done.you have shown your respect.the coffin will continue with the family and relitives to the buerial.I dont know about your area but here you just go in normal every day day clothes and no flowers.

Last edited by betris; Sep 28th 2008 at 8:21 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

If you meet any family or close friends of the deceased. The phrase to use is.

Te acompaƱo en el sentimiento.