Advice Please

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Smurphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Please

Me and my partner are thinking about moving to one of the canary islands and possibly getting something like a starter drinks only bar but at the same time I wondered if anyone knew if there was a demand amongst ex-pats for mobile hairdressers - we have a 5 year plan in that we want to plan extensively for this move. I will be a qualified hairdresser by then and my partner a qualified electrician. I am wondering whether to start learning spanish to cope out there and if we were both qualified would we need to have a bar for income or would we do fine with the professions we will have. I also have an 18 month old daughter who will be 6 by the time we go - just wanted a bit of advice if possible and your thoughts on our idea!

thanks

Sx
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Please

Originally Posted by Smurphy
Me and my partner are thinking about moving to one of the canary islands and possibly getting something like a starter drinks only bar but at the same time I wondered if anyone knew if there was a demand amongst ex-pats for mobile hairdressers - we have a 5 year plan in that we want to plan extensively for this move. I will be a qualified hairdresser by then and my partner a qualified electrician. I am wondering whether to start learning spanish to cope out there and if we were both qualified would we need to have a bar for income or would we do fine with the professions we will have. I also have an 18 month old daughter who will be 6 by the time we go - just wanted a bit of advice if possible and your thoughts on our idea!

thanks

Sx
Maybe in 5 years time things will have changed, but at the mo it is dire.
Don`t want to put a downer on it, but if you need to work then it will be very hard to survive, people that have been here years are returning cos it is so hard to exist here now.
Construction will be at a dead stop soon, contracts are just being finished at present and soon another 85,000 in the Malaga region will join the dole queue and that is only the legally working number.
For your husband to work even if he is lucky enough to get a job, he will need to retrain and pass Spanish exams to be able to sign work off.
Every girl that can use a pair of scissors is working as mobile hairdressers or nail technicians.
Revert to plan B.

Ref the bar have a read HERE on an easy way to lose money, everyone advised against it, but they did not listen.

Last edited by jdr; Oct 2nd 2008 at 3:14 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:16 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

canary islands , well there lots up for sale on the islands there but asking the top dog prices and you end up rentting there , think you need few trips down there and look at the bars inside and upside down befor you buy

i know few people that are in the game there and have left it aswell and loss all in there new life

It a 24 hour game there like take on 3rd partner any help just pm me here and chat to you , now wich island are you thinking of aswell
jurdy
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smurphy

thanks

Sx

as jdr said - a lot can happen in 5 years - which is how long we've been here

it seemed to be a bit of a boom time then - and it's as tough as it can be now - more going back every day

a five year plan is a good idea - the most important thing is to not get impatient & just jump on a plane

and start learning spanish NOW!!