Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice on Moving to Spain

Advice on Moving to Spain

Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

nmetcal90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Moving to Spain

I'm considering of moving to Spain but need plenty of advice as it is all new to me.

I am currently 22 years old and have a steady job working in the rail sector and am currently working towards a HNC in either Railway Engineering or Civil Engineering. Are the any job opportunities for working within the Rail/Engineering industries?? I would also consider finding another job of some sort. I wouldnt be looking to move right away as i want to visit a few placesin Spain first and grasp the language a lot better.

The biggest problem for me is that i am not fluent in Spanish, i am currently learning the language.

As it would only be myself moving i wouldnt be looking for any big properties, prices on properties for one person would be appreciated.

How much on average would one person need to settle in around Spain.

If anyone could give me some advice on this then it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Moving to Spain

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:56 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

If you go through the Threads posted on here you should find the one you want..There are plenty of Moving To Spain Threads.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

........and most of them advice against it at the present time, unless you have an income of some sort.
Pete
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:39 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

It isnt just being fluent in day to day Spanish, can you imagine working on a new railway and not speaking the technical bits and barely able to ask where the toilet is
and having an HNC - Spanish employers wouldnt even spit, they have people with degrees up to their armpits they are rejecting
perhaps thats why the AVE has ground to a halt in Granada - too many roads are having to be diverted, bridges built - the engineers are only speaking English.

I know a guy who speaks perfectly good English, qualified architect, degrees, desperate to get out of Spain - at the moment he pumps petrol 2 days a week.
perhaps you would like to do a swop with him ??

good luck for the future, but suggest you get a decade or two of experience before coming here - its experienced people that are needed

sorry
Old Aug 15th 2012, 8:45 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

good luck for the future, but suggest you get a decade or two of experience before coming here - its experienced people that are needed
I'd second that advice - keep gaining experience and make sure you get that HNC.
On a positive note, Spanish rail and construction companies are gaining contracts all over the world, from Vietnham to Turkey, and from Russia to India. Indeed they even get contracts in the UK eg Crossrail http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/lseeinspain/2.../27/crossrail/ and it's not totally beyond possibility that they become involved in the building of HS2. So keep soldiering on (and learning Spanish) and if an opportunity arise to work on a UK project apply for the job. Incidentally Amey/Ferrovial are very big operators in the civil engineering and infrastructure maintenance field in the UK - it may be worth networking with people who work there, to see if there is any possibility of getting s Spanish placement. As Dom says, it's unlikely as they have plenty of local talent to chose from, but you never know.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 3:16 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

They are going to build a railway from LasPlamas to Playa Del Ingles in the Canarie Isles.. when they start is anyones guess..