Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Price of a spanish lawyer wen buying a house?

Price of a spanish lawyer wen buying a house?

Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

stefano2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Price of a spanish lawyer wen buying a house?

Hello all 'nice that i found this site, looks pretty informative, just wanted to know' what would be the overall payment for a spanish lawyer wen buying property ' house/land etc...and is their many hidden costs? besides rates and taxs'

Thank you

Regards stefan
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:26 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of a spanish lawyer wen buying a house?

Lawyers charge 1 to 1.5% of the purchase price.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Often people prefer to use qualified gestors as they frequently have better local knowledge and contacts and are very much cheaper.

The status of a lawyer in Spain is much higher than the sort of professional that you would use in the UK for conveyancing hence the charges are much higher.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply guys' is it a long process' as to have all the paper work and legal side of things done' Fred james how can i find a qualified gestor' and is there any up front charges befor they get to work? Cheers guys for the feed back! very much appreciated *

Regards Stefan
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:31 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stefano2000
Hello all 'nice that i found this site, looks pretty informative, just wanted to know' what would be the overall payment for a spanish lawyer wen buying property ' house/land etc...and is their many hidden costs? besides rates and taxs'

Thank you

Regards stefan
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Rosemary ' glad you guys or here to help
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fred James;10227090]Often people prefer to use qualified gestors as they frequently have better local knowledge and contacts and are very much cheaper.

The status of a lawyer in Spain is much higher than the sort of professional that you would use in the UK for conveyancing hence the charges are much higher.[/QUOTE]

Is that in their own minds ? as they certainly are not more professional in their ability and service , Ive yet to meet a straight one and I`ve dealt with quiet a few over the years.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Rotor;10228252
Is that in their own minds ? as they certainly are not more professional in their ability and service , Ive yet to meet a straight one and I`ve dealt with quiet a few over the years.[/QUOTE]

I agree and would never use one ever again.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 10:02 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor

Is that in their own minds ? as they certainly are not more professional in their ability and service , Ive yet to meet a straight one and I`ve dealt with quiet a few over the years.
It might well be but they are qualified to a higher level than the average conveyancing clerk that handles most property transactions in the UK.

As for your comments about their professionalism that is an entirely different matter and I think most people would agree with you.

I have used gestors for most things in Spain, including property deals and always found them efficient, professional and excellent value.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:20 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I contracted my spanish solicitor to do the conveyancing. She delegated all of the work to her assistant. Much the same as happens in the UK. Her bill was very reasonable and not tied to the house price.

OP: I would suggest find a good Abogado / Gestor and ask for a quote, just as you would do in UK. You will find them in any town. Best to use one to use one local and on a recomendation from someone living in your area.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I contracted my spanish solicitor to do the conveyancing. She delegated all of the work to her assistant. Much the same as happens in the UK. Her bill was very reasonable and not tied to the house price.

OP: I would suggest find a good Abogado / Gestor and ask for a quote, just as you would do in UK. You will find them in any town. Best to use one to use one local and on a recomendation from someone living in your area.
I think the point is that there is no such thing as a solicitor in Spain

You either contract a lawyer or notary. Notaries just say whether documents are legal or not, and are not qualified to give advice. If you want legal advice you should go to a lawyer
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:20 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think the point is that there is no such thing as a solicitor in Spain

You either contract a lawyer or notary. Notaries just say whether documents are legal or not, and are not qualified to give advice. If you want legal advice you should go to a lawyer
YAWN .......... Must you be must pedantic and try to pick fault? If you must, please try to get your facts right.

A lawyer, according to Black's Law Dictionary, is "a person learned in the law ; as an attorney, counsel or solicitor ; a person who is practicing law."
In the UK one would not use a lawyer to do conveyencing. One would use a conveyencing solicitor and I have used the term correctly.

There is no exact equivalent for the terms lawyer / solicitor in spain. Hence I refered to Abogado / Gestor

Spanish have learnt to cope with ignorance of Brits abroad e.g.
We are a Spanish Lawyers Office with highly trained and skilled staff who are used to dealing with the conveyancing process. Spain Solicitor will enable you staff who are used to dealing with the conveyancing process efficiently, economically and quickly.

Whether you are planning to buy, sell or build a property in Spain, Spain Solicitor can guide you through every step of the process and help you ensure a successful outcome. We are ready to listen to your needs, study the case carefully and in detail, keep you informed at all times, giving necessary counselling, defence and professional advise where needed.
If you want legal advice you should go to an Abogado

abogado
1.lawyer, solicitor, counsel.
Abogado can cover some of the functions of all of these professions. Due to the different laws in different countries, there is no exact one for one relationship.
Gestor
some words of warning are also in order. The functions of a gestor overlap with those of an accountant, or contable and an abogado (approximately equal to the solicitor in England). He will gladly take on the work of property transfer, for instance, and while the gestor is allowed to do this he is not the best person for the job. The abogado is where you should go for this..

Last edited by missile; Aug 15th 2012 at 1:24 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:52 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by cricketman
...You either contract a lawyer or notary. Notaries just say whether documents are legal or not, and are not qualified to give advice. If you want legal advice you should go to a lawyer
This is not correct.

One can but does not have to contract an Abogado/Gestor, but one must use a Notario when purchasing / selling a property.

A notario is higher qualification than abogado. He is not permitted to offer advice. http://www.notariado.org/liferay/web...tario/que-hace
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest a gestor was a role created by Franco so that illiterate country dwellers had someone to comlpete the bureacracy needed (and to pay taxes). Whilst they have their own institute, there is no requirement for them to have formal qualifications. I also understand they carry no responsibility for their actions - so for example if they fill in a tax form wrongly and a fine ensues, the client remains responsible and there is no comeback.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
This is not correct.

One can but does not have to contract an Abogado/Gestor, but one must use a Notario when purchasing / selling a property.

A notario is higher qualification than abogado. He is not permitted to offer advice. http://www.notariado.org/liferay/web...tario/que-hace
Yes sorry, I got mixed up with gestor and notario in my rush

Yes you must use a notario to buy or sell a property - and they are very expensive, they do the offical transfer of deeds
Gestores are, well I'm not sure what they are, unqualified people willing to lend a hand to anything for a bit of money, would be the closet definition
Abogados are the only ones who can provide advice when buying/selling that the property and process is legal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.