Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

advice on emigrating

advice on emigrating

Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

georgia79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice on emigrating

ive decided i want to move to spain..single parent with a 8 and 12 year old..
any and as much advice welcolme.....
where do i start ?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:43 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice on emigrating

Originally Posted by georgia79
where do i start ?
Start with education for your children.

Your 8 year old should be fine in state school. However, your 12 year old, unless fluent in Spanish (and I mean fluent) will need to go to an international/British school. This is VERY costly.

Bear in mind also that, depending where you go, your children will also have to learn the local language of Valencian, Catalan etc.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

kevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nice

We are considering the same.Looking to buy in fuerteventura and possibly putting an offer on a property very soon.My advice would be research,research and more research.We are in a different position as our kids are grown up but its a big wrench to leave friends and family.It may be better to go over for an holiday and get a feel for the place you want to live.Check out the schools,transport and the community.Most people would advise to rent first and also rent out your uk property if you have one.If you need to find work it is very difficult at the moment.Hope this doesn't sound too negative and you manage to follow your dreams.Good luck
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: advice on emigrating

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Start with education for your children.

Your 8 year old should be fine in state school. However, your 12 year old, unless fluent in Spanish (and I mean fluent) will need to go to an international/British school. This is VERY costly.

Bear in mind also that, depending where you go, your children will also have to learn the local language of Valencian, Catalan etc.
I agree , our son was 8 when we came over , he just about managed in Spanish school , I think putting your 12 year old into a Spanish school would difficult for them unless they are really good at Spanish .

In saying that it is a great place for kids to grow up

ous were 8 and 4 ( 12 years ago ) when we came over , so they were young enough to adapt .

Now is a great time to buy though

Tony
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

where do i start ?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 21st 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

where do i start ?

Have you means of supporting yourself and 2 kids without the need to work- if not, forget it