Reload this Page >

Advice appreciated

Advice appreciated

Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

connorsinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice appreciated

Hi all.
My wife and have 2 kids age 12 and 9. We are desperate to move out to spain Alicante area preferred. Im looking for work , i have a few options i am a professional singer and have been for 13 years and i am also a qualified network engineer,My full time job ay present is for international pensions so yes i do know all about benefit rights and pensions for all people living abroad, i would happily advise.
Please advise best site to advertise cv and best places to look for work. If it was me and my wife alone i would risk coming out and doing benidorm and surrounding area as a singer, however my girls come first and Schools is a big problem, english school is very expensive and i am frightened that my eldest girl is at too much of a critical stage to try and learn Spanish and achieve good grades. I can speak some Spanish, not fluent because of lack of use but it wouldnt take me long to get back into it.Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if i can help anyone on the forum re pensions winter fuel etc i am happy to help

Rob
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:35 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice appreciated

Welcome Rob.
If you have a read back through very similar posts to yours in the last few weeks, you will see that the general consensus of opinion is that now is most definitely not a good time to be throwing your lot in with Spain. Unemployment here is higher than in the UK (and worse for expats seeking to make a living).
My advice would be to wait until your girls are both through school and then see what the situation is like.
In the meantime come here on holidays, enjoy, and improve your Spanish!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:23 am
Keep smiling

Helpful-Bob will become famous soon enough

My sentiments too.
Now is not the time to move lock stock and barrel..
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Definitely, now is most definitely not the time to be moving to spain. Also, 12 is a very tricky age for your daughter to integrate into a spanish school. My sister was also 12 when my parents moved to spain and after 2 and a half years of difficulties and upset ended up being home tutored by myself through her GCSES (my mother and I are both fluent in spanish). They are all now back in the UK. In my opinion the younger the better as far as children are concerned. Also you have to take into account what language they will teach the children in, my parents were in the provincia de alicante and a lot of the schools taught in their local dialect (valenciano) which is even harder! So a lot of the time we would be sat with my sisters homework having absolutely no idea what she was supposed to be doing, which was very upsetting for her, and frustrating for us. Also, regarding jobs etc, a lot of bars, pubs etc are closing down in benidorm area and singers etc are struggling very much. When you think how much the spanish themselves are struggling with employment that really should tell you how well you would do being english.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:47 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

May be you should read this.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...61SxT4ad-e39zA
You will be up against these folks also looking for work.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

connorsinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys thanks for the honest advice it confirms what i thought. I wouldnt come over as a singer anyway that would just be a bit extra. As i am a civil servant i have had some positive feedback from the embassy the pay is 2100 euros per month is that good?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by connorsinger
Hi guys thanks for the honest advice it confirms what i thought. I wouldnt come over as a singer anyway that would just be a bit extra. As i am a civil servant i have had some positive feedback from the embassy the pay is 2100 euros per month is that good?
You kidding - I don't know anyone who earns that??
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:22 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Gulp!!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:04 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder why it costs so much to get our passports renewed!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

What field of the civil service? Maybe I should suggest my ex moves over here & bring my daughter who I miss every day?????

Forgot to mention: Spainboy is an entertainer somewhere around Benidorm, sad tales of empty streets, no work etc.... look at thread about cities with Brit populations, unfortunately can't remember thread title

Last edited by fionamw; Jan 27th 2009 at 9:24 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice appreciated

Does that mean you would have to located in Madrid for the Embassy. Cost are much higher in the capital just like in London and don't forget if you are not locally engaged staff you would still pay tax and NI to UK before you receive your salary.