Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice about Renting?

Advice about Renting?

Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Advice about Renting?

Hi everyone ...
You all seem so knowledgeable I thought it was worth asking you what you thought about this, and indeed if you had ever heard of such a system!
Our daughter is in Sevilla and needs to move to a new apartment in the New Year. There seem to be plenty available, but a lot of them seem to be owned by Spaniards, who for work reasons, are temporarily based in the UK.

One enterprising owner sent us this reply ... ...
I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for one month of rent will be 500eur, with no extra taxes to pay. The money, I want to revive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it.
Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called TNT which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys.
I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment.

Obviously we know who TNT is, but should we be smelling a rat here? Any thoughts would be most welcome! Thanks!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice about Renting?

You need to have a proper rental contract drawn up detailing what is being paid and what the terms are. Best to have it notarised also.

Has she seen the flat?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the advice about contracts Mitzy ...
She hasn't seen the flat, although he has emailed pictures (which are also posted on a rental website), but he is the only person with the keys and that is why he seems to be suggesting a convoluted arrangement involving TNT delivering the keys and contract to her in Spain, letting her see the flat and read the contract before making up her mind, then taking the money back to him in England if she accepts ...
I am thinking it all sounds a bit odd ...
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I would do a search to see if TNT actually do this. There have been articles recently about scams to do with rental property adverts, so it can't hurt to check.
Where abouts is the flat? as that seems quite dear at the moment too.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I would do a search to see if TNT actually do this. There have been articles recently about scams to do with rental property adverts, so it can't hurt to check.
Where abouts is the flat? as that seems quite dear at the moment too.
Thanks Tim ...
Have done a search and yes, it seems TNT do much more than just deliver stuff and get it signed for...
http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/sit...very_plus.html
As for price ... well it is right in the centre of Sevilla, in the Barrio Santa Cruz, less than 10 minutes walk from her university ... we are only looking for 6 months rental as she is back in England to complete the rest of her degree next academic year ... and to be honest, it is certainly one of the cheaper options, which is why it seemed slightly 'dodgy' ... oh to live in a world where one didn't always have to be suspicious!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing at the moment to prove he is not the old tenant doing a bunk and selling you the keys for 500€`s.
Even if you got the keys and love the place, you still need a contract as Mitzy says to know it`s kosher.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
There is nothing at the moment to prove he is not the old tenant doing a bunk and selling you the keys for 500€`s.
Even if you got the keys and love the place, you still need a contract as Mitzy says to know it`s kosher.

You are being so helpful .. thanks ...

He does mention a contract ... so perhaps we could get it emailed to look at/have checked before we get too involved and only sign it in front of TNT provided that it matches the one we have seen previously?

"The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

By the way ... in case you were thinking, 'why not just walk away?' there seems to be some potential stumbling block with every available flat ...
Every response is really helpful ... and just wish I could meet you all to discuss it face-to-face over a glass of vino blanco, as its always good to look at other people's perspective!

Last edited by noelrosie; Nov 27th 2008 at 4:29 pm. Reason: word omitted
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
Hi everyone ...
You all seem so knowledgeable I thought it was worth asking you what you thought about this, and indeed if you had ever heard of such a system!
Our daughter is in Sevilla and needs to move to a new apartment in the New Year. There seem to be plenty available, but a lot of them seem to be owned by Spaniards, who for work reasons, are temporarily based in the UK.

I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for one month of rent will be 500eur, with no extra taxes to pay. The money, I want to revive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it.
Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called TNT which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys.
I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment.

Obviously we know who TNT is, but should we be smelling a rat here? Any thoughts would be most welcome! Thanks!
has your daughter seen the apartment and met the owner ?

to me it sounds suspicious and along similar lines to other internet/bank transfer scams
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

By the way ... in case you were thinking, 'why not just walk away?' there seems to be some potential stumbling block with every available flat ...
Every response is really helpful ... and just wish I could meet you all to discuss it face-to-face over a glass of vino blanco, as its always good to look at other people's perspective!
Originally Posted by spain
has your daughter seen the apartment and met the owner ?

to me it sounds suspicious and along similar lines to other internet/bank transfer scams

That is exactly what I am worried about ... neither of those things have happened ... but they propose using TNT as an 'intermediary'
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly what I am worried about ... neither of those things have happened ... but they propose using TNT as an 'intermediary'
In my honest opinion I would walk...its not worth the risk of losing money

there must be some Spaniards with places to rent near by, who she can meet face to face
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

jean1947 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a scam was on Watchdog a few weeks ago.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi everyone ...

have a look at some of these

http://www.sevilla5.com/apartments/seville.html
http://www.kyero.com/info/results?cx...&q=sevilla#946
http://www.libercasa.co.uk/sevilla/rentals
http://sevilla.en.craigslist.es/apa/

there is also some info here about similar scams

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

[/I]
It really is so nice you are all prepared to share your thoughts, opinions and helpful links such as these .. I think I will follow my own heart and walk away .. I always believe in business 'If it sounds too good to be true then it is!' but only have limited experience when it comes to property rental!
Thanks so much for your help!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

I guess it's a scam.

www.loquo.com is a website that many people use in Barcelona to look for rental apartments and ALL the ads in English are Nigerian scammers.

They advertise unbelievably cheap flats, in beautiful locations which they nick from other website listings (mainly from the holiday rental market type websites) and then stick a stupidly low price on them.

Be VERY careful. Do not send them any money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.