Advice

Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Tyzer33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice

Hi folks, just joined the forum. I’m hoping to be moving out to Spain at the end of Feb/ begining of March 2013 for a year initially and then hopefully will be able to make it permanent, I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice and point me in the right direction of previous threads as I’m sure everone has asked the same questions hundreds of times. Costa del sol will be my most likely destination but possibly Madrid, obviously I need some advice around jobs and where to search for them, working legally and accomodation etc. I would imagine I will be looking for bar work etc for the first year as my Spanish still needs a good bit of work. There is so much information out there its hard to find genuine info. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:47 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice

Haven't you heard? the world ends in December 2012.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:58 pm
Banned

MrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really nice

Originally Posted by amideislas
Haven't you heard? the world ends in December 2012.
I know that may be a dry humoured joke and all that but why would you post that really ?

Probably scared the fella off from asking anymore questions now if he thinks he's going to get replies like that.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:48 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if that's all it takes to scare him off, then the answers might also.

Besides, so far I don't see anyone rushing to help the guy. Probably because this same thing is asked here every week, and the answers are always the same - and it inevitably ends up in a fight between those who tell the truth and those who blame them for being "negative". Perhaps most just want to avoid the argument.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:00 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tyzer33
Hi folks, just joined the forum. I’m hoping to be moving out to Spain at the end of Feb/ begining of March 2013 for a year initially and then hopefully will be able to make it permanent, I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice and point me in the right direction of previous threads as I’m sure everone has asked the same questions hundreds of times. Costa del sol will be my most likely destination but possibly Madrid, obviously I need some advice around jobs and where to search for them, working legally and accomodation etc. I would imagine I will be looking for bar work etc for the first year as my Spanish still needs a good bit of work. There is so much information out there its hard to find genuine info. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
hi.......

as amideislas has just hinted - & has been said on many threads recently.........

if you have enough savings to keep you going for that year, or however long you're willing to give it before admitting defeat - then by all means come on over - it sounds like you're young, free & single, without dependants - so why not?

you might be one of the lucky few who beat the odds.....which are stacked against you

I read yesterday that unemployment in the UK is falling - it's still climbing here & is at least 3x that of the UK, at +/-25% - getting on for 6 million registered unemployed

also - when you register as resident, (which the Spanish govt. requires after 90 days) you will need to show proof of income & healthcare cover, so you'd need to consider that, too
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
hi.......

as amideislas has just hinted - & has been said on many threads recently.........

if you have enough savings to keep you going for that year, or however long you're willing to give it before admitting defeat - then by all means come on over - it sounds like you're young, free & single, without dependants - so why not?

you might be one of the lucky few who beat the odds.....which are stacked against you

I read yesterday that unemployment in the UK is falling - it's still climbing here & is at least 3x that of the UK, at +/-25% - getting on for 6 million registered unemployed

also - when you register as resident, (which the Spanish govt. requires after 90 days) you will need to show proof of income & healthcare cover, so you'd need to consider that, too
That´s a laugh register as resident.............I have been trying and can´t!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
That´s a laugh register as resident.............I have been trying and can´t!
must just be some offices............

one of the 3 we could use from here has stopped doing resident certs completely - too complicated.........

the others are issuing again though, and reading various forums it seems things are pretty much back to normal pretty much everywhere
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:29 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMckenna
I know that may be a dry humoured joke and all that but why would you post that really ?

Probably scared the fella off from asking anymore questions now if he thinks he's going to get replies like that.
Are you being serious?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

must just be some offices............

one of the 3 we could use from here has stopped doing resident certs completely - too complicated.........

the others are issuing again though, and reading various forums it seems things are pretty much back to normal pretty much everywhere
Not in my town! Went yesterday and told they were still waiting for information.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the OP had followed the economic and political situation in Europe even a little over the past couple of years or so, surely he(?) would be able to go a long way toward answering the question himself.
The economic outlook in Europe is pretty dire and Spain has one of the worst unemployment rates in Europe.
And what's this 'Costa Del Sol' or 'Madrid'? Based upon what criteria? Bar work?
London, for example, is full of young people from around the world, including Greece & Spain, working in its bars. Why does he think this is?
My advice, come for a holiday, then get back to reality, get a proper job or a better education.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Probably because this same thing is asked here every week, and the answers are always the same - and it inevitably ends up in a fight between those who tell the truth and those who blame them for being "negative". Perhaps most just want to avoid the argument.
Spot on! It follows the usual patter, jobs are almost impossible to come by, o no they're not, loads of well paid IT, TEFL jobs!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biffta
If the OP had followed the economic and political situation in Europe even a little over the past couple of years or so, surely he(?) would be able to go a long way toward answering the question himself.
The economic outlook in Europe is pretty dire and Spain has one of the worst unemployment rates in Europe.
And what's this 'Costa Del Sol' or 'Madrid'? Based upon what criteria? Bar work?
London, for example, is full of young people from around the world, including Greece & Spain, working in its bars. Why does he think this is?
My advice, come for a holiday, then get back to reality, get a proper job or a better education.
I asked for advice not for someone to try to make a mug out of me I am fully aware of the situatuion in Spain. I am looking for Costa del Sol or Madrid because its 2 areas I like, when you want to move somewhere you tend to pick between places you like. If you read my question properly you would see I am looking for bar work to begin with as my language isnt up to scratch yet. I am not an idiot I have a good proper job, I am highly educated with a degree in mechanical engineering, I have counselling qualifications and I also have a trade. I want to live in Spain its a dream of mine. Why would you bother even replying to my post if thats your attitude. I have a goal and I will achieve it.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I asked for advice not for someone to try to make a mug out of me I am fully aware of the situatuion in Spain. I am looking for Costa del Sol or Madrid because its 2 areas I like, when you want to move somewhere you tend to pick between places you like. If you read my question properly you would see I am looking for bar work to begin with as my language isnt up to scratch yet. I am not an idiot I have a good proper job, I am highly educated with a degree in mechanical engineering, I have counselling qualifications and I also have a trade. I want to live in Spain its a dream of mine. Why would you bother even replying to my post if thats your attitude. I have a goal and I will achieve it.
OK - so the long term aim is to pursue the engineering or counselling here?

in that case you need to get the degree recognised here, which might mean doing extra studies, and contact the organisation you got the counselling quals from to see if they are recognised or transferable - the same with whatever your 'trade' is

honestly though - if you have a good proper job, the best advice anyone can give you is to stay put for now, make a lot of recces to areas you think you might chose to live in, study Spanish & find out about your quals as I said above

then if/when things improve here you'll be well placed to move
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

OK - so the long term aim is to pursue the engineering or counselling here?

in that case you need to get the degree recognised here, which might mean doing extra studies, and contact the organisation you got the counselling quals from to see if they are recognised or transferable - the same with whatever your 'trade' is

honestly though - if you have a good proper job, the best advice anyone can give you is to stay put for now, make a lot of recces to areas you think you might chose to live in, study Spanish & find out about your quals as I said above

then if/when things improve here you'll be well placed to move
Thank you for your answer, a lot more helpful.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

OK Tyzer point taken. Just be realistic. There have been quite a few similar posts recently and it would be worthwhile having a look at them. Be realistic and be honest with yourself. If you are really determined give it a go, you never know you might be posting yourself that you made it. Then again you might not. I would suggest that you go for a holiday and have a look, talk to people, and see for yourself. If you know somebody who could put you up, it would be an advantage, and save you a lot of cash. In any case if you are that determined, then at the very least will you get a holiday out of it.
Pete

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.