Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ADSL plus landline

ADSL plus landline

Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default ADSL plus landline

I am with Vodafone at the moment (wired ADSL plus "landline" via mobile sim). It works quite well and I get about 5mb in Altea plus 1000 free minutes per month to spanish landlines - total cost about 41 euros per month. My "permanency" is about to end - also I am moving house soon (to Oliva). I see lots of offers around but can't decide whether to stick with Vodafone or see if there are any better deals around. Any views??

I was with Telefonica at one time - have they improved their service? When I cancelled with them I had to jump through hoops and said I would never deal with them again. There don't seem to be so many complaints about them as there used to be - is that because they have improved or because people have left them in droves?

Last edited by petew; Jul 15th 2010 at 7:03 pm. Reason: spelling misteak
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all
Default Re: ADSL plus landline

if you are getting 5 mbps down a track phone and that is constant......wow.

where you move to you may have signal problems. Go to a vodaphone outlet and ask them what the coverage will be for that area. If you do manage to get a landline, remember it will down to telefrustration to install and mantain it. Regardles of which company you get the bill from,. it's tele*****up who decides who does and who doesn't get a line
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

We are with Telefonica and have never had problems, 35euro a month 10mb (well lol) hubby play WOW and I do my own thing on wireless, so for around less than 80 euro a month we have free national and local calls and internet. They all seem to be about the same price, whatever the offer, read the small print, ends up about the same.

If we have problems with internet, Telefonica sort it, if with landline they are out within the next working day.

I know some have had problems with Telefonica, but we so far never had, and had them 7 years now
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunmovin
if you are getting 5 mbps down a track phone and that is constant......wow.

where you move to you may have signal problems. Go to a vodaphone outlet and ask them what the coverage will be for that area. If you do manage to get a landline, remember it will down to telefrustration to install and mantain it. Regardles of which company you get the bill from,. it's tele*****up who decides who does and who doesn't get a line
Sorry - what's a track phone? - my adsl is through a normal line. Fortunately I can try my vodafone mobile and usb dongle in Oliva before I decide, to see what the signal is like. It was tel****up who installed my existing adsl in Altea and they were quite efficient (!) but still I count their involvement as a minus point. My Vodafone service includes a usb dongle which can be used free if the adsl isn't working but it's pretty slow even if there's a 3g signal.
I am only paying 41 euros for adsl and 1000 mins per month to spanish landlines - 80 euros looks quite expensive.

Last edited by petew; Jul 15th 2010 at 9:16 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

I use Connecta4's 2mb service but only average 1.2mb which for the price is a rip off. If they don't sort it out soon my contract will be cancelled!

5mb with Vodafone for €41 is brilliant
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Vodaphone €35

Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

Telefonica or Movistar as they're now known, do regularly have some of the best deals for adsl and I think there has been some improvement in customer service, not a lot, but some. Europa, Telitec, etc are worth researching if you're moving house although they seem to get as much stick as big T.

http://www.movistar.es/on/

Up to 10 mb at 19.90 a month for 12 months !!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your getting 5mb for that price and you can get than when you move DONT CHANGE!
Telefonica have done nothing to improve their service and other suppliers i.e Jazztel, Midas etc only use Telefonica's Infrastructure.

Another alternative is to use a wireless supplier, this is something I can help with but unfortunately not in your area.
If you do use a wireless Internet provider ask them to show you the speeds that you would get when they conduct a site survey from your property.
Make sure they show you the upload speed aswell as download as this is important for VOIP.
Many providers oversell their connections and then blame other factors when the client complains.
If anyone needs any information on Wireless Internet or any other I.T Related matter then let me know.

Neil
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
I am with Vodafone at the moment (wired ADSL plus "landline" via mobile sim). It works quite well and I get about 5mb in Altea plus 1000 free minutes per month to spanish landlines - total cost about 41 euros per month. My "permanency" is about to end - also I am moving house soon (to Oliva). I see lots of offers around but can't decide whether to stick with Vodafone or see if there are any better deals around. Any views??

I was with Telefonica at one time - have they improved their service? When I cancelled with them I had to jump through hoops and said I would never deal with them again. There don't seem to be so many complaints about them as there used to be - is that because they have improved or because people have left them in droves?
Be sure to check with any prospective supplier that your phone line will take broadband. My friend lives in Oliva and his line will not take broadband. This was indicated by RTN, Europa and Telefonica when he inquired.

This may be of course down to the area that he lives in which is just off the Pego road which is not exactly 'Old Town' Having said that another friend who lives not half a mile from him can get broadband no problem. But it pays to check
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

I have been with Telefonica now for three years, my monthly bill is never over 49 euros and for this I get 3mb and free calls to Spanish landlines. Have heard loads of anti-telefonica stories but,touch wood,they have been all right with me.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't have any problems with your line then Telefonica are ok.
It's when something goes wrong the fun starts.
It's not just a language problem either. I've had Spanish Freinds who dispair at them.
As a rule of thumb if your located relatively close to a bank then you can get a good ADSL signal.

Neil
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael74
Be sure to check with any prospective supplier that your phone line will take broadband. My friend lives in Oliva and his line will not take broadband. This was indicated by RTN, Europa and Telefonica when he inquired.

This may be of course down to the area that he lives in which is just off the Pego road which is not exactly 'Old Town' Having said that another friend who lives not half a mile from him can get broadband no problem. But it pays to check
I assume the infrastructure is Telefonica wherever you are. A Telefonica technician installed my present ADSL using the old phone wires in the flat which hadn't been active for several years.

I put the Oliva address in on the Vodafone website and it said ADSL is available - the neighbours have it so I think I am o.k. I have considered 3g internet but in Altea,before my ADSL was set up,I used it and only got about 300kb's. It all went pretty smoothly when they installed for me in Altea but maybe I was just lucky.