Reload this Page >

ADSL in Coma-Ruga / El Vendrell

ADSL in Coma-Ruga / El Vendrell

Old May 21st 2014, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

cyclotourist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADSL in Coma-Ruga / El Vendrell

Hi,

We are buying a house in Coma-Ruga (municipality of El Vendrell, province of Tarragona) next week. We'd like to have ADSL installed asap. I've been looking at the various offerings, and like in most countries (like France, where we are living now) the choice is mind-boggling. After reading a few posts, it looks like if you want ADSL + a cellphone, packages are the way to go, price-wise. I also understand that regardless of the provider, you need to pay for the physical line connection (cuota de linea) in addition to the ADSL service.

Are there any ISP's which you would recommend, as far as quality of service and tech support are concerned ? Likewise (without exposing the site to lawsuits) any that we should stay away from ? I hear of delays ranging from a week to 3-4 weeks. The current owners of the house have ADSL (from Telefonica) and I tested it in real-time at 6 Mbps which is marginal (we currently have 15-16) but acceptable, so we know the service is available.

Our main concern is ADSL, not mobile or fixed telephony; we both work in IT-related fields and need good, wired access (we're not interested in satellite or 3G/4G access, as these are invariably slow and have quotas and the like -- however we will make do with 3G until ADSL access is installed). The location we will be buying does not have fibre or cable.

Cheers,

Cyclotourist
Old May 28th 2014, 10:00 am
njf
Forum Regular

njf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ADSL in Coma-Ruga / El Vendrell

You may want to consider Jazztel and, if you do, there is an English speaking online broker you could contact. The one advantage they have is that they have their own equipment in many exchanges so that they can offer up to 30Mb download and 1Mb upload. Most, if not all, other ISPs just use the Telefonica equipment so it is unlikely their speeds will be better than Telefonica's.

Before I signed with Jazztel a couple of years ago, I read a lot of reviews. The contract I have is a rolling monthly contract but the main criticism of them is that they try to resist you cancelling and may refuse to transfer your line back to any ISP other than Telefonica. However, as I have never tried to cancel, I have no experience of this.

The other issue you may have a problem with is that their technical support is pretty much only in Spanish, unless you can find one of their tech support people (who seem to be in Colombia in South America) who also speaks English.

We have had very few difficulties with our connection and we get about 11Mb download routinely.

It may be worth your at least enquiring with them whether they have equipment in your local exchange and what speed they estimate you should get. They usually only need your landline number to check.
Old May 28th 2014, 12:46 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

We're very happy with our Jazztel service and we're exceeding their upload/download speeds with 33mb download & 3mb upload. We did have a small issue with them when we first signed up and they sent us a 7" Samsung tablet for free. Without a doubt the most professional and helpful ISP I've come across in Spain.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

I'm in Cambrils, Tarragona region and have had Telefonica for the last 13 years without problem. It once went down for an hour, phone line as well. When it came back on I received a call telling me that they just upped my speed to 6Mbps from 3Mbps for free!! Since then they have given me 10Mbps again for free or should I say without any extra charge, in reality I get 8.6Mbps. Friend nearby had Jazztel for 5 years with many drop outs and every time Jazztel blamed Telefonica's equipment. He is back with Telefonica now.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

cyclotourist is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your replies. I think we will go with Telefonica/Movistar for now, and then look at other options when we are there.

Cheers,

Cyclotourist