Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Looking at properties

Looking at properties

Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking at properties

Hola, my first post........ I am 58 and hope to live the dream and retire to Espana in 3/4 years time. So i am researching areas ( cleverboy) I will be looking at property this week in Fuengirola area. I will be looking to spend €200,000 for a Villa, min 2 beds and private pool. It will my wife and i retiring. I will be visiting estate agents to view properties. Am i wasting The estate agents time knowing i am not moving till the future. Also is it boring to make the first question "is it legal". Cheers for reading .....these questions must bore most of you! keith.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at properties

Originally Posted by Keithtoon
Hola, my first post........ I am 58 and hope to live the dream and retire to Espana in 3/4 years time. So i am researching areas ( cleverboy) I will be looking at property this week in Fuengirola area. I will be looking to spend €200,000 for a Villa, min 2 beds and private pool. It will my wife and i retiring. I will be visiting estate agents to view properties. Am i wasting The estate agents time knowing i am not moving till the future. Also is it boring to make the first question "is it legal". Cheers for reading .....these questions must bore most of you! keith.
Well they will be looking to sell you a property there and then, anything currently on their books will, hopefully, not be there when you are moving, but it will at least give you a chance to look round at the various parts, and the sort of places available. However, what will happen to the prices in the next few years is anyones guess as there is a vast stock of empty houses, so still a buyers market.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 9:28 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola and Welcome to the forum,

First ASK THE QUESTION "Is it legal" until you´re sick in the face. I live happily in an illegal property but many couldn´t, so ask, ask and ask.

Secondly, wise money says rent for a year - and even given your timescale, don´t buy until you are sure. Thirdly, learn Spanish; NO don´t play at it, learn it like your life depends on it. Many people just can´t get on with it so late in life and are quickly disillusioned.

Lastly - keep reading this forum and asking questions.

Good luck

Davexf
Old Jun 14th 2014, 1:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 14th 2014, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Having a friend who is an agent around here, she has to drive 30kms to get to this area and yes it does annoy her when people are just time waster, ( she does get quite a few genuine people) she doesn't get reimbursed her fuel, before anyone asks yes she is very reputable, does the selling and transfers everything and before the property is on the books, she also makes sure it is 100% legal

Just saying from the other side
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute

Theres me thinking i was manning up to ask if it was wise to view property via Estate Agent,,, they are the ones hounding me me me to come over to view properties, therefore i was being polite in my question, listen everyone 'i will pay your petrol/diesel' if you want me to buy property in CDS..... I am only doing my research.....whos going to to pay for my flight if an estate agent trys to B@llshit me. #symphathyforthedevil
Old Jun 15th 2014, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keith, Welcome to the forum. You are due to retire. These should be your happiest days lazing in the sun, having the occasional glass, walking, reading, dreaming etc.

If you are hell-bent on purchasing any kind of property in Spain live here first for at least six months off season. Rental properties are easy to pick up for around €550 per month rental. All of your questions will be answered truthfully during this period. Forget about estate agents, God can they talk up any situation?

If you don't want to lumber your retirement with Residentias, Health Care Worry, Non-Ease of Mind, a plethora of Spanish taxes, renting is the way to go. It gives you plenty of room for retreat and for around €3500 per six months you can have the best of both worlds while spending your summer months in the UK and the rest in Spain.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keith, Welcome to the forum. You are due to retire. These should be your happiest days lazing in the sun, having the occasional glass, walking, reading, dreaming etc.

If you are hell-bent on purchasing any kind of property in Spain live here first for at least six months off season. Rental properties are easy to pick up for around €550 per month rental. All of your questions will be answered truthfully during this period. Forget about estate agents, God can they talk up any situation?

If you don't want to lumber your retirement with Residentias, Health Care Worry, Non-Ease of Mind, a plethora of Spanish taxes, renting is the way to go. It gives you plenty of room for retreat and for around €3500 per six months you can have the best of both worlds while spending your summer months in the UK and the rest in Spain.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Theres me thinking i was manning up to ask if it was wise to view property via Estate Agent,,, they are the ones hounding me me me to come over to view properties, therefore i was being polite in my question, listen everyone 'i will pay your petrol/diesel' if you want me to buy property in CDS..... I am only doing my research.....whos going to to pay for my flight if an estate agent trys to B@llshit me. #symphathyforthedevil
Hi Keith,

Most will say you should rent first, but it doesn't always have to be the case. You can rent for years in an area and still buy the wrong property, be it the UK or Spain. Every case is different and only you can decide what you want and what you can afford. Some buy in Spain and eventually notice they don't want to live in Spain permanently, but you can still rent in the UK for part of the year. All I can say is that you shouldn't look for estate agents focused on foreigners. Search the websites and get a feeling for prices and areas. We bought a plot in a residential area (private seller) and it was no problem. I did my research, used a good lawyer and it was a real bargain.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leper

Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Looking at properties

Great idea to do your research but your question is Am I wasting the estate agents time and the simple answer is YES. The stock of property will be different and so will the prices in two years time. Come and rent first just to see how you get on and if you like it then start looking around seriously but having worked for two large agents on the coast I would say that you will not get very far if you say to someone I am looking to buy in two years time. Same anywhere really even in the UK.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of wasting your time looking at properties you would aid your research much more by looking at a variety of different areas. Seeing a place on the internet or in photo´s does not give you much idea of the atmosphere of a place. When looking around obviously you will see the types of property on offer at the moment and looking in estate agents windows will give you some idea of prices and what you can get for your money in that particular area.

My husband liked a flat in a smaller town than we ended up in, he particularly liked the outlook but when we went to the town to investigate we did not rate the town at all. The town we chose felt like home as soon as we entered it but could not say why at all.

You cannot beat touring around for a good insight into what fits you or does not fit you as people.

Rosemary
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Hola, Thank you all for your replies. I am flying to Malaga tonight to look at different areas (staying in Fuengirola). Next year I will look at Almeria. Research Research!!!
thank for all you thoughtful comments.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:29 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Where ever you look at, check out when the local fiestas are on particularly hogueras & visit. You may find your ideal place is right next to the spot that all the fireworks get let off. We are not talking fizzle, fizzle pop but BOOM, rattle windows, boom , boom, & no it's not just once a year.
Just a thought.

Suzi

Last edited by Grebo; Jun 16th 2014 at 7:31 am.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Grebo
Where ever you look at, check out when the local fiestas are on particularly hogueras & visit. You may find your ideal place is right next to the spot that all the fireworks get let off. We are not talking fizzle, fizzle pop but BOOM, rattle windows, boom , boom, & no it's not just once a year.
Just a thought.

Suzi
Excellent idea.

That is something that we never considered at all but are lucky in that although our street is of major importance regarding processions and fiestas no fireworks occur in it. My friend lives in the town hall square and until a couple of years ago the main mascleta was held there and she lost ornaments, glasses and even a window due to the extreme vibrations caused.

Rosemary