Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ADSL in Calafell, Tarragona province.

ADSL in Calafell, Tarragona province.

Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

cyclotourist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADSL in Calafell, Tarragona province.

Hi, we are looking at buying a property in the Mas Mel neighbourhood of Calafell. Having ADSL is vital for my professional needs once we move there. The current owners don't have it, and actually don't even have a land-line phone -- they only use their cell phone and connect to the internet via 3G when they need to.

They asked Telefonica, and they got a jumble of technical information which was totally garbled by the time they quoted it back to me. They obviously confuse 3G wireless and 3 Megabits per second etc. As I work in IT, I know my way around that industry, and therefore know that asking the regular marketing channels will be a non-starter.

Is there a website which shows the distance from any address to the nearest DSLAM so at least I can get an idea of what I can expect to have ? The property is in an established, urbanised area, so I can't think of any reason why we should not be able to get some access. I understand I can't expect big-city speeds, but I would think that speeds in the order of 8-10 should be attainable. In France, where we live now, there are at least two such sites which give you the cable distance to your DSLAM based on your postal address or current land-line phone number.

If a site doesn't exist, would someone on the forum know of technically competent sources (network installers, etc) in the area who could give me the REAL data (as opposed to theoretical or maximum, which is what the providers obviously want you to believe but is almost never achieved ?

The Mas Mel neighbourhood is here, on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/Ueo5J -- to give you an idea of the location.

Regards,
Cyclotourist
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice
Default Re: ADSL in Calafell, Tarragona province.

Originally Posted by cyclotourist
Hi, we are looking at buying a property in the Mas Mel neighbourhood of Calafell. Having ADSL is vital for my professional needs once we move there. The current owners don't have it, and actually don't even have a land-line phone -- they only use their cell phone and connect to the internet via 3G when they need to.

They asked Telefonica, and they got a jumble of technical information which was totally garbled by the time they quoted it back to me. They obviously confuse 3G wireless and 3 Megabits per second etc. As I work in IT, I know my way around that industry, and therefore know that asking the regular marketing channels will be a non-starter.

Is there a website which shows the distance from any address to the nearest DSLAM so at least I can get an idea of what I can expect to have ? The property is in an established, urbanised area, so I can't think of any reason why we should not be able to get some access. I understand I can't expect big-city speeds, but I would think that speeds in the order of 8-10 should be attainable. In France, where we live now, there are at least two such sites which give you the cable distance to your DSLAM based on your postal address or current land-line phone number.

If a site doesn't exist, would someone on the forum know of technically competent sources (network installers, etc) in the area who could give me the REAL data (as opposed to theoretical or maximum, which is what the providers obviously want you to believe but is almost never achieved ?

The Mas Mel neighbourhood is here, on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/Ueo5J -- to give you an idea of the location.

Regards,
Cyclotourist
http://www.adslnet.es/distancia-adsl.html Is this any good?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:44 am
Just Joined

cyclotourist is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by olivia
Hi Olivia and thanks. At first glance, the site does exactly what I want. It even gives me ideal (13,220 kbps), estimated (7,932 kbps), ideal with an 80% probability (10,576) and estimated with an 80% probability (6,345 kbps), which are all quite good ... and then proceeds to show three offers (Jazztel, Yacom and Tele2) all at 3,072 kbps !

I understand that these providers are probably the ones funding the website, but then why don't they offer something akin to what is quoted above ?

If the site is correct about the distances, then from what I know, the associated speeds are also more or less correct, so I should be able to get something better than these three providers quote by calling Telefonica or Orange.

Thanks,

Cyclotourist
Old Oct 17th 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by cyclotourist
Hi Olivia and thanks. At first glance, the site does exactly what I want. It even gives me ideal (13,220 kbps), estimated (7,932 kbps), ideal with an 80% probability (10,576) and estimated with an 80% probability (6,345 kbps), which are all quite good ... and then proceeds to show three offers (Jazztel, Yacom and Tele2) all at 3,072 kbps !

I understand that these providers are probably the ones funding the website, but then why don't they offer something akin to what is quoted above ?

If the site is correct about the distances, then from what I know, the associated speeds are also more or less correct, so I should be able to get something better than these three providers quote by calling Telefonica or Orange.

Thanks,

Cyclotourist
Hi
I am sure you know far more than me on this subject and hope someone comes along to help you with more technical advice.
The link cropped up on this site some time ago and I saved it thinking it may be handy sometime and infact it was last month. Thanks to that poster.
We are only half time in Spain and are reluctant to sign up for things that are monthly for the full year. With the likely loss of satalite signal down in the south of Spain we decided to check out broadband. The site was very helpful showing what we could expect and how many mts we are from the exchange. We also did a speed test at a neighbours property. They use Europa Network and are very happy with it. The speed we get here is between 6 and 9 on a 10megabite deal with Movister which we now have installed. It comes with a package of calls to Spanish landlines and mobiles.
Olivia