Adsl Broadband

Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adsl Broadband

At the moment am on the pay as you go option with Telefonica. Thinking of going for ADSL 1mb (that's all we can get in Chiclana I understand) but unsure whether to stick to Telefonica or try Wanadoo. Wanadoo is cheaper for the first couple of months and the Router is free. However, I have a gut feeling that if I don't go with Telefonica somehow they will still find a way to charge me!! Can someone out there advise. Also do I need a Router with one p.c. as Telefonica charge 34 euros for one?
Old Nov 13th 2005, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Adsl Broadband

Originally Posted by glynis
At the moment am on the pay as you go option with Telefonica. Thinking of going for ADSL 1mb (that's all we can get in Chiclana I understand) but unsure whether to stick to Telefonica or try Wanadoo. Wanadoo is cheaper for the first couple of months and the Router is free. However, I have a gut feeling that if I don't go with Telefonica somehow they will still find a way to charge me!! Can someone out there advise. Also do I need a Router with one p.c. as Telefonica charge 34 euros for one?
Hello glynis,
I use Telefonica at the moment for ADSL it costs me about 39 euros per month but I get all Spanish landline phone calls for free as part of the deal. I have to pay for calls to mobiles. I use Telecom Direct to phone the UK, Also the moden was free from Telefonica and the speed is 1gb.

As for a router you can buy one from anywhere for about the same as you have been quote'd for, Wanadoo is cheeper for ADSL but the drawback is that you have limited download per month, whereas Telefonica is unlimited download.

Swings and roundabouts springs comes to mind. Good luck.

David SR.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countryboy
Hello glynis,
I use Telefonica at the moment for ADSL it costs me about 39 euros per month but I get all Spanish landline phone calls for free as part of the deal. I have to pay for calls to mobiles. I use Telecom Direct to phone the UK, Also the moden was free from Telefonica and the speed is 1gb.

As for a router you can buy one from anywhere for about the same as you have been quote'd for, Wanadoo is cheeper for ADSL but the drawback is that you have limited download per month, whereas Telefonica is unlimited download.

Swings and roundabouts springs comes to mind. Good luck.

David SR.
Thanks for that. Think I will end up with Telefonica. What about the line rental does that sstay the same?
What are your average telephone bills?
Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that. Think I will end up with Telefonica. What about the line rental does that sstay the same?
Hello glynis,
As I have said we use ADSL for our internet connection and the cost of that is 39:90 euros PM, the line rental is 19:10 euros PM inc IVA. total 59:00 euros inc IVA.

we get local and national calls to land lind numbers free in Spain. We pay for mobile calls so the bills ave 66:00 euros a month, (that includes the 59:00 from above)

We use telecom direct for calls back to the UK at about 5 cents per min.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

We've been using ya.com for ADSL for 3 years now. We've moved once, which set up a new account (annoying because of the break), but they didn't bother asking for their equipment back and the new service included a decent wireless router.

I've now got a spare wired router from the first ya.com deal, plus a spare wireless router I used with that, though it may not have an ADSL input. The wireless router provided free with the ya.com has been working happily.

Apart from the need to set up a new account and the attendant delay + email address changes, availability has been pretty good.

I'd recommend using a router, wireless if you can get one. They're not really expensive, but the flexibility wireless allows you if you're using a laptop or have more than one PC (perhaps one for visitors/children) is worth it. I've got the main pc connected directly to the router, plus a laptop connected wirelessly from anywhere in the house, plus a server in the basement with music and backup functions connected wirelessly. When the children need it, I'll be able to wirelessly hook up old pcs for them to work with in their rooms. All with internet access through the router, and yes, they can all download simultaneaously.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Coralsoft. Have been looking at ya.com spanish website and it seems that you can get 24 hr access for 19.90 per month which seems really, really cheap. Am I reading this correctly? Also there is no contact number. I don't know whether it is available in my part of the world - chiclana, Cadiz!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had some really poor feedback about Wanadoo customer service. It seems that they have been having problems try to satisfy demand....but don't just take my work for it.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Thanks Coralsoft. Have been looking at ya.com spanish website and it seems that you can get 24 hr access for 19.90 per month which seems really, really cheap. Am I reading this correctly? Also there is no contact number. I don't know whether it is available in my part of the world - chiclana, Cadiz!
And would you believe I've spent a large proportion of the last 24 hours dealing with a broken router, after giving it the thumbs up? Grrrr.

Much messing about confirmed that the power supply was broken, a new power supply enabled confirmation that the router was now misbehaving and I couldn't get an older router configured to work. Customer support hinted that it may take a few days for a new one to be delivered.

A visit to an IT friend this morning saw me watching his ADSL/Telefonica installation. Quote of the day from a telephone engineer: "Have you got a screwdriver I can borrow?". What? You spend all day doing wiring and you've no screwdriver!

After problems with his router, he resorted to an old router (that I'd been hoping to borrow) and was able to get something, so after several hours in hope, I had to take a trip into MediaMarkt on the way home.

Except I couldn't get that new one configured, so after much fiddling, another call to customer/tech services to get the config details for the old router (now available after a reset and finding the password in the manual), a bit more fiddling and I'm in!!

I luv computers, I really do. Not the bane of my life at all, oh no, sirree!