ADSL

Old Jan 9th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default ADSL

Good afternoon our search for a villa is seemingly coming to an end and the end being Javea.

We are organising a visit tomorrow so we shall see.

The villa is on a development some five minutes away from the Arenal beach in Javea.

What bandwidth please are we likely to obtain? And equally if I may who are the main and better players in the market in Spain?

I do know that Free beer has a search engine but does one need the telephone number to conduct the search?

best wishes
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:59 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADSL

you might like to try

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...internet+speed

the problem is Spain is still very much a "who comes first gets first" tempered by "he who shouts the loudest".
there are people with huge internet speed whilst round the corner they are lucky to get 1mb
I live in a street with telephone cables at each end but nothing inbetween. Telefonica engineer refused to allow us to have aerial bundling across or along the street-it must all be below ground now. So we have a wireless dish pointing to the antenna in the next village, although we are only 22 miles from Granada.

hth

Last edited by Domino; Jan 9th 2013 at 1:19 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Swisscable is available in Javea? Will have a look

thanks
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Telefonica/Movistar is the first company you should contact. Their prices are now very competitive.

The speed you will get will depend entirely on how far you are from the exchange but from the location you describe I would be very surprised if 3mb/sec was not available which is adequate for most things and generally you get close to the advertised speed. You may well get up to 10mb/sec.

Availability of lines is much less of a problem now than it used to be.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks again am so grateful to this site
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

julie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant future

After much deliberation and advice from this forum, we decided to change our internet provider to Movistar Fusion. We live in a new build property, now 7 years old, and have never had a 'telefonica landline' although there are telephone socket points scattered around the house.

The Engineers came to the property to connect us, and informed us that the builders had not connected the wiring from the house to the telephone box in the street!!!

Unfortunately we now have completed tiled areas, walls etc., has anybody got any advice on how we can connect from the house to the telefonica box and also, I assume, special wiring is required, where we can obtain this.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Porth
Good afternoon our search for a villa is seemingly coming to an end and the end being Javea.

We are organising a visit tomorrow so we shall see.

The villa is on a development some five minutes away from the Arenal beach in Javea.

What bandwidth please are we likely to obtain? And equally if I may who are the main and better players in the market in Spain?

I do know that Free beer has a search engine but does one need the telephone number to conduct the search?

best wishes
Go with Telefonica they might not be the cheapest , but they are extremely reliable , I have 6 mg Broadband fast and reliable 39 euros a month.
I have Swiss cable TV 40 Channels including all the British ones, they are also the best around for the Javea area, 27 euros a month , and an initial outlay for the Digital Box, I think about 300 euros.
I can't comment on there Broadband Service , but if it is anything like the TV it will be reliable.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks so very much very grateful
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigD
Go with Telefonica they might not be the cheapest , but they are extremely reliable , I have 6 mg Broadband fast and reliable 39 euros a month.

:
Time you gave them a call. Their current rate for 10mb/sec ADSL is now only €19.90.

If you don't complain they will leave it like that for ever.

I now pay €49.90 for ADSL, landline, free national calls and some free calls to mobiles, plus a mobile contract with free calls (500 mins/mth) unlimited texts and 1gb data for €49.90
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Telefonic is Spain's BT? Do they have shops or offices in all of the main towns please. Schoolboy Spanish I am afraid and that was a long time ago.

Is there like Orange here in France an English speaking helpline please?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:11 pm

Yes, Movistar ( which is the trading name now for Telefonica) have shops all over the place. Most hypermarkets have one. They are good for mobiles but they are not the best place to go for if you want to connect a new property. If you call 1004 they will sort you out or you can do it online.

On the 1004 number they they do speak good English and are generally very helpful if you want to buy something.

If you read all the forums they have a dreadful reputation but I have to say they do now seem to be getting their act together with regard to prices and customer care.

Last edited by Fred James; Jan 9th 2013 at 5:13 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, Movistar ( which is the trading name now for Telefonica) have shops all over the place. Most hypermarkets have one. They are good for mobiles but they are not the best place to go for if you want to connect a new property. If you call 1004 they will sort you out or you can do it online.

On the 1004 number they they do speak good English and are generally very helpful if you want to buy something.

If you read all the forums they have a dreadful reputation but I have to say they do now seem to be getting their act together with regard to prices and customer care.
Beware of the movistar shops they are all franchises. I recently changed to a cheap contract for mobile phone, I could not use my existing vodaphone phone as it wouldnt accept the movistar card so I purchased as I thought a new phone, only to find out later that the said 'new' phone is over 6 years old and you cannot by a car charger for it and its recharge is needed every day)antique battery). On returning to the shop I asked to pay the difference for a 'new' phone, and they have refused and there is no where to go for recompense., So I now need to buy another phone elsewhere, what a waste of 43euros.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:22 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Slightly off topic but beware of Movistar - almost impossible to cancel the contract !!! two recorded delivery letters, plus one very long telephone call, and a visit to bank to regain the direct debit and stop further ones (hopefully).

Davexf
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

I agree - even their accounts dept seems to be getting its act together

I've never in 9 years had a problem with supply from them - good speeds, problems solved promptly & connections made quickly whenever we've moved

the accounts dept used to be a nightmare though - but things were always resolved eventually, meaning I've even managed to get refunds on a couple of occasions!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
Telefonic is Spain's BT? Do they have shops or offices in all of the main towns please. Schoolboy Spanish I am afraid and that was a long time ago.

Is there like Orange here in France an English speaking helpline please?
We recently switched from BT Arrakis to 900 Telecom & currently pay around €42 monthly for ADSL + calls. They have a free helpline & perhaps important for many people in Spain, they are British, so you have no problem with language when you ring. I believe they have their offices on various Costas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.