Adra

Old Dec 27th 2015, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Biddulph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adra

Hi, My wife and I are living in beautiful Cantabria with my wife teaching English. We see coming down to Adra to see what the area is like because the damp air up here is not good for our health in semi retirement.
We are visiting Adra in a few days time but is there any member living there who could tell us what it is like for living?
Biddulph
Old Dec 27th 2015, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adra

I live 15 mins away in Albuñol, to the east of Adra it is plastics as far as the eye can see not very nice but having said that I love Adra it is next to the sea, nice little port proper little Spanish town with all the usual shops.Next to the motorway and now an easy run to Málaga, the airport 90 mins or so Almería 40mins. Free tapas friendly people lovely walks along the front, Behing you have the Alpujarras in very easy reach, temperatur at the momento is a cosy 20º here so Adra will be similar. I love it around here try not to be put off as you drive through the plastics.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Biddulph is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and many thanks for your speedy reply. We love Cantabria because of the greenery and practically nil crime rate. How does that fare with Adra and area?

We are not beach people but nonetheless like to live near the sea and boats. Also are there houses there as Google shows only flats. Are there any areas of beauty in the area which you might recommend?
Many thanks again
Biddulph
Old Dec 27th 2015, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

It isnt a holiday town, re houses you would need I think look out of town, maybe Berja, very very beautiful in la Alpujarra, no distance, maybe do a day trip Adra, Berja, Cadiar back through Albondón and past us Albuñol. That will give you an idea, but it is very hot in summer, we have grown our own greenery, planted trees etc in the garden. Maybe look over the border into Granada province?
Old Dec 27th 2015, 4:33 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh what a shame that you feel that the weather is so damp you have to leave somewhere as grand as this.

My advice is have a look at Adra in the height of summer to see if you may like to live with what could be high day time temperatures.
I have been to the area before as I am a great fan of Spaghetti Westerns. Stayed in Motril to sue that as a base to see Mini Hollywood, Nerja, Granada etc etc. Even tried to call in on Chris Stewart!. Loved the area, but even in September found it far too hot (maybe that was a one off year)
Do not recall sandy beaches but do recall a boring ride along the Autovia through what I called at the time Costa Plastica to get some way to/from Mini Hollywood.
I would not call the Mar de plástico (to give it's Spanish nickname) as something "little"
In Spanish.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 5:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I would not call the Mar de plástico (to give it's Spanish nickname) as something "little"
It's huge - you can see it from space! Just look at it from a great height on Google earth. The really nice places are inland, such as the Alpujarras, but they are all accessible from other places. Try looking further west in Granada province, the southern coast of Almeria has very little to offer, apart from the new motorway which has just been completed, which at least means that you can go somewhere else quickly!.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 7:23 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I know how big it is an know doubt it has grown larger since my visit. I was reply to pwwm comment "I love it around here try not to be put off as you drive through the plastics."
I personally could not because it is such a large area.I know you live in Mortil. But I never bumped into you either.
I totally agree with a few words said in the BBC video embedded in the Spanish newspaper link there is something wild about parts of that area. But the Autovias the plastic and the new Presa de Rules ( I think that is what it is called) on the main road up to Granada have IMHO ransacked the area too much.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:56 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Casa Santo Estevo;11822153 .I know you live in Mortil .[/QUOTE]

If you are referring to me, I don't live in Motril.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 4:13 pm

oh got that wrong then, sorry. Thought you did the way you write about the town.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 5:13 pm

I hate the place - just go there for shopping and servicing my car!

I live further west in La Herradura, just west of Almuñécar. No plastic greenhouses here!
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:01 pm

You know what I never liked the town either. But was not going to say so in case it offended you...oh so English attitude this end.
When I was there the Autovia was not completed and we thought we would be late for the return flight to the UK because of the traffic jams. Opening that road up must be a blessing.
The place I rented is still on the vacation rental websites, but has changed it's name. Still not showing photos of the plastic environment it sits in.
Your side of Motril has certainly got the better beaches and one can get up into the hills and beyond very easily too.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Linken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really nice

Hello. You sent me a PM but for some reason, I am unable to reply to you. Yes, we still live in Adra. We will have been here for 8 years in March. Like most places on the coast, there isn't a lot of work unless you are looking for shop or bar work. There are lots of people advertising to give private English lessons, both expats and also other European English speakers. There are several schools here but they are already staffed and also bring in students from other countries on exchange programmes to assist with teaching. Adra is still very Spanish with only around 30 Brits on the pardon, of course there could be more, but if they aren't on the pardon, then how do they know. We rarely hear English speakers in town. Apart from tapas bars, there isn't any nightlife as such but we love living here😊
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Linken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really nice

Padron, not pardon!!!!
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddulph
Hi, My wife and I are living in beautiful Cantabria with my wife teaching English. We see coming down to Adra to see what the area is like because the damp air up here is not good for our health in semi retirement.
We are visiting Adra in a few days time but is there any member living there who could tell us what it is like for living?
Biddulph
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary