Reload this Page >

New Member introduction

New Member introduction

Old Dec 28th 2015, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Alexis1962 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New Member introduction

Hi All

Myself and my husband are very serious about moving to Spain and thought the best way forward would be to join a Forum like this one. We have recently been to Almeria area to speak to estate agents and visit some of the towns. There are many questions we need to have answers for and thought speaking to people who have already experienced and made the move would be great for us.
We are not at retirement age yet but are pretty sure about making the move. Finding the rights Area and finding out about medical care are pretty much our priority at the moment. We would like to sell up and make the move completely and become a permanent resident. However my husband has a condition that requires regular medication and not sure if we could sustain expense over in Spain. Can anyone enlightening us about health care and how it all works. Anyway there are lots to talk about and very interested in speaking to people.

many thanks for your time.

Alexis
Old Dec 28th 2015, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member introduction

Hi welcome to the forum.

If you have a look back through the forum , you will find most topics have been covered. Have are read of private health cover , existing conditions , possible state health care.

Over recent years certain medication has become less freely available like antibiotics over the counter. In line with uk gps being told to prescribe them less. Notwithstanding we find it fairly easy to get stuff for the mother in law over the counter and reasonably priced too.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 7:51 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the zoo. You will find that life is "different" here, and you need to adjust your expectations to suit.

Nonetheless, you may find that some things are far more desirable, whilst others are not. It's a tradeoff. Consider your choices wisely. Nowhere is perfect.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Thanks for reply

Hi

It's nice that you replied to my post. It would be nice to find people that would like to chat and exchange views about moving to Spain. I see you are from the area we are thinking about. My husband and myself live in Scotland in a Town called Galashiels.

We have only been married 3 years and both second time marriage. We are 54 and 53 years of age and pretty healthy other than my husband has an arthritis condition that requires injection once a week to keep his joints from swelling up. He works full time and with people who have Autism so although he takes meds he is fairly fit and healthy.

We are extremely sure about moving to a warmer climate and better way of life. If you want to chat about yourself and exchange information I would be more than happy to chat.

I will look up information on the forum and see what I can find out.

thanks

Alexis
Old Dec 28th 2015, 8:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Hi. Hoping to move to Spain. Looking to chat with others about Spain and a move.

I'll tweak your thread title for you so it better reflects your wish for folk to come chat with you.

In the meantime, do have a pop around the Spain forum and maybe have a post yourself on some other threads here.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

hi, and welcome
Old Dec 29th 2015, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Hi. Hoping to move to Spain. Looking to chat with others about Spain and a move.

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'll tweak your thread title for you so it better reflects your wish for folk to come chat with you.

In the meantime, do have a pop around the Spain forum and maybe have a post yourself on some other threads here.
Thanks BEVS I would appreciate any help. Thanks to all the other members who are trying to help me.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Are either you or your husband planning to work in Spain?
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Well due to the fact that we are quite a bit away from retirement we both feel that we would need to earn some small income.

I make irish dance costumes at the moment and could start a self employed business in Spain that we could both work with.

Even just to make one costume a month, which I must say takes a lot of work but it would be enough to maintain our food etc.

Does this make a difference??
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to make sure you've thought about your income. Finding a job in Spain is extremely difficult these days, especially if you are not fluent in Spanish.

- Eric S.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

With the kind of job we would be doing it would be making irish dance costumes and selling them through my website so getting orders wouldn't be too difficult. Being self employed would be best for us. Earning an income from home. What do you think?
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:33 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexis1962
With the kind of job we would be doing it would be making irish dance costumes and selling them through my website so getting orders wouldn't be too difficult. Being self employed would be best for us. Earning an income from home. What do you think?
You will need to make SS payments of around 260€ per month irrespective of how much you might be earning. That is, the 260€ comes straight off the bottom line after tax etc.

As an autonomo, you will also have to factor in the cost of an accountant/gestor for regular tax returns etc.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:15 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexis1962
Hi All

Myself and my husband are very serious about moving to Spain and thought the best way forward would be to join a Forum like this one. We have recently been to Almeria area to speak to estate agents and visit some of the towns. There are many questions we need to have answers for and thought speaking to people who have already experienced and made the move would be great for us.
We are not at retirement age yet but are pretty sure about making the move. Finding the rights Area and finding out about medical care are pretty much our priority at the moment. We would like to sell up and make the move completely and become a permanent resident. However my husband has a condition that requires regular medication and not sure if we could sustain expense over in Spain. Can anyone enlightening us about health care and how it all works. Anyway there are lots to talk about and very interested in speaking to people.

many thanks for your time.

Alexis

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary