Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Activating Free Sat Card?

Activating Free Sat Card?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:39 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Activating Free Sat Card?

I read on a.n.other forum that a freesat from Sky £20 card may be activated in a UK box and it will then work in any box i.e. in spain.

https://mysky.sky.com/replacecard/get-a-card

Can anyone please confirm this?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activating Free Sat Card?

Originally Posted by missile
I read on a.n.other forum that a freesat from Sky £20 card may be activated in a UK box and it will then work in any box i.e. in spain.

Probably, we have two boxes and our card works in both.
We had a contract then finished it and kept the free channels on the card, if we take it out of one we only lose the fiver channels as far as i know.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:54 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Probably, we have two boxes and our card works in both.
We had a contract then finished it and kept the free channels on the card, if we take it out of one we only lose the fiver channels as far as i know.
Thanks, we have an expired blue card so I know the channels. What I was asking is re new white card and to save the faffing about calling sky on skype or mobile from spain.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding was that the replacement Freesat cards were pre-activated but that a newly purchased card could be activated in any box and then used in any other box.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, we have an expired blue card so I know the channels. What I was asking is re new white card and to save the faffing about calling sky on skype or mobile from spain.
Ours is the blue one and has been flashing "contact sky.com for a replacement card" for ages every now and again.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:15 pm
Started off with nothing

Thanks guys
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

I ordered a freesat card this morning from Sky via my landline number in spain and cost me 20 quid. I was given this number by my sat man which includes the code to hide where im ringing from so you dont need skype. If im allowed to post the info on here I will to help others cos I know the White cards in Spain are going for 60-75 euros.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:10 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

yes. currently FSFS cards are interchangeable between boxes.

so ATM it is possible to get the card activated in a box in the UK and posted over and pop it into your box.

Originally Posted by jdr
if we take it out of one we only lose the fiver channels as far as i know.
and Sky3, and Viva TV and Liverpool FC TV, and those stronger ITV1 regions on 12402 and Irish C4 on 12480 - which can be received on a smaller dish - i get them on my 80cm dish - yet the free versions require the big dish.

Originally Posted by Fred James
My understanding was that the replacement Freesat cards were pre-activated but that a newly purchased card could be activated in any box and then used in any other box.
Correcto.

Originally Posted by jdr
Ours is the blue one and has been flashing "contact sky.com for a replacement card" for ages every now and again.
The blue cards will stop working for TV channels in the very near future.
Sky have said that they can still be used for regionalisation of 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 and parental controls for a few weeks later.

Originally Posted by spainboy
I will to help others cos I know the White cards in Spain are going for 60-75 euros.
There are a few installers around offering them from 125 euros upwards, I even know of one offering them for 150 euros....best get an actual sky subscrption for that cost and get about 30 plus more channels for a few quid more! ALthough the card agents / suppliers know this happens every 5 or 6 years so can make a quick buck or two doing it.

Last edited by The Guy; Feb 25th 2010 at 5:18 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I replaced mine online foc - it was preactivated & works a treat. Just plug in the code on the website & it was sent to a UK address in a week.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:15 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
I replaced mine online foc - it was preactivated & works a treat. Just plug in the code on the website & it was sent to a UK address in a week.
Only works if you bought your card from Sky after May 2006....then you are entitled to a free replacement, and it will be preactivated.

If you bought your cards after May 2006, then you will need to buy a new one, and it will need to be activated once you have it.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by poolboy
Was it really preactivated or did someone do it in a UK box, i just ordered one and can get it activated there if it needs doing ?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

We have 2 SKY boxes with free to view cards. One card was free to replace and the other will be need to be paid for. What yours is can be found on the SKY website by inputting the card number. We only replaced the one that was to be free. Had it sent to a UK address and it was forwarded to Spain. No activation needed, (it was definately not done by the family in UK either as we never even thought of that!!) so it must have been 'ready to go'. I assume the free ones are pre-activated and the others are not. I am thinking of paying 20 quid for the other, so assume it must be put in a box in UK before forwarding on. But the free one was definately ready to view.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by The Guy
Only works if you bought your card from Sky after May 2006....then you are entitled to a free replacement, and it will be preactivated.

If you bought your cards after May 2006, then you will need to buy a new one, and it will need to be activated once you have it.
Mine was a contract that we ended in about 2004 but kept the card as freeview, I assume it will need putting in and activating in the UK then ?

Last edited by jdr; Feb 26th 2010 at 7:15 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

yes deffo preactivated - I opened the envelope myself.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Mine was a contract that we ended in about 2004 but kept the card as freeview, I assume it will need putting in and activating in the UK then ?
Ex subscription (blue) cards that we being used as a free to view card WILL NOT be replaced for free.

So you will need to pay for a £20 new card and arrange for it to be activated.

On a side note, some sub cards that were paired and activated for a Sky+ box, and that subscription has been cancelled have been continue to work the hard drive record and playback features...

When you get a replacement white card, do NOT expect the hard drive functions to continue to work....

For the Sky+ and Sky HD+ boxes hard drive features you MUST pay Sky somehting per month...either £10 per month for HDD access, or a minimum of a 1 mix TV package.

It is down to an error that your ex sub blue card had the HDD feature still active....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.