90/180 Rule

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Zeb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 90/180 Rule

Newbie here. With the lockdown/flights/ferries cancelled from Spain to the UK. I wonder if there will be some sort of amnesty for genuine overstayers. I know last year because of the state of alarm in Spain the BOE issued the statement below. I guess because the state of alarm is at present till the 09 Mar 2021 it will still apply. It seems very difficult to actually get an sort of answer and contacting Embassies is like banging your head against a brick wall
Article 4. Extension of stays of up to ninety days.
1. Those people who are in Spain in a situation of stay, for a period not exceeding ninety days, which has expired during the validity of the state of alarm, will have their stay extended, automatically, for a period of three months.

2. This validity will be limited to Spanish territory.

3. The extended period will be taken into account in order to calculate the maximum time authorized for future stays.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 90/180 Rule

Welcome Zeb. Short for Zebedee? I can already see some of the regulars getting red in the face before their springs uncoil in a most violent manner .

In short, who knows but I guess a lot are hoping so. Have a quick scroll through the most recent posts to find all of the factual info along with a fair bit of speculation and denial.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks SanNico, Yes Zebedee - a mis-spend youth watching the magic roundabout
I've had a look on previous threads. Like you said its finding the wheat from the chaff. It really is a minefield that's for sure!
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 5:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Extensions may be given but apart from that the Schengen rules apply across the Schengen area and there is no way they can be unilaterally changed by any member state apart from closing borders for severe terrorist threat reasons. That was the whole idea behind the concept. All that Spain can do is make it easier to get a Schengen visa extension but even that is difficult.

The UK voted for Brexit and this is one of the consequences.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 23rd 2021 at 5:08 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

I hate to disagree with some of your points on my first thread Fred but if flights/ferries get cancelled you can't get back to the UK. I know of several people who have had flights/ferries cancelled Feb/Mar/Apr and even in some cases May. Obviously there's a possibility that could change for May.so therefore people will be overstaying the 90 day rule, It would be nice if there was some form of clarity on the matter

Last edited by Zeb123; Feb 23rd 2021 at 5:43 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Oh, for God's sake the Brits aren't aliens from another planet. Make a simple visa extension possible so you can spend 180 days in 360. WTF do they want to know the name of my Grandma's first boyfriend!!!!

As it is the sclerotic Spanish economy and its imposition of 30%+ unemployment on its youth will suffer. Pathetic!
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks frigilianafreddy,
By the way what is your Grandma's first boyfriend name?
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Oh, for God's sake the Brits aren't aliens from another planet.
Actually in EU terms effectively they now are and no amount of bellicose objections are going to change that.

Speculations on the cost to the Spanish economy from enforcing the 90/180 rule are wildly exaggerated and I suggest you do some research before making wild claims.

Hint: UK tourism as whole accounts for just 3% of GDP.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zeb123
Obviously there's a possibility that could change for May.so therefore people will be overstaying the 90 day rule, It would be nice if there was some form of clarity on the matter
I hope that under those circumstances there will be extensions given. However based on the UK Border Force’s track record, I wouldn’t bank on it.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Actually in EU terms effectively they now are and no amount of bellicose objections are going to change that.

Speculations on the cost to the Spanish economy from enforcing the 90/180 rule are wildly exaggerated and I suggest you do some research before making wild claims.

3% post Covid is a big deal. Plus islands like Ibiza will have a higher % of British tourists. People on here act like the Spanish arnt concerned about British tourism. They will want British tourism this year more than any other year on record. Don’t underestimate the economic devastation Covid has/will cause to Spain.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
3% post Covid is a big deal. Plus islands like Ibiza will have a higher % of British tourists. People on here act like the Spanish arnt concerned about British tourism. They will want British tourism this year more than any other year on record. Don’t underestimate the economic devastation Covid has/will cause to Spain.
British tourism will continue of course it will. Most tourism is in weeks so why wouldn't that continue as it always has. The obvious problem with what's happened is holiday home ownership with people wanting to spend nearer to 6 months at a time in their second home.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 8:16 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

In our patch, it's Germans. They've always been the dominant tourist nationality here, they have money, are ready to go somewhere, and apparently have just dropped some major covid restrictions for travel to the Balearics. But like everyone else, they still have to test negative 72 hours before arriving.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
British tourism will continue of course it will. Most tourism is in weeks so why wouldn't that continue as it always has. The obvious problem with what's happened is holiday home ownership with people wanting to spend nearer to 6 months at a time in their second home.
Correct, the numbers seeking ways to exceed 90 days will be an inconsequential flea bite out of that and as it's pretty much a given that they will still come for the 90 days regardless all that stands to be lost to Spain is any excess they have been used to.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

Hint: Not in Andalucia! 25% of the economy. And anyway i'm not talking about the two week cheapies - I'm talking about the 6 month owners. Construction (mainly linked to Brits) 36%. Its a bloody disaster.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Hint: Not in Andalucia! 25% of the economy. And anyway i'm not talking about the two week cheapies - I'm talking about the 6 month owners. Construction (mainly linked to Brits) 36%. Its a bloody disaster.
Without doubt there will be a high number of holiday home owners in Andalucia. I am sure quite a few spend 6 months per year and yes for some that will be 6 or more months straight. However I still think very many tend to do 5 to 12 or so weeks at a time a couple of times a year. Generally speaking and with planning that will still be achievable. Yes there will be an affect on tourism but it will still continue and for many this won't affect them drastically. It obviously will for those who planned a holiday home but intending at some later time intending to retire full time. However I'm sure Spain will also try and encourage other countries to take up the slack so to speak. Myself I don't actually think it will be the disaster that you predict although it may be a personal disaster for individuals who own property in Spain or elsewhere in the Schengen area. It's early days and time will tell.

Last edited by bobd22; Feb 25th 2021 at 5:17 pm.