Reload this Page >

9 months in Spain - vehicle and general help

9 months in Spain - vehicle and general help

Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

fpole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 9 months in Spain - vehicle and general help

Hello all!

I have recently been given the opportunity with my job to move to Spain for 9 months, obviously I am very excited about this but also understand there is a lot to organise between now and June when I move out. That's why I'd thought to ask you for some advice...

Firstly, having a UK registered vehicle in Spain.
I know this is a hotly discussed topic and I understand that the 6 months limited before having to get the car on Spanish plates depends on the person not the car. I also understand it would have to be taxed, MOT'd and insurance in the UK. As I'm only in Spain for 9 months it isn't worth me registering the car in my opinion.
I want to make sure that this 6 month limit is to the calendar year, I will be going from June 2016 to March 2017, will I be ok to not register my car say if I go back to the UK with it over the Christmas period (6 months in 2016 and 3 months in 2017)?
Also I have said vehicle, because I'm planning to take a van with me. Are the laws different for small vans different to those of cars?

Secondly, learning Spanish.
I want to use my time left in the UK to make a good start in learn the foundations of the Spanish language so I can survive better when I move. Are there any resources/schools you'd recommend?

Finally, mobile phone use.
Obviously it would be expensive and silly to use a UK number in Spain for this period. I'm currently with Vodafone in the UK and therefore my phone is locked to them. Has anyone tried using a Vodafone España sim card in the Vodafone UK phone?

Sorry there is a lot there, thank you for taking the time to read it. I'd also love to hear any other tips you have for me!

Thank you for your help in advance!
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:02 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 months in Spain - vehicle and general help

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:10 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fpole
Hello all!

I have recently been given the opportunity with my job to move to Spain for 9 months, obviously I am very excited about this but also understand there is a lot to organise between now and June when I move out. That's why I'd thought to ask you for some advice...

Firstly, having a UK registered vehicle in Spain.
I know this is a hotly discussed topic and I understand that the 6 months limited before having to get the car on Spanish plates depends on the person not the car. I also understand it would have to be taxed, MOT'd and insurance in the UK. As I'm only in Spain for 9 months it isn't worth me registering the car in my opinion.
I want to make sure that this 6 month limit is to the calendar year, I will be going from June 2016 to March 2017, will I be ok to not register my car say if I go back to the UK with it over the Christmas period (6 months in 2016 and 3 months in 2017)?
Also I have said vehicle, because I'm planning to take a van with me. Are the laws different for small vans different to those of cars?

Secondly, learning Spanish.
I want to use my time left in the UK to make a good start in learn the foundations of the Spanish language so I can survive better when I move. Are there any resources/schools you'd recommend?

Finally, mobile phone use.
Obviously it would be expensive and silly to use a UK number in Spain for this period. I'm currently with Vodafone in the UK and therefore my phone is locked to them. Has anyone tried using a Vodafone España sim card in the Vodafone UK phone?

Sorry there is a lot there, thank you for taking the time to read it. I'd also love to hear any other tips you have for me!

Thank you for your help in advance!
First, welcome in advance.

Next, for a car, you'd probably be better off buying a Spanish-plated 1999 golf for €500 than bringing your own car down here. A normal van is no different than a car. You could probably get away with keeping your UK van here for 9 mos, but it's a risk should you have an accident (no insurance?).

Vodafone is OK. They generally have good coverage. You can get cheaper deals though. Not massively cheaper, The difference between €10 per mo vs. €5 per mo for a prepaid sim with 1gb Internet isn't all that dramatic. The cheapest usually don't have great coverage.

Spanish schools? Haven't a clue, it depends on where you are and what you're willing to spend. There are many, many choices..
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice.

If a buy a Spanish vehicle, do I have to get a Spanish drivers license?
The main reason for me wanting a van is so I can travel and camp with my mountain bike, difficult to do in a car. But buying out there, might have to be a consideration. Guess it depends on how willing I am to take the risk.

Will keep that in mind about the phone.

I found quite a large amount of resources online when it comes to learning Spanish. But is it recommended to get some tutorage rather than trying to hack it all on your own?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

You would not need to change your driving licence to drive a Spanish registered vehicle.
Re your phone I would get it unlocked in the UK costs about £10 then you can use any sim or buy a dual sim phone from ebay then you can use both your UK number and any Spanish sim. You need a sim card that gives good reception in your area in Spain remember not just one that works with your vodafone locked phone. Dual sim phones you can get a decent smart phone one for £45 +
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Ideally I don't want to buy a Spanish vehicle as I'd rather have my own UK van that I can fit out for the long term rather own and sell a Spanish one.
My main concern is that 6 month calendar year limit, is what I have suggested possible?

Thanks again for the tips on the phone. I think I'll probably unlock my current phone for use with a Spanish sim card.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It is 6 months in the tax year that is simply because after 183 days you become tax resident as you know. Coming in June and with a trip back at Christmas you may slip a few days over the first 183 days and the new tax year would start first of Jan giving you another 183 days. Chances of being caught out for the few days are very slim but of course that would be your decision. But yes you have 183 days per tax year 1 Jan To 31 Dec.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

I would think you would be ok but of course it's your call, the main problem you will have if your place of work is fixed is people/local police will get used to seeing the van and may well take an interest in the amount of time you/it is there but you just don't know.

You have probably seen it but the article is here ,
Car registration and taxes - Your Europe
Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see you opting for the re-registration option, but you need to know that you cannot re-register a RHD van in Spain.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Fazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to interupt but my wife and I are considering driving in our UK car from the UK to southern Spain so am I getting this correct that if our car is taxed , MOT'd and we have UK insurance we could use the car for around 6 months in Spain .
Sorry to but in . Cheers
Old Mar 25th 2016, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fazer
Sorry to interupt but my wife and I are considering driving in our UK car from the UK to southern Spain so am I getting this correct that if our car is taxed , MOT'd and we have UK insurance we could use the car for around 6 months in Spain .
Sorry to but in . Cheers
You can have and use a UK registered car in Spain for 183 days (6 months) as a non resident, that is per tax year Jan to Dec. The reason is over183 days you become resident fully and must register car in Spain. Make sure your UK car insurance covers you for the length of stay? Some only give 30 days EU cover most up to 90 days and some I.e. saga unlimited number of days.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Fazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
You can have and use a UK registered car in Spain for 183 days (6 months) as a non resident, that is per tax year Jan to Dec. The reason is over183 days you become resident fully and must register car in Spain. Make sure your UK car insurance covers you for the length of stay? Some only give 30 days EU cover most up to 90 days and some I.e. saga unlimited number of days.
Thanks for the info . Do you know if any car dealers take UK cars in part ex for Spanish vehicles. , hopefully we will be around the Malaga area . We do have lots of questions so I will just keep posting them with expats . Thanks again
Old Mar 25th 2016, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the info . Do you know if any car dealers take UK cars in part ex for Spanish vehicles. , hopefully we will be around the Malaga area . We do have lots of questions so I will just keep posting them with expats . Thanks again
I think some do but do not know specifics.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 11:09 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Yes they do - for peanuts - the value of a RHD car on English plates is minimal even considering the number of people returning to the UK

Davexf
Old Mar 25th 2016, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Not strictly the case (although the effect is the same) as long as the vehicle is street-legal in its country of registration then it can remain as long as it likes, bearing in mind that it would need to return annually to the UK for its MOT. However once you become a Spanish resident it will be illegal to drive a foreign registered vehicle - so to continue driving the vehicle legally you will need to re register it - and like I said, in practical terms it amounts to the same, but for different reason. As long as you remain a non - resident you can drive it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.