Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

4 Weeks And 4 Days

4 Weeks And 4 Days

Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 Weeks And 4 Days

Until we move to spain.

What was you doing to the build up of moving to spain?
Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:56 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 4 Weeks And 4 Days

Hello

Well thinking back, we sold our house in the May, all our belongings left for Spain on the 18th, we stilled lived in the house until the 26th using paper plates and garden furniture, luckily still had bed because we were leaving that in the house. 26th we left all our remaining clothes with number one daughter then we flew out to Spain to be at the house when the van arrived. We had two week settling in and then back to England as OH still had to work until the end of August.

We stayed in a caravan in New Romney from the 18th June until the 21st September, now I thought this would be easy as there are only the two of us, how wrong can a person be especially when you are used to having a big house. OH had to travel 160 miles round trip to work everyday. leaving the caravan at 0430 and arriving back at 1500 in the afternoon, then falling asleep. I would spend my time doing housework (not a lot in a caravan) writing letters to cancel bank account, credit cards insurance policies etc etc. I spent a lot of time going for bus rides and then there was a hundred and one visits to the vets getting the cat's passport, having his teeth done and anthing else the vet thought he should have before embarking on his trip of a life time.

During this time we were backwards and forwards to Spain as we really did not want to be in Blighty anymore. The best thing of all, on the 2nd August whilst at Stanstead we posted OH letter of 4 weeks resignation to his work who had been treating him very badly (long story all very political) as we were just about to board our flight for a two week holiday. When he arrived back to work no one from management would speak to him, they even employed someone from outside to do his work and he just sat in his office doing nothing for the remainder of his time there. The day came for him to leave, he drove 80 miles sat for three hours and then thought why am I here so he just got up and walked out the door and didn't even stop to say goodbye to anyone and drove 80 miles back to the van. Very sad after nearly 20 years of a happy working life but this was a new company that had taken over and he was surplice to requirements.

We were very organised for our move as I had took early retirement from work in the April and had everything ship shape by the beginning of May, had many trips to the rubbish dump and charity shops and that mad last minute rush to visit friends and family before leaving. I expect it will very different for you as you have a young family to deal with, I am sure it will be quite hectic for you and a word of advice decided how much bubble wrap you want and double if not triple it.....GOOD LUCK
Old Dec 27th 2006, 6:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Until we move to spain.

What was you doing to the build up of moving to spain?
Still waiting for the completion of our house sale in the UK, it was due to be auctioned, but a buyer came forward before the auction date and we accepted, but all paperwork and the sale had to be completed before the date of the auction, or it would go ahead in the auction. We had just started the process at that time, having already missed one auction due to the fact that the land surrounding the house was not listed in the land registry as belonging to us, so we were going through the process of getting the land registered, (there were no problems thankfully) but just another worry and delay. I think the sale of the house added more grey hairs to my head than age had done in the previous 10 years. But we were packing, and sorting out what to take and what to send to the sale room.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We had to move out of our house 31 August and didn't move to Spain until early October. We spent a month living with friends in Stourbridge and although it was very good of them to have us, its really disrupting for all involved. Then we drove to Spain with van loaded with what furniture we were taking and then drove back, collected the car and drove back again.

It all seems a very long time ago
Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

HI,
We sold ours in april so thank god i have had not to have that worry. We have been in rented since then and OH phoned him last Friday and gave him the months notice to quit the house. He was quite shocked as we have not even gone to our 12 month term other than that he is good about it.

Thing is he is a very good landlord as long as he gets paid monthly he has not once been round or phoned (which is a bonus)

I have got the kitchen stacked with new items and old ready for the move. Now we have had Xmas i have even more (kids toys loads)

I Want to paint the house we are in in some places as the kids have bloody marks all on there bedroom walls and sticky finger prints going up the stairs. So hubby has took Thursday of and we are going to start that

We have still got to get our car an mot and then sell it and buy another car and trailer as we are driving over to Spain. taken one child with us and going to fly the other two out after about a week of leaving.

As for our house in Spain the valuation on it did not come up enough to borrow the money we needed from one bank. so my friends are taking it to another bank and hope to get a bit more. If not we are going to rent our friends house until we sort ourselves out.

As for our good bye party we are not having one
Can not handle the whining and moaning from people that it's a silly thing to do.
We had organised it for new year with the whole family but we are now ringing everyone saying we are not having it.
I think that is a safe bet as if i get one more person say "WHY are you going over to Spain" i will not be able to control my words back to them.

The rabbit and fish have been giving to our friends so that's two things we have not got to worry about.

I still have lots more items to sell, charity etc. The garage needs to be totally sorted out :scared:
I am phoning for a skip today to get one for Friday so we can chuck a lot of stuff out.

I know the 4 weeks will go very quickly but it still seems forever away at the moment. And we my slack attitude to everything will get done i know it wont ha ha ha.

Thats why i love to hear what others were doing with there 4 weeks before they left in case i have forgot anything.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

HI,
We sold ours in april so thank god i have had not to have that worry. We have been in rented since then and OH phoned him last Friday and gave him the months notice to quit the house. He was quite shocked as we have not even gone to our 12 month term other than that he is good about it.

Thing is he is a very good landlord as long as he gets paid monthly he has not once been round or phoned (which is a bonus)

I have got the kitchen stacked with new items and old ready for the move. Now we have had Xmas i have even more (kids toys loads)

I Want to paint the house we are in in some places as the kids have bloody marks all on there bedroom walls and sticky finger prints going up the stairs. So hubby has took Thursday of and we are going to start that

We have still got to get our car an mot and then sell it and buy another car and trailer as we are driving over to Spain. taken one child with us and going to fly the other two out after about a week of leaving.

As for our house in Spain the valuation on it did not come up enough to borrow the money we needed from one bank. so my friends are taking it to another bank and hope to get a bit more. If not we are going to rent our friends house until we sort ourselves out.

As for our good bye party we are not having one
Can not handle the whining and moaning from people that it's a silly thing to do.
We had organised it for new year with the whole family but we are now ringing everyone saying we are not having it.
I think that is a safe bet as if i get one more person say "WHY are you going over to Spain" i will not be able to control my words back to them.

The rabbit and fish have been giving to our friends so that's two things we have not got to worry about.

I still have lots more items to sell, charity etc. The garage needs to be totally sorted out :scared:
I am phoning for a skip today to get one for Friday so we can chuck a lot of stuff out.

I know the 4 weeks will go very quickly but it still seems forever away at the moment. And we my slack attitude to everything will get done i know it wont ha ha ha.

Thats why i love to hear what others were doing with there 4 weeks before they left in case i have forgot anything.
ER...., Just make sure you don`t forget the OH. ! ! :scared:
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
We had to move out of our house 31 August and didn't move to Spain until early October. We spent a month living with friends in Stourbridge and although it was very good of them to have us, its really disrupting for all involved. Then we drove to Spain with van loaded with what furniture we were taking and then drove back, collected the car and drove back again.

It all seems a very long time ago
So the ( deceased ) cat , (other thread !) was a Spanish one then ?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jonsol
ER...., Just make sure you don`t forget the OH. ! ! :scared:
That sounds good
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

HI,

A Skip we needed three, mainly for the contents of the garage and two sheds, had already burnt the other shed down, well no, demolished it, then burnt it as is would have fallen down anyway. we still left the new owners two empty brick built sheds, a big garage and two ex RAF dog kennels, so they had plenty of storage area. Next year when we go back for a couple of weeks, we hope to go out and look at what has been done to it. Since we left it has gained it's own page in Wikipedia.

It was only a humble ex farm cottage (well two made into one) when we left it :scared: and most of the 'original features' were added, in the last 20 years, by me

Talk about the new owner having delusions of grandeur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man..._Bishop_Bridge
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
A Skip we needed three, mainly for the contents of the garage and two sheds, had already burnt the other shed down, well no, demolished it, then burnt it as is would have fallen down anyway. we still left the new owners two empty brick built sheds, a big garage and two ex RAF dog kennels, so they had plenty of storage area. Next year when we go back for a couple of weeks, we hope to go out and look at what has been done to it. Since we left it has gained it's own page in Wikipedia.

It was only a humble ex farm cottage (well two made into one) when we left it :scared: and most of the 'original features' were added, in the last 20 years, by me

Hi,
A lot of stuff we have already got rid of. i.e our full size fridge and freezer, luckily we have built in ones in the kitchen.
My sofa's my sister is having all the bedroom furniture i am chucking out.

My pc desk, fax machine, etc i am going to put in the skip.
Everything else i have been putting in the bins for the bin men each week.

t.vs and DVD players we are taking with us so we will need a big trailer.

Clothes i have took massive amounts to the charity shops and there is still a lot more to go (i want a new wardrobe before i go )
Washing machine i am going to throw away so it is only my tumble drier i am taking.

Once i get rid of everything and decorate a bit i will still have about 3 weeks on my hand's not knowing what i am going to do until we move
How long have you been in Spain?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonsol
So the ( deceased ) cat , (other thread !) was a Spanish one then ?
No, we kept her safe at the friends house for a month, spent £180 having her chipped and passported, had her sedated by the vet, transported her 2000 kms to Spain in the van paid for her to be looked after whilst we returned for the car ...... and she lasted 3 months :-(
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow the house is fab absolutely stunning. (you owned that)
Are you glad you left for Spain?
Well it explains why you need 3 skips with a house that big.
My little old house off Calder road, Lincoln is only 4 beds so not massive and half empty now.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:58 pm
Concierge

Hi,
A lot of stuff we have already got rid of. i.e our full size fridge and freezer, luckily we have built in ones in the kitchen.
My sofa's my sister is having all the bedroom furniture i am chucking out.

My pc desk, fax machine, etc i am going to put in the skip.
Everything else i have been putting in the bins for the bin men each week.

t.vs and DVD players we are taking with us so we will need a big trailer.

Clothes i have took massive amounts to the charity shops and there is still a lot more to go (i want a new wardrobe before i go )
Washing machine i am going to throw away so it is only my tumble drier i am taking.

Once i get rid of everything and decorate a bit i will still have about 3 weeks on my hand's not knowing what i am going to do until we move
How long have you been in Spain?
Been here 14 months now
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Been here 14 months now
Hi,
Has spain been everything you wished for?

Has there been anything you have found hard?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Wow the house is fab absolutely stunning. (you owned that)
Are you glad you left for Spain?
Well it explains why you need 3 skips with a house that big.
My little old house off Calder road, Lincoln is only 4 beds so not massive and half empty now.
Don't be fooled by the picture. The actual house is only a three bedroom detached house, and the picture on the page isn't the house, but some other manor house, called Igtham Mote, the house we lived in was two simple farm tenants cottages made into a single 3 bed, 1 bath living room, kitchen and utility room house. It was never a manor house, it's just that the new owners have decided to 'upgrade' it just because he has a title.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.