Reload this Page >

21 year-old wanting to leave London for Spain

21 year-old wanting to leave London for Spain

Old Oct 26th 2012, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

jonomurphy3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 21 year-old wanting to leave London for Spain

Just an update:

I am improving my Spanish rapidly, currently doing two courses with the 'Instituto Cervantes' (widely acclaimed as the best). I am saving up money with the intention of going to Spain next year for at least 3months.

What opinions have you on this? I will try and secure a part-time job, so that, coupled with the money I will have saved up, I will be able to live there for a few months. Is this a good idea? I'll be 22, and I feel that this age is better than any for me to go and get a feel of the real Spain.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jonomurphy3
Hey all,

My name's Jonathan, I'm 21 years-old and currently residing in London with my family. I'm at the age where I feel it 'right' to move. I've always wanted to 'escape' from London (the constant rat race, hussle and bussle life style doesn't appeal to me).

Spain has been a country I have admired for a long time, in particularly the last couple of years. I have a great deal of Spanish friends and ex's, and have been to Spain (Zaragoza, 'escocia de Espana' hah) twice last year.

The culture, the language, the people - it's almost as if I'm being 'called' to go to Spain, the urge is that strong.

Life in London is rather dull and monotonous, and I really want to pack my bag/s (depends how much I bring!) and go to Spain. Not necessarily for the stereotypical 'life in the sun' (though it would be much welcomed!), but for a change of scene; to immerse myself in the culture.

My level of Spanish is conversational as I'm speaking it most days with friends and work colleagues from South America. I'm just wondering: what's the most hospitable place for a 21 year-old looking to move to Spain?

My best friend may want to join me, too. She's 26 and of a similar mindset to me. I am fully aware of Spain's current dire economical state, but that aside - would love to hear your feedback!

Gracias!
Job in a British bar or your own business are your only options frankly mate. Unless you've got a trade and can work for british expats...
Old Oct 26th 2012, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

mogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud of

Just an update:

I am improving my Spanish rapidly, currently doing two courses with the 'Instituto Cervantes' (widely acclaimed as the best). I am saving up money with the intention of going to Spain next year for at least 3months.

What opinions have you on this? I will try and secure a part-time job, so that, coupled with the money I will have saved up, I will be able to live there for a few months. Is this a good idea? I'll be 22, and I feel that this age is better than any for me to go and get a feel of the real Spain.
great to hear all is going as planned keep us posted

Originally Posted by WestLondonWelshman
Job in a British bar or your own business are your only options frankly mate. Unless you've got a trade and can work for british expats...
dont think you read the whole thread
Old Oct 27th 2012, 8:50 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

A quick post from myself - I´ve been in Valencia and Madrid this week and have agreed a couple of internet biz projects so it´s been very productive, as well as enjoyable.
Speaking to my English teacher friend last night, and although he´s moaning about costs and taxes, he´s got as much work as he can handle. So teaching English ( at least in Madrid) still seems to provide work, but there is a lot of competition here. You need experience.
Good luck.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: 21 year-old wanting to leave London for Spain

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Speaking to my English teacher friend last night, and although he´s moaning about costs and taxes, he´s got as much work as he can handle. So teaching English ( at least in Madrid) still seems to provide work, but there is a lot of competition here.
Seems like more Spanish, than years past, will want to learn English for sure. And then work in a Country where English is the native language, or more common than a primary Spanish. Any Country, within reason, must have better employment rates.

DSB.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Nice.

I'm saving enough to live there self-sufficiently for 3 months anyway, without the need of a job. But I'm intending it to be a 'taster' of a possible future to come; I want to leave the UK within 3-4 years maximum, and a Spanish-speaking country is where my heart lays.

What do you think I should try to do in the 2/3 months that I'll be there? Any cities in particular? (My friend recommended Madrid, 300/400 euros for flats a month....or should I go for a smaller city?) I want to immerse myself in the culture completely ('Assimilation' if you will!), so I won't go to Barcelona I think as the language variety may get stressful!

thanks for all the replies thus far.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:26 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I don´t think you can rent a flat in Madrid for that price - sounds more like the rent for a room in a shared flat. Having said that, there may be cheaper places away from the main city, maybe in somewhere like Mosteles or Pozuelo.
The advantage with somewhere like Madrid is there are networks of expat business people (google guiripreneur in Madrid) and teachers. Get talking to local Brits in somewhere like the Triskel pub near Tribunal, and you´ll get the local info and tips.
On the other hand if you want to stay in a city where you´ll be forced to speak Spanish all the time (as you won´t bump into other Brits) then a northern city may be better. Burgos, Gijon or even Bilbao.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:37 am
Just Joined

I have visited Bilbao (not too far from Zaragoza if memory serves?). Thanks for the tips. I don't mind a room in a shared flat, to be honest!
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Some advice please:

If I am hoping to stay in Spain for 2/3 months, how much money would I need to get by? Rent, travel, occasional fun nights out. Just an average (assuming I can't find a part-time job there, which is most likely )
I'm thinking Barcelona. I have friends there who can host me for 20 euros a night. What would you advise me to do there during the time? Find a language course? I don't want to be there without a concrete plan!

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Would 3-5k be enough? (GBP)
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Would 3-5k be enough? (GBP)
Sure, sounds fine to me

Btw, I'm not sure you can call someone a friend if they charge you 20 euros a night to stay with them

Look at websites such as couchsurfing
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 12:14 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Sure, sounds fine to me

Btw, I'm not sure you can call someone a friend if they charge you 20 euros a night to stay with them

Look at websites such as couchsurfing
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Hahah it's more an aunt of a friend who can (and has hosted) host me for as long as I want.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Another question: if I am going there for 3 months, will I need to apply for some sort of visa or something? I know they're in the EU etc, but will any arrangements need to be made?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Anastasia.clod will become famous soon enough

Hahah it's more an aunt of a friend who can (and has hosted) host me for as long as I want.

Shut up! How much more free advice and accommodation do you want to milk. People on this thread have been fabulous. Just GO and LEARN! OR Just shack up with one of your ex's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.