Reload this Page >

21 year-old wanting to leave London for Spain

21 year-old wanting to leave London for Spain

Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

jonomurphy3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 21 year-old wanting to leave London for Spain

Hey all,

My name's Jonathan, I'm 21 years-old and currently residing in London with my family. I'm at the age where I feel it 'right' to move. I've always wanted to 'escape' from London (the constant rat race, hussle and bussle life style doesn't appeal to me).

Spain has been a country I have admired for a long time, in particularly the last couple of years. I have a great deal of Spanish friends and ex's, and have been to Spain (Zaragoza, 'escocia de Espana' hah) twice last year.

The culture, the language, the people - it's almost as if I'm being 'called' to go to Spain, the urge is that strong.

Life in London is rather dull and monotonous, and I really want to pack my bag/s (depends how much I bring!) and go to Spain. Not necessarily for the stereotypical 'life in the sun' (though it would be much welcomed!), but for a change of scene; to immerse myself in the culture.

My level of Spanish is conversational as I'm speaking it most days with friends and work colleagues from South America. I'm just wondering: what's the most hospitable place for a 21 year-old looking to move to Spain?

My best friend may want to join me, too. She's 26 and of a similar mindset to me. I am fully aware of Spain's current dire economical state, but that aside - would love to hear your feedback!

Gracias!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice
Default Re: 21 year-old wanting to leave London for Spain

You give too little detail about yourself and what you want to do to be able to advise but good luck!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

jonomurphy3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmm well I'm musical and love acting, the two subjects that I am studying along with Spanish. I work in Marks and Spencer atm.
I guess I'd settle with any job (within reason), just so long as I earn enough to make a living whilst enjoying the country and culture simultaneously.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonomurphy3
Mmm well I'm musical and love acting, the two subjects that I am studying along with Spanish. I work in Marks and Spencer atm.
I guess I'd settle with any job (within reason), just so long as I earn enough to make a living whilst enjoying the country and culture simultaneously.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonomurphy3
I think you've just echoed the thoughts of almost every 21 year old Spaniard in the country!

A job will be very tough. Contacts will be everything, so talk to your Spanish friends and ex-s. Maybe you could work in a bar or something, I have no idea of feasability as it depends on who you know and why. Out of the tourist regions there is some demand for native English speakers to help practice conversation

As for where, I'd stay away from the Costas. A mid-sized student city would be best. Granada, Salamanca, Gijon, Zaragoza or even Madrid if you are feeling brave.

But where your contacts are would be the best bet
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think you've just echoed the thoughts of almost every 21 year old Spaniard in the country!
Work will be very hard to find.
However if you have enough cash to last 3 to 6 months then go for it you are only young once.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:38 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

A job will be very tough. Contacts will be everything, so talk to your Spanish friends and ex-s. Maybe you could work in a bar or something, I have no idea of feasability as it depends on who you know and why. Out of the tourist regions there is some demand for native English speakers to help practice conversation

As for where, I'd stay away from the Costas. A mid-sized student city would be best. Granada, Salamanca, Gijon, Zaragoza or even Madrid if you are feeling brave.

But where your contacts are would be the best bet
Not sure why you'd have to be brave to choose Madrid. It's one of the few regions that are predicting growth this year. Also, it's the best place for teaching English opportunities that are well paid. This may be a good place to start if looking for advice on expected pay levels etc http://www.madbudget.com/how-to-find...teacher-spain/
Could be a half decent place for acting possibilities too. Music? Do you mean playing in a band, or DJing or studying or in an orchestra?
If you're concerned by current lack of contacts (and you'll make plenty in Madrid) then perhaps Zaragoza should be your first choice as you've indicated you already have friends there?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Not sure why you'd have to be brave to choose Madrid
Brave because it is a large and hectic city which the OP wants to escape from

The other cities are smaller, friendlier, more affordable and more liveable
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:47 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Brave because it is a large and hectic city which the OP wants to escape from

The other cities are smaller, friendlier, more affordable and more liveable
Well I've lived in both cities, and although they obviously have some similarities, they are in other ways completely different. The OP would find it a completely different way of life to London, and certainly more affordable. The heat of summer however would be something to bear in mind, but I suppose that's the case in a lot of Spanish cities away from the northern coast.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
The OP would find it a completely different way of life to London, and certainly more affordable
If he comes with savings then sure

If he has to earn minimum wage to get by then no

It is even more affordable in the smaller cities and wages for the low paying jobs are about the same
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:09 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than post a dozen negatives, I would advocate going for it. It won't be easy, but at twenty-one you could handle it.

Pick a venue from your Spanish friends and start packing.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I would advocate going for it. It won't be easy, but at twenty-one you could handle it.
Absolutely! You have at least a 50% chance of not being employed and if you don't speak fluent Spanish that could increase to as much as 80%.

As HBG says - go for it - at those odds what have you got to lose?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Absolutely! You have at least a 50% chance of not being employed and if you don't speak fluent Spanish that could increase to as much as 80%.
Over 50% of Spanish under 25's can't find a job, for a non fluent Spanish speaking guiri, I'd think 80% would be extremely optimistic! But yes, nothing to lose, go for it!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:39 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to explain, but I had no Spanish friends, had only visited a few times on holiday, wasn't on the run from the past, wasn't influenced by partners, but just wanted to come and live in Spain.

It didn't work at first, but I persisted. I've had an absolute mountain of problems along the way, but the only way they could get me out of the country now would be in chains.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:42 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have nothing to lose then give it a go. Call it a holiday and see what you can find??!!!

jo xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.