Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

2 computers on one adsl connection

2 computers on one adsl connection

Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 computers on one adsl connection

is it possible to run 2 computers on adsl with Telefonica ? does anyone know ? thanks
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:43 am
Just Joined

irup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 computers on one adsl connection

No problem, in our house we have 4 computers running off of adsl, just go wireless.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irup
No problem, in our house we have 4 computers running off of adsl, just go wireless.
cool - what equipment do I need for that ? (sorry if this is a dumb question)
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spain
is it possible to run 2 computers on adsl with Telefonica ? does anyone know ? thanks
It's fine chick we run two.....
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

cool - what equipment do I need for that ? (sorry if this is a dumb question)
You'll probably get told b4 Mr E gets back from his spanish lesson, but if you don't I'll get him to PM you.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
You'll probably get told b4 Mr E gets back from his spanish lesson, but if you don't I'll get him to PM you.
thanks
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Properly configured you could run 2 or 200. The box you got from telefonica does mostly 2 things: connects you to their network and it's a router. Look in the back of the box from telefonica - assuming you got an external router - and if you are lucky you'll see several connectors labeled "LAN". You can connect your computers to those lan connectors. Those are ethernet connectors and you'll computers quite likely have Ethernet connectors too. Some routers come equipped with wireless support. Since there are several possibilities tell me what you have and we'll go on from there.

Cheers
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:12 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

You need a wireless or wired ADSL router.
Its also possible to share the wireless from one computer and pipe it to the others.

Best bet is to get a wireless ADSL router, and install wireless adaptors on each of the other computers.

Something like: http://www.redstore.com/LINNET119 will work for you.
Basically you plug your ADSL into it, and it'll do away with your existing ADSL modem. then on each of your PCs you install a wireless adaptor. Something like: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WUSB11.../dp/B00005AW1H

Newer laptops generally have them built in, so check your laptop as you may not need one for that.

That'll pump wireless round the house no messy wires or anything its a great technology and now extremely affordable.

The other advantage is that once you got this set up you can share files round your computers too. So say you have some MP3s stored on a PC downstiars you can play them upstairs. You can also share printers. So you can type a word document on your laptop in bed, hit print and it'll print off downstairs ready for you to collect it in the morning.

If you live in the costa del sol area and want help getting going then ill be there at the end of april

The wireless stuff really is great, i remember spending hours shoving CAT5 under the skirting boards, under carpets, up the stairs and behind the couch hehe.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gudes
Properly configured you could run 2 or 200. The box you got from telefonica does mostly 2 things: connects you to their network and it's a router. Look in the back of the box from telefonica - assuming you got an external router - and if you are lucky you'll see several connectors labeled "LAN". You can connect your computers to those lan connectors. Those are ethernet connectors and you'll computers quite likely have Ethernet connectors too. Some routers come equipped with wireless support. Since there are several possibilities tell me what you have and we'll go on from there.

Cheers
ok, I have a bluey/purpley adsl Telefonica modem - at the back there is a black cable thats goes to back of pc and a silver/grey one into the phone socket - thats it
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
You need a wireless or wired ADSL router.
Its also possible to share the wireless from one computer and pipe it to the others.

Best bet is to get a wireless ADSL router, and install wireless adaptors on each of the other computers.

Something like: http://www.redstore.com/LINNET119 will work for you.
Basically you plug your ADSL into it, and it'll do away with your existing ADSL modem. then on each of your PCs you install a wireless adaptor. Something like: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WUSB11.../dp/B00005AW1H

Newer laptops generally have them built in, so check your laptop as you may not need one for that.

That'll pump wireless round the house no messy wires or anything its a great technology and now extremely affordable.

The other advantage is that once you got this set up you can share files round your computers too. So say you have some MP3s stored on a PC downstiars you can play them upstairs. You can also share printers. So you can type a word document on your laptop in bed, hit print and it'll print off downstairs ready for you to collect it in the morning.

If you live in the costa del sol area and want help getting going then ill be there at the end of april

The wireless stuff really is great, i remember spending hours shoving CAT5 under the skirting boards, under carpets, up the stairs and behind the couch hehe.
Thanks for the reply - sounds a bit confusing - dont know if I can get my head around it - doh -
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:34 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

but make sure you run the wireless network secure other wise your neighbours can surf on your connection as well as dig around on your pc`s it is suprising the number of people that dont secure there wireless networks up and cause themselves problems
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:39 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply - sounds a bit confusing - dont know if I can get my head around it - doh -
Yeah, sadly its not just a matter of splicing your telly aereal to get it to two TVs. Theres a bit more to it with computers.

The first box, called the ADSL Router will replace your telefonica modem. Sounds like the one you have is just a modem and not a router either otherwise it would have more sockets in it.

Its not too difficult to set up. Basically you just need to buy one of those Linksys routers (or equivilent). Anything that says "ADSL Wireless Router" will do the trick. Plug that into the phone line. Then to start with, plug another wire into your PC. Youll probably get an installation CD. Run it, fill it in with the telefonica details and it'll set that box up.

Then get the wireless adaptors for your PC, run the cd for that, plug it in. Then it should say its found a new network, click on it, your network will pop up, click connect and youre online.

Its a shame youre in valencia. Had you been on the south coast i could have offered to do all the configuration for you for 60€ Because you also need to ensure the box is setup with WEP/WPA security so that only you can access it and not your neighbours
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Just pm'd you our tel no.....Ed will talk you thru it if you want......he'll be back about 11.30am.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:48 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Yeah, sadly its not just a matter of splicing your telly aereal to get it to two TVs. Theres a bit more to it with computers.

The first box, called the ADSL Router will replace your telefonica modem. Sounds like the one you have is just a modem and not a router either otherwise it would have more sockets in it.

Its not too difficult to set up. Basically you just need to buy one of those Linksys routers (or equivilent). Anything that says "ADSL Wireless Router" will do the trick. Plug that into the phone line. Then to start with, plug another wire into your PC. Youll probably get an installation CD. Run it, fill it in with the telefonica details and it'll set that box up.

Then get the wireless adaptors for your PC, run the cd for that, plug it in. Then it should say its found a new network, click on it, your network will pop up, click connect and youre online.

Its a shame youre in valencia. Had you been on the south coast i could have offered to do all the configuration for you for 60€ Because you also need to ensure the box is setup with WEP/WPA security so that only you can access it and not your neighbours
60€ is bit over the top if you want to phone me i will talk you through it for free. tell me which poducts you have in advance its not rocket science and we are friends around here. I dont change my mates money when i build them a pc. poping to andorra now will be back later

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Mar 28th 2007 at 8:50 am.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

ok, I have a bluey/purpley adsl Telefonica modem - at the back there is a black cable thats goes to back of pc and a silver/grey one into the phone socket - thats it
You need to replace this box with a DSL/Router. I would contact Telefonica and ask them to send you one with at least 4 Ethernet connectors and - optionally - wireless (WiFi) support. Tell them you need to connect several computers. They can set it up for you or you could ask a friend who knows a little bit about networks and computers to do it. If possible use cables to connect your computers. Wireless is also fine but you´ll need to buy wireless cards for each computer and these cards are expensive and - depending on your house - it might not reach everywhere. In our 3 level house - I have problems with wireless connections between 2 different levels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.