Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

2-3 year plan to get to Spain

2-3 year plan to get to Spain

Old Jul 14th 2013, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2-3 year plan to get to Spain

Originally Posted by sam888
Hey guys

I'm gonna start by warning everyone I sometimes have the tendency to ramble on a little bit. I hope you manage to get the end and offer your advice . To help combat the rambling I'm gonna start with the cliff notes :

-me and partner have a newborn daughter
-we are in our mid 20s
-feel that the UK is not for us, aiming to move to Spain within 2-3 years
-job is gonna be tough as I have always worked in family business so no qualifications
-will be learning Spanish and saving hard from now onwards
-looking for advice on possible locations (ideally away from main tourist parts)
-looking at studying or gaining some work experience/qualifications now that will help me find a job from there

OK so me and my family have decided that the UK is not for us and we have chosen Spain as where we would like to settle. we are not stupid and know this isn't an overnight decision.

We are going to start a Spanish night course in September and in the meantime are using duolingo to try and grasp the basics. I really feel learning the language will make our time there a lot more enjoyable and hopefully help us in the job market.

Also saving hard from today so we have enough saved for 6 months living expenses in case everything goes wrong :/.

I assume the toughest part will be getting a job. I have no formal qualifications past GCSE, as I have been working since then. I have been in a lot of roles and had good experience but I guess I will struggle to get this point across or struggle to compete with more qualified people.

Like I said at the start this is a 2-3 year plan, so I have time to try help myself. I guess I'm looking for advice on current trends so I can try get some experience and/or qualifications that will help me in the job hunt. I feel I would do well in a lot of things, I'm fit and active and don't mind hard work. I am good with computers and IT (again no qualifications), so a job in the industry would suit me. Any other ideas?

I'm not looking for some super high paying high flying job, just something where I can support my family, once settled I would consider online degree or some other training options in Spain to help develop myself and career.

My partner is in the middle of a distance learning degree, so she will be continuing with that and then will also be looking for work, but should fair better than me (I think?) with marketing degree.

What do you guys think of our overall plan? How realistic are our goals? Are most of the above assumptions correct or am I way off in places?

If you've got this far, Thanks!! Appreciate your time and opinion.
Hi Sam, Sorry to tell you but the job situation here is very bad and the highest unemployment is in your age group so finding work is going to be next to impossible. UK qualifications are not accepted here unless you work in an International School so whatever degrees you study for will not be worth anything when you get here. If you have a contact already here, family or friend, then try and use their experience to help you. Its a beautiful dream but the timing is just not perfect right now and will not change much in the foreseeable future.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2-3 year plan to get to Spain

Originally Posted by sam888
I'm 26 have worked since I'm 16 I guess loads might be a slight exaggeration but 10years is enough time to get some good experience imo
Possibly, but it's experience that will probably count for nought in Spain. Some skills, car mechanic for example, are transferable, but you'd still have trouble with the lingo, and even more trouble getting a job. In another thread, someone mentioned enchufes etc, and as you possibly don't know, it's "connections", ie who you know. It's rife in Spain, they look after their own, you'd need to have some unique skills that the Spanish didn't have to be even considered. If you were single, the advice might be have a go, but with a family, and little savings, you'd be mad to consider it.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I had all those dreams too a few years back (Overall, been thinking about it for 20 years) but with all the recessions over the years it always became, for loads of reasons, a 'none starter' so my OH and I made the decision to bank everything we could, live frugally and make the conscious effort to retire early, sell up and live our more senior years in full comfort in a place we have always loved. I know that sounds years away for you as it did for us at the time! But, get this, time has gone by so quick we will be moving out there early next year.
We never gave up on our dream and neither should you. Times will get better. Spanish people are some of the nicest I have ever met and it's such a beautiful country.
Keep the faith
Steve
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

All of these negative posts are the last thing that you will want to be reading but it is the truth of the situation here at the moment and does not look like it is going to change soon.

On a positive note you now have the opportunity to decide on your way forward regarding learning the language which is imperative if you need to work. Gain good qualifications, good working experiences and save like mad. One day in the future you may be able to follow your dream but it would be foolhardy in the very near future.

Look at it from an employers perspective and you will see my point. There is a vacancy, your have 1000 applications to filter through, the filters that you set are that the person has to have a certain qualification, age may be relevant, experience, etc etc until you find the one person who fits the vacancy. If you were that employer would you choose a Brit with limited Spanish and no qualifications above a Spanish national who is obviously fluent in the language and has higher qualifications than the job requires?

Good luck with your future.

Rosemary
Old Jul 14th 2013, 11:01 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

here are a couple of places that advertise jobs in Spain in English

http://www.thelocal.es/ - they claim to currently have 1156 jobs on offer, but you'll have to investigate further to see if they are genuine.

Use twitter and search on "ThinkSpain jobs" Just as an example they have various jobs listed last week including Upholster - Barcelona, SEO Manager Marbella, Marketing Consultant Javea, English journalist Valencia.

You mention you've got some IT skills. Well it may not be enough, but if you have niche skills, there are always some jobs popping up here http://www.jobfluent.com/ - seems the odd job also in London and Amsterdam.
Various IT jobs, often in startups across Spain are advertised here - http://betabeers.com/post/ and then there are the standard IT vacancies posted on InfoJobs.net But you will need a good level of Spanish for the last two options. Normally companies close in August so vacancy adverts tend to disappear around now and re-appear in the Autumn, but that is changing particularly in the IT sector.

As mentioned by others - we are now in a global market. You will need to offer something that gives your employer a competitive advantage in that world market, and the chances are the company will be in cities in the north eg Madrid, Bilbao, Barcelona etc.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi, I had all those dreams too a few years back (Overall, been thinking about it for 20 years) but with all the recessions over the years it always became, for loads of reasons, a 'none starter' so my OH and I made the decision to bank everything we could, live frugally and make the conscious effort to retire early, sell up and live our more senior years in full comfort in a place we have always loved. I know that sounds years away for you as it did for us at the time! But, get this, time has gone by so quick we will be moving out there early next year.
We never gave up on our dream and neither should you. Times will get better. Spanish people are some of the nicest I have ever met and it's such a beautiful country.
Keep the faith
Steve
Great post!

Jon
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

lordhowe is an unknown quantity at this point

such a load of negative people (ask there age)..follow your gut and your dreams...but you get out of life what you put in..good luck and go for it.ps im 53
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lordhowe
such a load of negative people (ask there(sic) age)..follow your gut and your dreams...but you get out of life what you put in..good luck and go for it.ps im 53
For negative, read realistic, as I said, if it was just him, I'd say go for it. But it isn't, he has a family to provide for, and that should be his overriding concern. At the moment, he has a job, money coming in, he has told us nothing that indicates he is ever likely to find employment in Spain. With monotonous regularity, over the years we have many similar posts, all asking for advice, but not liking it when the advice offered is not what they want to hear. Personally, me da un pepino whether he takes it or not, there are plane loads of failed dream seekers returning to UK, tails between their legs, seeking benefits, people are are simply trying to ensure he's not one of them. But you've told him what he wants to hear, he's more likely to follow your advice than everyone else's. I wish him look, he'll need it.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2-3 year plan to get to Spain

such a load of negative people (ask there age)..follow your gut and your dreams...but you get out of life what you put in..good luck and go for it.ps im 53
Its got nothing to do with being negative..its giving an honest answer..and its got absolutely nothing to do with age. The 6 million unemployed in Spain is the only proof you need.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Generally you may be right re age having nothing to do with it if you are wealthy enough not to need to work given current situation. Even in tebo53 excellent post there is mention of striving to ensure they could retire early and live to their means in Spain. The posts are negative simply because the situation if one needs to work in Spain generally is negative. Better being forewarned and making your own decision. The OP asked for opinions so they could make up their own mind. I wish them luck personaly if I needed to work living in Spain bringing up a young family would not be my choice. But each to their own.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:25 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

oh come on guys and gals............

lets stop the negativity, lets tell it how the guy wants it to be
a land of milk and honey with gold paving on the well kept streets, free food, free accommodation absolutely no problems whatsoever.
medical is free to all who want it, just walk in off the street, want a few days off from the new baby? then leave her in a free creche for a couple of days.

and forget all these reports about 6million unemployed in Spain, its just a story put about by the Spanish Govt so they can sneak more €billions of support from the wealthy Germans and their very own ECB

this Spain place really is UTOPIA and all we are doing is trying to stop others from coming here to enjoy what we are getting

Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:16 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to stop the OP from following up (and applying to) the vacancies for example on http://www.thelocal.es/ - there are 1174 vacancies today, and clicking on just a couple they seem to be targeting english -speakers.

Now it may be the OP does not have the relevant experience and/or qualifications to apply for those roles. If so, then he knows what he has to do to become employable.

Of course, if he chooses to believe the Doomsters, then those jobs don't exist, and he'll soon find that out. No need to argue about it, he'll find out soon enough. But if he does find those posts are genuine, he'll then have something to work towards, over the next couple of years.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Nothing to stop the OP from following up (and applying to) the vacancies for example on http://www.thelocal.es/ - there are 1174 vacancies today, and clicking on just a couple they seem to be targeting english -speakers.

Now it may be the OP does not have the relevant experience and/or qualifications to apply for those roles. If so, then he knows what he has to do to become employable.

Of course, if he chooses to believe the Doomsters, then those jobs don't exist, and he'll soon find that out. No need to argue about it, he'll find out soon enough. But if he does find those posts are genuine, he'll then have something to work towards, over the next couple of years.
I was talking to my sister-in-law about the job situation over the weekend

She says that there are still many positions advertised for those with excellent education and professional recrods, but that salaries are much lower than a few years ago (down by 30% or more), and because of the competition for work, very qualified people are getting the jobs that used to be filled by less qualified people

The end result is that unless you have a very good education record, speak 3 or 4 langauges and have great experience then you are likely to be joining the queue to the unemployment office

It is basicaly the same as the situation in the UK, only more so
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:45 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

So what are the other 3 languages you need to get a job in the UK?

Last I looked, UK unemployment is about 8%, and Spain is about 27%.
Yes, perhaps a little higher here, but for the most part, about the same as the UK.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
So what are the other 3 languages you need to get a job in the UK?

Last I looked, UK unemployment is about 8%, and Spain is about 27%.
Yes, perhaps a little higher here, but for the most part, about the same as the UK.
Did you miss the "only more so" comment?

When I graduated in 2002, very few graduates ended up working at Tescos or call centres. Nowadays there are 10,000s of them doing that

And in real terms salaries are really low, in the late 90s a good graduate could start earning 30k out of university, that is tricky nowadays

In the companies I worked for, the colleagues my age were mainly Oxbridge educated, but our line managers who were roughly 5 years older went to old polytechnic universities simply because there were less good jobs out there in 2002 than in 1997, and now in 2013 the trend has continued and is much worse.

There are lots of jobs in the UK, but not so many good jobs.

Languages are seen as essential for Spanish professionals but are just a nice-to-have in the UK, because of the role of English in the business world of course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.