Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

£478.00 per week, so at what £1.00 to $1.25, thats $597.00 per week

£478.00 per week, so at what £1.00 to $1.25, thats $597.00 per week

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:48 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £478.00 per week, so at what £1.00 to $1.25, thats $597.00 per week

Originally Posted by cricketman
So they dont sell food then? This one was full of food, really nasty looking food...
and usually full of council house tenants
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:59 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Yep, all prices done at yesterdays rates.

You will get cheap toms and melons etc in Spain...thats where they grow, same here Gower spuds, beautiful cabbage, carrots, cauliflower and marrows are about really high quality and cheap enough.

A litre of Spanish plonk in Tesco is £3.99 but its just that plonk and I'd not even cook with it but start paying £6 a bottle and you start to get a nice quaffing wine, you can get a good Cava for a fiver perfect to go with the food you burn on the BBQ. I buy beef and lamb off a local butcher, its pricey but wonderful but I've no problem buying fresh chicken breasts from Tesco for a curry and a fresh corn fed chicken there which are rather good.

Non of these foods will of course match what cricketman buys because he lives in a sort of Shangri-La tucked away from the smelly uneducated types or is it more like
Sorry Bob, I know there are time I don't agree with CM but on this you have to include Pocaloca, Lynn R, and myself in with him. We are all paying similar prices for easily obtainable, locally grown/reared food.
I don't think even in Morrisons I found a Cava at £5, but then a decent Cava here is around €3.50. But then when I discussed with a work colleague of the BH the Valdepenas available at low prices the poor girl shuddered and started getting irate about second pressings giving the product a bad name. Her father puts his grapes in a co-op and the output sells at no less than €5 a bottle. We have all probably tried different makes of Scotch, and shuddered at some of them.

We all have our Shangri-la and Spain appears to be it, just we are working hard to make sure no one finds out about it or they will all want to leave the UK and join us.

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Sor

We all have our Shangri-la and Spain appears to be it, just we are working hard to make sure no one finds out about it or they will all want to leave the UK and join us.

My wife says that tourists get herded out to the ugly parts of Spain with bad food, restaurants etc to leave the good stuff for the Spanish
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:30 pm

My wife says that tourists get herded out to the ugly parts of Spain with bad food, restaurants etc to leave the good stuff for the Spanish
never thought that, once again, your wife is right

isnt that what the CDS is for - tourists eating bad food, and now they are bringing them in by the shipload
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

never thought that, once again, your wife is right

isnt that what the CDS is for - tourists eating bad food, and now they are bringing them in by the shipload
Yes. As a disclaimer, you can find good places to eat in the CDS, but most is rubbish

My Spanish dentist in Fuengirola was Andalucian. He asked me whether I liked Andalucia, but then checked in his tracks and said "Well, this isnt really Andalucia, in fact its barely Spain. Andalucia starts about half an hour in land"
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Mine is not well trained either............

Thank God, it gives loads of room for me to splash out with what is left from the "housekeeping".

I would not have it anyother way.
Same here, I haven't a clue on any food prices, and on the rare occasions I have ever been shopping with the wife she's told me she would do it much better on her own. She wouldn't have it any other way either. To see blokes here quoting prices with such authority all seems a little sad to me, they need to get a life. J2, you've been on these forums long enough now to know that everything is cheap as chips in Spain, incredibly expensive in UK. Everything is fresh, top quality in Spain, UK all prepacked rubbish!
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

at thursdays market one of the fruit and veg guys was accosting people in the aisles and trying to get them to give a home to a water melon rather than take them home.
probably been in his van all week but WTH
The Spanish owner of our local bar up in the village gives out his fruit and veg for free.
One time he was giving out melons and ran out when he got to us, he said he would drop us some off at home the following day which he did......all eight of them.

You don't get fresh fruit for a better price than that!
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. As a disclaimer, you can find good places to eat in the CDS, but most is rubbish

My Spanish dentist in Fuengirola was Andalucian. He asked me whether I liked Andalucia, but then checked in his tracks and said "Well, this isnt really Andalucia, in fact its barely Spain. Andalucia starts about half an hour in land"
Make that an hour and I will agree with you!
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I realyy wish my OH was trained as well as you blokes, he doesn't know the price of a bottle of milk...although I don't
Originally Posted by me me
Mine is not well trained either............

Thank God, it gives loads of room for me to splash out with what is left from the "housekeeping".

I would not have it anyother way.
Originally Posted by agoreira
Same here, I haven't a clue on any food prices, and on the rare occasions I have ever been shopping with the wife she's told me she would do it much better on her own. She wouldn't have it any other way either. To see blokes here quoting prices with such authority all seems a little sad to me, they need to get a life. J2, you've been on these forums long enough now to know that everything is cheap as chips in Spain, incredibly expensive in UK. Everything is fresh, top quality in Spain, UK all prepacked rubbish!
as I said, in my case it is an expedient, when one is working and the other isnt surely it is part of the partnership for the one not working to do some of the chores to give yuo more time together.
I don't expect someone who has been out of the house 12 hours working to come home and then go shopping and cook my meals and do the washing up and do all the "women" things whilst I have had a hard day on BE Spain and just sit back with a bottle of Cava.

I really do think that some neanderthals would have problems finding the fridge when they want another tinny without the wife at hand to run and fetch for them......
or is it all just posturing for their "friends" on the forum
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
If you pride yourself on not having a clue about any food prices, how can you have any opinion either way on how cheap or expensive Spain is compared to the UK, or vice versa?

Having a dig at people and calling them sad is just trying to deflect attention from the factual evidence a number of posters have provided to confirm that prices for MOST items (not all) are cheaper in Spain. The only food products I find more expensive in Spain are imported ones for the British market, which is hardly surprising. I very rarely buy them.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:45 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Having a dig at people and calling them sad is just trying to deflect attention from the factual evidence a number of posters have provided to confirm that prices for MOST items (not all) are cheaper in Spain. The only food products I find more expensive in Spain are imported ones for the British market, which is hardly surprising. I very rarely buy them.[/QUOTE]

Your right ..British goods are expensive.. The British shop here closed as no one wanted to pay high prices.. Last Christmas tins of choclates which were £5 in UK were €11 here.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about comparable food prices but surely this argument must move with the exchange rate. I have always thought that at about 115 euros to the pound the overall cost of living was similar to the Uk/Spain. At 125 and above Spain starts becoming quite a bit cheaper.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:05 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I know nothing about comparable food prices but surely this argument must move with the exchange rate. I have always thought that at about 115 euros to the pound the overall cost of living was similar to the Uk/Spain. At 125 and above Spain starts becoming quite a bit cheaper.
that only matters if your income is from the UK though
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that only matters if your income is from the UK though
My comment was in respect of the price comparisons being made Uk/Spain by some posters.
It's true that if your income is solely from Spain then what really matters is how much you spend on food etc. as a percentage of your income.
I don't know but on that basis I suspect the Uk may be seen as having a higher standard of living.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

Having a dig at people and calling them sad is just trying to deflect attention from the factual evidence a number of posters have provided to confirm that prices for MOST items (not all) are cheaper in Spain.
There we are, we are in agreement, everything is cheap as chips in Spain. Everything is UK is dearer, the fruit, veg, meat is all rubbish, everything is so much tastier in Spain, we all eat prepacked convenience food in UK. No argument.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.