Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

£478.00 per week, so at what £1.00 to $1.25, thats $597.00 per week

£478.00 per week, so at what £1.00 to $1.25, thats $597.00 per week

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £478.00 per week, so at what £1.00 to $1.25, thats $597.00 per week

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes but you are just being selective. Advocados were cheaper in the UK last week than Spain...honest. As for wine, I said Spain was cheaper although I didn't drink the slop. When you go into the shops there are always special offers for fruit and I don't buy mangoes, the ones grown in Spain are rubbish, nothing like in the Caribbean ones. Whatever you say I was there 15 years and I know how much more expensive a lot of stuff was when I was there.

Anyway, as I said I am not getting into it all, been like this for years on here and I am off to lunch....two carverys for a tenner....don't know how much the wine is though

PS. Have to laugh at you all sat browsing through Tesco this morning.....don't you have any life out there

I couldn't shop at Lidl, it looks dreadful...except for wine.
then its a good job you don't drink the slop...

I am off to the big city tomorrow to meet up with the BH for our weekly Del Dia, €3.50 each but that is really expensive compared with what you are paying Jacky
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:52 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I realyy wish my OH was trained as well as you blokes, he doesn't know the price of a bottle of milk...although I don't
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but you are just being selective. Advocados were cheaper in the UK last week than Spain...honest. As for wine, I said Spain was cheaper although I didn't drink the slop. When you go into the shops there are always special offers for fruit and I don't buy mangoes, the ones grown in Spain are rubbish, nothing like in the Caribbean ones. Whatever you say I was there 15 years and I know how much more expensive a lot of stuff was when I was there.

Anyway, as I said I am not getting into it all, been like this for years on here and I am off to lunch....two carverys for a tenner....don't know how much the wine is though

PS. Have to laugh at you all sat browsing through Tesco this morning.....don't you have any life out there

I couldn't shop at Lidl, it looks dreadful...except for wine.
Like anything it depends on what you choose to buy and where you choose to buy it. The quality of what you buy depends a lot on the shopper!

And normally you get what you pay for. Two carveries for a tenner, on a Monday? Good luck!
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yep, BUT ..... I go to Aldi & Lidl here in Spain before I ever venture near Mercadona who are generally regarded here as an expensive supermarket. ASDA price however is supposed to be cheap isnt it?
don't find Mercadona much different in price nowadays, they have several wines at sub €2.50, 5 bags of ice at €3.95 and even the fresh fish stall is really comparable with Alcampo. Meat not much higher than in the village.

Coviran usually the expensive one comparable prices to Carrefor and Cortes des Ingles but..... we have 2 here in the village (as well as a Paqui and a Spar) and they seem to adjust their prices to what the locals will pay, so perhaps it is "Big City" pricing syndrome as they were definitely more expensive when we lived there.

it all comes down to where you, what you want and where the shop is at that time.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:09 pm

I realyy wish my OH was trained as well as you blokes, he doesn't know the price of a bottle of milk...although I don't
Jacky, for all of us it comes down to doing our bit to give us more time with the BH. Being retired I have the time to do the shopping, she would either have to cram it in during lunch and nowhere to store it, or cram it into 40 mins after work or miss another bus which means another hour's wait.

But I am pleased to see that I am not the only "old bloke" who is doing it, and also that my pricing is corroborated by the ladies as well.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:12 pm

sri, forgot to tell you that it is 79c for a 1L brick of semi-skimmed.
surely half the UK price - if you should ever find out.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
before I ever venture near Mercadona who are generally regarded here as an expensive supermarket.
Not according to the statistics. They are the second cheapest after Consum.

To be fair, Lidl and Aldi are not included in the figures.

http://www.observatorioprecios.es/Es...ral/Archivo/52 Page 26

Like you we tend to go to Lidl first now followed by Mercadona.

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 3rd 2012 at 12:21 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:22 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Not according to the statistics. They are the second cheapest after Consum.

To be fair, Lidl and Aldi are not included in the figures.

http://www.observatorioprecios.es/Es...ral/Archivo/52 Page 26
isn't it strange ....... the last time I went into a Consum I walked out because I was horrified at the prices!!

I'm a Mercadona girl
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I don't buy mangoes, the ones grown in Spain are rubbish ...
Strange coincidence, I'm halfway through a mango & apricot smoothie right now - and it's just sublime!
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Strange coincidence, I'm halfway through a mango & apricot smoothie right now - and it's just sublime!
I think you need to have a word with Jacky's chef, can't be preparing properly, unless the chauffeur kept the wrong box for his above garage flat
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Bob, are you allowing for the exchange rates in your comparison ?
10 years ago it was €1.50 to £1.00 but now has deteriorated to €1.22 (approx)
I see nothing wrong with the quality of food I am buying - and I am tough on the quality!
the meat bill for 2 is on average €15 per week, when in the UK end of last year would expect that to be at least 50% higher, even when taking into account the special offers at Morrisons and Sainsburys. And I am not factoring in the fuel cost to get there, whilst here I walk to the butchers.

Chicken here is €2.29/kg, perhaps comparable with UK, except they are really fresh, no excessive water pumping them up, no additives so they taste like chicken or to keep for a week. Pork chops are €3.95 or €4.25 or €4.65 dependent on the meat and cut. Eggs from €1.50 for a dozen (someone explain why in a decimal country they sell medium in 12's and large in 10's??)
Also, meat is priced by the weight, there is no hidden extra charge for cutting, mincing, slicing nor for special cuts.

we buy bread for the BH's sandwiches - €0.75 in Spar, whilst others are around €1.20 - €1.50. We also buy baggette loaves (sticks) from local bakery at 2 for €1.00, when did the UK last see them at 50p each ? (ISTR they were 75p a year ago)

Our one concession to UK living is we arrange special shipments via a work colleague for Branston Pickle and Heinz Tomato Ketchup. Everything else is local produce, even the marmalade.
and I can tell you getting the dog to make a choice of favourite food was more difficult. (NO, not Mercadona!)
Yep, all prices done at yesterdays rates.

You will get cheap toms and melons etc in Spain...thats where they grow, same here Gower spuds, beautiful cabbage, carrots, cauliflower and marrows are about really high quality and cheap enough.

A litre of Spanish plonk in Tesco is £3.99 but its just that plonk and I'd not even cook with it but start paying £6 a bottle and you start to get a nice quaffing wine, you can get a good Cava for a fiver perfect to go with the food you burn on the BBQ. I buy beef and lamb off a local butcher, its pricey but wonderful but I've no problem buying fresh chicken breasts from Tesco for a curry and a fresh corn fed chicken there which are rather good.

Non of these foods will of course match what cricketman buys because he lives in a sort of Shangri-La tucked away from the smelly uneducated types or is it more like

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:02 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is not well trained either............

Thank God, it gives loads of room for me to splash out with what is left from the "housekeeping".

I would not have it anyother way.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Non of these foods will of course match what cricketman buys because he lives in a sort of Shangri-La tucked away from the smelly uneducated types or is it more like
I have no problem hanging out with anyone, I dont care how wealthy or not they are. The Malaga food markets were cheap as chips, but great produce. Same here in Asturias, the best stuff is in the villages. Natural, artesan and great value. When we lived in Catalunya we'd visit the villages in the mountains at the weekend and stock up on cheese and bull blanc for the week. Amazing

Tesco's on the otherhand... we walked in a Tesco express that opened up near where we lived in London, took a look at the meat and walked straight out again. Nothing to do with who visits it, everything to do with the cr*p they sell there

But sorry to say I feel the same about Mercadona. Never been back since we bought some chorizo criollo there, and it made us sick. My wife did warn me though
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I have no problem hanging out with anyone, I dont care how wealthy or not they are. The Malaga food markets were cheap as chips, but great produce. Same here in Asturias, the best stuff is in the villages. Natural, artesan and great value. When we lived in Catalunya we'd visit the villages in the mountains at the weekend and stock up on cheese and bull blanc for the week. Amazing

Tesco's on the otherhand... we walked in a Tesco express that opened up near where we lived in London, took a look at the meat and walked straight out again. Nothing to do with who visits it, everything to do with the cr*p they sell there

But sorry to say I feel the same about Mercadona. Never been back since we bought some chorizo criollo there, and it made us sick. My wife did warn me though
Tesco Express thats a corner shop for crying out loud, not ideal for sourcing well hung mature beef Tesco Express
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Tesco Express thats a corner shop for crying out loud, not ideal for sourcing well hung mature beef Tesco Express
So they dont sell food then? This one was full of food, really nasty looking food...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.