Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

£478.00 per week, so at what £1.00 to $1.25, thats $597.00 per week

£478.00 per week, so at what £1.00 to $1.25, thats $597.00 per week

Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:24 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £478.00 per week, so at what £1.00 to $1.25, thats $597.00 per week

Originally Posted by Rotor
Mid forties , you will be bored **itless or an alcoholic in two months.
Try it sometime, you'll be pleasantly surprised,......... I was.
No ball and chain in tow, brilliant.
Wintertime is best in the Canaries when the Scandi Snowbirds arrive.
Women, more women then a little wine and song in that order, though to be fair there's much else to do and see in the daytime, way off the beaten track around all the islands for anyone up to it.
There were never enough hours in the day for me.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't read the last few pages. I find Spain cheaper, I'm 4km away from Marbella inland, have sea views from every part of the property, which is 1200 sq metres. I have advacado trees,, fig trees, grapes, peaches, pears, oranges and tangerines. My neighbour grows everything fresh from his garden, fresh eggs, rabbit, honey from his own bees etc and my water is spring water from the mountains. No chemicals and I don't pay for it. It's free for me.. So my living costs here are much lower it's much healthier living. I like the fact I can take my rubbish up the road everyday, instead of waiting for the garbage man. It's cheaper to eat at my local pub that it was in UK locally. UK can't give me the outdoor lifestyle or the cosmopolitian choice. I like waking up to the sun and being able to walk and it's still sunny in the evenings until it goes dark in the summer. Also the water melon is better here. My skin, weight etc is always much better when I get back here than when I'm in UK. I have a house in UK and my costs are way lower here. Ok, going to a harvester or a Toby for a carvery it can be cheap. But overall the costs are much higher. I can't eat the bread then in many instances because of all the chemicals, likewise many places cook from processed food, so eating out healthier is actually hard going and getting healthy takeways even harder. In Oz I never ate at home, and could always find something healthy to eat, likewise here. Even the coffee is better, at least I don't get a bucket of crap here. Have no idea why people like starbucks and costa coffee, American shit. Can't understand why there aren't franchises of med outlets. The Brits just can't make coffee.

£475 a week, you can live very comfortably as a single person to the OP. If you like the lifestyle of Australia you certainly can get a similar either in Spain or the Canaries. I lived in Oz for 10 years and why I chose Spain as an nearer alternative to my family in UK. I never liked the UK, although I used to commute there for 20 weeks of the year. In Australia and Spain I don't get sick, in UK I was forever getting sick and I'm more healthier here. In the summer I'm quite happy having cold showers, as generally they are luke warm anyway, so my utility bills are lower. I don't have air con, as being in the mountains I get a breeze. I can't stand central heating and the winters nearly kill me. So all in all Spain ticks the boxes on health, cost etc. I live 10 mins from Marbella, PB, the beach, and close to the shops and am slightly rural with trees and mountains and sea views. Uk can't give me that for the same cost. Plus I find the natives more friendlier.

Last edited by Mercedes; Sep 14th 2012 at 4:20 am.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:27 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Mid forties , you will be bored **itless or an alcoholic in two months.
Another good thing is, you will be warm in the sunshine..
Old Sep 14th 2012, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Another good thing is, you will be warm in the sunshine..

The OP lives in Aussie so I doubt he gets that cold , I spend time in Spain ,the UK and colder countries , theres more to life than just lounging in the sun or else no one would live beyond 40°N
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:12 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The OP lives in Aussie so I doubt he gets that cold , I spend time in Spain ,the UK and colder countries , theres more to life than just lounging in the sun or else no one would live beyond 40°N
I would hope you agree to lifting that a bit to the 44th parallel, otherwise you are cutting off a chunk of prime Spanish land

I know it means a larger slice of France is included, but then the only problem with France is its full of Frenchmen
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I would hope you agree to lifting that a bit to the 44th parallel, otherwise you are cutting off a chunk of prime Spanish land

I know it means a larger slice of France is included, but then the only problem with France is its full of Frenchmen
I think 40°N runs through Madrid , Ive seen snowploughs north of there so odly winters can be colder than the UK
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:31 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

I am on an Aussie Board and they get very cold winters..
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
I am on an Aussie Board and they get very cold winters..

Ive lived there and Aussies dont know what a cold winter is , yes I know there areas for skiing but they are the exception .
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:44 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I think 40°N runs through Madrid , Ive seen snowploughs north of there so odly winters can be colder than the UK
actually (according to Google Maps who do a graphic on it) it runs south of Madrid which is at Coordinates: 40°23′N 3°43′W

as to snow, well as Madrid is at 2188ft asl (667m) what do you expect when afaik the UK has no heavily populated areas at that height.
after living at sea and moving to the Fens for a few years I find the 750m (2460ft) height here makes life a lot different, the ears going pop is a regular on even a small car journey
In the winter you think you are driving through a mist, until you realise it is actually low cloud

and someone says I shouldnt get the Winter Fuel Allowance
Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:08 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Haven't read the last few pages. I find Spain cheaper, I'm 4km away from Marbella inland, have sea views from every part of the property, which is 1200 sq metres. I have advacado trees,, fig trees, grapes, peaches, pears, oranges and tangerines. My neighbour grows everything fresh from his garden, fresh eggs, rabbit, honey from his own bees etc and my water is spring water from the mountains. No chemicals and I don't pay for it. It's free for me.. So my living costs here are much lower it's much healthier living. I like the fact I can take my rubbish up the road everyday, instead of waiting for the garbage man. It's cheaper to eat at my local pub that it was in UK locally. UK can't give me the outdoor lifestyle or the cosmopolitian choice. I like waking up to the sun and being able to walk and it's still sunny in the evenings until it goes dark in the summer. Also the water melon is better here. My skin, weight etc is always much better when I get back here than when I'm in UK. I have a house in UK and my costs are way lower here. Ok, going to a harvester or a Toby for a carvery it can be cheap. But overall the costs are much higher. I can't eat the bread then in many instances because of all the chemicals, likewise many places cook from processed food, so eating out healthier is actually hard going and getting healthy takeways even harder. In Oz I never ate at home, and could always find something healthy to eat, likewise here. Even the coffee is better, at least I don't get a bucket of crap here. Have no idea why people like starbucks and costa coffee, American shit. Can't understand why there aren't franchises of med outlets. The Brits just can't make coffee.

£475 a week, you can live very comfortably as a single person to the OP. If you like the lifestyle of Australia you certainly can get a similar either in Spain or the Canaries. I lived in Oz for 10 years and why I chose Spain as an nearer alternative to my family in UK. I never liked the UK, although I used to commute there for 20 weeks of the year. In Australia and Spain I don't get sick, in UK I was forever getting sick and I'm more healthier here. In the summer I'm quite happy having cold showers, as generally they are luke warm anyway, so my utility bills are lower. I don't have air con, as being in the mountains I get a breeze. I can't stand central heating and the winters nearly kill me. So all in all Spain ticks the boxes on health, cost etc. I live 10 mins from Marbella, PB, the beach, and close to the shops and am slightly rural with trees and mountains and sea views. Uk can't give me that for the same cost. Plus I find the natives more friendlier.
I wish I hadn't read your post about living in the mountains above Marbella. I was pretty happy living on flat land to the south of Alicante and had given up hope of ever returning to the CDS, and then you post this!

Now I've got the maps out again, Kyero is next, and I'm going to try yet again to persuade the other half that Andalucia isn't just a poor land full of thieving Gypsies and revving bulldozers that want to tear your house down.

Thanks anyway, for a marvellous read.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:15 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I wish I hadn't read your post about living in the mountains above Marbella. I was pretty happy living on flat land to the south of Alicante and had given up hope of ever returning to the CDS, and then you post this!

Now I've got the maps out again, Kyero is next, and I'm going to try yet again to persuade the other half that Andalucia isn't just a poor land full of thieving Gypsies and revving bulldozers that want to tear your house down.

Thanks anyway, for a marvellous read.
Some very nice views of Marbella in this vid from Piers Morgan. Definitely not a poor land from those clips. But would you really want to live among the people he interviews?

Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Some very nice views of Marbella in this vid from Piers Morgan. Definitely not a poor land from those clips. But would you really want to live among the people he interviews?

PM = Despicable oike.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:41 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm the owners of Euroweekly...do you really think they are representative of Marbella Next you will be giving us a clip of TOWIE or a scene with Manuel from Faulty Towers
Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:47 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

mercedes what do you eat when the summer season stuff is done I congratualte you on fitting all that produce on 1200 metres

As for the water...be careful. One spring in the campo behind Marbella was found to be contaminated with illegal phosphates...seep from the farmers fields growing all that natural produce
Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes

Mercedes, fantastic post cheered me up i am here in australia at the moment, i am living on £500 pounds aweek about 740 ozzy bucks, its a struggle my rent is $350, $8 bucks a pint but the climate is lovely. i spend about $150 bucks aweek on food, $100 bucks aweek on takeout beer, $50 bucks aweek on travel/phone/internet so only leaves enough for one night out a week. not really living the dream. in Spain, the canaries i reckon i could live quite well on £500 aweek, very well. i have been loooking at New Zealand but the costs are the same as Oz. going to stay here for now try and get my residency, if not i am heading off to the Canaries, reckon i have enough to live there renting till i drop of my canary perch, at £500 aweek adjusted for wage inflation rising each year inline till in am mid sixties. thanks again, great post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.