Moving to SA from UK?

Old Dec 30th 2015, 1:11 pm
a01
Just Joined

a01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to SA from UK?

I'm struggling to find the relevant information i need on the internet and siphoning out what is the correct info and what isn't and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. To cut a long story short i would like to move to SA from the UK. I'm reading a lot of conflicting information, My plan would be to save enough money (which wouldn't be a lot considering the how the rand is right now) to support for myself for a long period 6 months + and try to look for work while i was over there.

Unfortunately i'm not sure this is even possible now, i find the whole visa process confusing. For example on some websites it states you can get a temporary residency visa as a visitor that wishes to stay longer than 90 days, it also then says you can work using this visa? but i'm not sure thats correct. I'm also of the understanding you can't get a job without a SA ID? nor open a south african bank account?

Also without a work permit can you even work? and given that you need to be in receipt of a job offer before a work permit will be issued how is it possible. I understand there used to be a work-seekers permit, but this has now been discontinued.

I can see some very knowledgable people on here so i'm hoping someone will be able to clear it all up for me.

Short of not being able to move over and find work, my other option (i've got a BSc Hons Degree) would be to study a masters degree at a south african university.

Given that, for the cost of a masters degree over here, you could support yourself in South Africa for a year and also find part-time work of up to 20 hours if required. But are they strict on study visa's?

Some Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a01; Dec 30th 2015 at 1:13 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 5:52 pm
Banned

etnaboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to SA from UK?

Interested to see too, does not look like there is much action on this forum though for S.A

I have my own business *online and live in Italy, i am getting bored of the winters here and prefer to find year round sunshine, i was speaking to someone in S.A today and she was telling me its 35c!

Sign me up for that!

I have 2 dogs, to be honest not looked at any detail until i came to this part of BE FORUMs.

hope someone can fill in the gaps for us both

sorry to threadjack but seems like we both will want similar info and i do not think two threads are worth it with only 1 reply a week likely..

you can PM me if you wish as I AM 100% serious about going.. ideally i want to drive it and take ferries, again need to check this out..
Old Dec 31st 2015, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

neither of you have said why you want to go to SA, apart from the better climate, but it also gets hot in many other parts of the world too !! Have you looked into the day to day security problems? Do you know how difficult it is to get a residence visa, etc etc?
Central America has a good climate and less security risks, as do many parts of South America.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is sunny in many parts of the world. I am not sure this is a good time to plan migration to South Africa. Have you checked out visas and work permits ?
100 years ago you could just up sticks and go. The world is no longer like that.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 4:50 pm
a01
Just Joined

It's not just the climate, I'm also attracted by the beautiful scenery and outdoor lifestyle of South Africa, the diversity, low cost of living and the fact it is near enough in the same time zone as the UK. I'm quite aware of the problem of crime in South Africa, but I'm of the understanding these are in localised areas? I'm also aware of the economical climate and unrest revolving around said president Zuma. I've looked into the visa situation and it seems pretty much impossible and I'm aware that any company that employs a non-South Africa has to prove they couldn't find a suitable South African for the role and jump through many hoops, most of which a employer wouldn't bother to do.

Having said that I've seen it written around that I could go on a visitors visa and potentially find an employer who would be willing to do this, but elsewhere I've read you can't work on a visitors visa. I just wanted someone in the know to try and clear up any false truths. I've also been thinking about doing a masters, for the cost of just the course here in the UK, I could live and pay for a masters degree in South Africa and support myself without even needing to find a job, although that could be an option given your allowed to work upto 20 hours a week on a student visa.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 4:51 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

There are dozens of threads on this African forum that have answered these questions many times. If you have a BSc hons I'd have assumed you'd have done research to obtain it? Scroll through and have a read. The answers will be there.

But, in summary:

No, you can't work without a work permit.

You can get a visitors visa for 90 days and you can't work on it. You don't need an ID but it helps, but you can't get an ID without PR. You can then leave after 90 days and re-enter but they will need to see proof you can support yourself and a return ticket. If they suspect you are planning to work they won't let you in.

Yes, they are strict on student / study visas. You can get one but can't work on it either unless you meet strict criteria which are set at the visa application meeting you need to attend in Whitehall.

You won't find anyone in SA to employ you if you turn up looking for a job without a work permit. Don't even try. It's expensive and Labour intensive for the employer and never worth the hassle. Unemployment is over 25% and they will be penalized for employing a Brit as opposed to a South African (many of whom have similar or better qualifications than you) so for them to even consider this you need to be Stephen Hawkins or Johnny Ives. Look at the critical skills list here: http://www.dha.gov.za/images/immigra...cal_skills.pdf - if you have many years of experience in these fields you may get lucky.

The visa information really isn't that complicated. All the information is either on this forum, or here: http://www.dha.gov.za/images/final_I...ons_2014_1.pdf

Last edited by ededed; Jan 2nd 2016 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 5:00 pm
a01
Just Joined

Thank you ededed, it was you I was waiting for to reply. I have had a look through the forum, but I understood that the visa system had gone through a big overhaul in the last year, thus I figured the info would be outdated. Which is probably why I've been reading so much conflicting information.

That's disappointing to here, i guess if I decide to pursue a masters degree, I could explore the option of applying to South African universities and pursuing experiencing the country through that option. I've read on SA university websites that your allowed to work upto 20 hours on a study visa? Is this not the case?

Thanks for your reply.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 5:02 pm
Banned

etnaboom is an unknown quantity at this point

For me
90 days would suit nicely

I have my own business, its online and golf based so i would be at a golf resort (Been looking at Fancourt)

If anything I might employ someone

I love road trips, nature etc, is there a viable and safe way to get a car there by driving, ferries? Or is it best just to ship it (I know shipping the car is not a problem)

Ah pdf is from 2014, as i understand this basically means its not worth reading now as things change every few months.

FRIKKIN COLD HERE, I HATE THE COLD!

Last edited by etnaboom; Jan 2nd 2016 at 5:07 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 5:05 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a01
Thank you ededed, it was you I was waiting for to reply. I have had a look through the forum, but I understood that the visa system had gone through a big overhaul in the last year, thus I figured the info would be outdated. Which is probably why I've been reading so much conflicting information.

That's disappointing to here, i guess if I decide to pursue a masters degree, I could explore the option of applying to South African universities and pursuing experiencing the country through that option. I've read on SA university websites that your allowed to work upto 20 hours on a study visa? Is this not the case?

Thanks for your reply.
The immigration officer will confirm how, where and when you can work. If you are allowed to work for 20 hours, who will employ you? Locals will do any menial job for a fraction of the rate you would expect or need to make any travel to a job worthwhile, and no-one needs a part-time worker in a senior role. So you're kinda stuck in a spiral.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 5:24 pm
a01
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ededed
The immigration officer will confirm how, where and when you can work. If you are allowed to work for 20 hours, who will employ you? Locals will do any menial job for a fraction of the rate you would expect or need to make any travel to a job worthwhile, and no-one needs a part-time worker in a senior role. So you're kinda stuck in a spiral.
I see, thank you for sharing your knowledge, yeah I thought as much, although I wouldn't be expecting much money were I to find work and I would plan to save up enough money here to support myself for the duration of the masters over in South Africa. Just out of interest, how much do you think I would need for a year without work? With just accommodation and food. I was thinking around £10,000.

It I feel quite sad that such a beautiful country is beyond my reach and has the troubles it currently does. Guess I need to find a South African to marry me! Although from what I've read on this forum, even that is an absolute nightmare.

Also I wanted to ask, do you think there will ever be a change in visa rules were the economic climate to improve, even though at the moment it's in a pretty bad place.

Last edited by a01; Jan 2nd 2016 at 5:31 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by a01
I see, thank you for sharing your knowledge, yeah I thought as much, although I wouldn't be expecting much money were I to find work and I would plan to save up enough money here to support myself for the duration of the masters over in South Africa. Just out of interest, how much do you think I would need for a year without work? With just accommodation and food. I was thinking around £10,000.

It I feel quite sad that such a beautiful country is beyond my reach and has the troubles it currently does. Guess I need to find a South African to marry me! Although from what I've read on this forum, even that is an absolute nightmare.

Also I wanted to ask, do you think there will ever be a change in visa rules were the economic climate to improve, even though at the moment it's in a pretty bad place.
At today's exchange rate £10k is about R240k, so that may be enough if you live carefully. Rent will be anything from R4k a month if you like basic and rustic, check out Property For Sale | Houses For Sale | Property Rentals | Auctions for rental prices - but be prepared to travel.

There won't be a change in visa rules. If anything, they're going to make it harder rather than easier. Their unemployment and drive to BEE means foreigners are becoming surplus to requirements and against everything the ANC and Zuma stands for.

SA is broken. Nothing can fix it now.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

They do not want you and they do not need you. Why should they encourage foreigners to come and live in South Africa ? Protectionism is the name of the game there - as it is everywhere else in the modern world. The barriers have gone up and will get higher.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

ishsay is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Moving to SA from UK?

Hi there
Apologies for resurrecting a old thread but I felt compelled to answer the OP.

A01 and etnaboom dont despair, if you really want to come to SA, my advice would be to come here for a visit. Enquire around about jobs, check Gumtree or indeed etc. Everyday there are many jobs advertised requiring speakers of foreign languages. At my husband's job ( big corporate) there are 3 french citizens working, one of which whose visa has expired. Things continue as per normal.

The government has also published a critical skills list, check this out and if you qualify, getting a job is a breeze. The visa might be caught in red tape but this doesnt stop you from working. People are desperate for educated migrants here. If you have something to contribute to society and not coming here to be domestic worker, gardener or hairdresser, anything can be arranged. Just be positive. As an aside, many people prefer to hire illegal immigrants. I myself have hired them, as their work ethic was better. It was as a gardener though.

Dont be afraid, this is Africa after all. There are literally thousands (if not millions) of illegal immigrants here and they are here to stay. Take a chance with a tourist visa and see what you get. You never know, especially if you have friends and relatives here.

Also get to know your local embassy here. They are always holding events for their citizens and it is a good way to network and ask others how they handling their visa problem.

SA has its problems but we love foreigners...

From A Proudly (not always and not often) South African