Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

SPOUSE OF SA CITIZEN - WHICH VISA

SPOUSE OF SA CITIZEN - WHICH VISA

Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute
Default SPOUSE OF SA CITIZEN - WHICH VISA

My son and his girlfriend are getting married in November and want to relocate to SA early 2016 from Australia. He is a SA citizen but his fiance is not and need a visa to live and work in SA. I thought that it would be simple for her to get PR on the basis of her marriage to a SA citizen but he says that they have to be in a spousal relationship for 5 years before she is eligible for that - is this true? If she cannot get PR now on the basis of their marriage, what other options does she have? Surely the SA immigration laws cannot be so silly that it stops its own citizens from returning home with their spouses within the first 5 years of marriage?
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SPOUSE OF SA CITIZEN - WHICH VISA

UK immigration law does exactly that !
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
My son and his girlfriend are getting married in November and want to relocate to SA early 2016 from Australia. He is a SA citizen but his fiance is not and need a visa to live and work in SA. I thought that it would be simple for her to get PR on the basis of her marriage to a SA citizen but he says that they have to be in a spousal relationship for 5 years before she is eligible for that - is this true? If she cannot get PR now on the basis of their marriage, what other options does she have? Surely the SA immigration laws cannot be so silly that it stops its own citizens from returning home with their spouses within the first 5 years of marriage?
Doesn't SA have something similar to Australia? here you have to be married/cohabiting for three years (or 2 with a child) before you can get PR but there is a temporary visa that you get in the meantime. Hopefully someone can help out with this.....
Old Sep 13th 2015, 11:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
No, there is no time limit after the marriage before they can com to the UK, just the financial requirements.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Doesn't SA have something similar to Australia? here you have to be married/cohabiting for three years (or 2 with a child) before you can get PR but there is a temporary visa that you get in the meantime. Hopefully someone can help out with this.....
In Australia you apply for PR from the outset but it is a two-step process - the first step gives you conditional PR status, which is a step up from temporary status, and the second gives unconditional PR. This is similar to the situation in the USA. I am not aware that SA something similar.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, your son's wife should apply for a Spouse Visa under the temporary residency criteria. That's normally good for 2 - 3 years and can be renewed, followed by an application for permanent residence after the couple have been married for 5 years.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 9:27 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia you apply for PR from the outset but it is a two-step process - the first step gives you conditional PR status, which is a step up from temporary status, and the second gives unconditional PR. This is similar to the situation in the USA. I am not aware that SA something similar.
I know how Australia works I was just conjecturing as the OP only mentioned Permenent Residency, whether there was a step in between in South Africa, like there sometimes is in Aus-allowing temporary and provisional residence.
Within Aus the Provisional step is really treated as a temporary visa, employers etc rarely recognise it as anything else.

Seems odd if South Africa don't allow a couple to live together in South africa until they have reached the 5 year mark, but then there's nowt as queer as immigration rules!
Old Sep 14th 2015, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by MartynK
AFAIK, your son's wife should apply for a Spouse Visa under the temporary residency criteria. That's normally good for 2 - 3 years and can be renewed, followed by an application for permanent residence after the couple have been married for 5 years.
That sounds like the kind of thing I was thinking of -similar to Aus. Temporary but she can go for a permanent visa later once they have been together long enough.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the replies. Does the temporary visa have work rights?
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Within Aus the Provisional step is really treated as a temporary visa....
People on this visa are eligible for Medicare, for example, so that's not true at all.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies. Does the temporary visa have work rights?
Sort of, but you need to obtain a work endorsement. I think it's just a matter of producing a valid employment contract, which the employer will generate as part of the normal recruitment process anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

girlgeek is an unknown quantity at this point

I am confused around the spousal visa and looking for help, one of the 'conditions' of this seems to be that you need to have lived with an been jointly financially responsible with your spouse for a period of 2 years. My partner and I haven't been together that long and have lived in our respective countries for the duration of our relationship, despite holidays to and fro.

Does this mean that I can't move to SA to be with him?! I am looking to move in February and have saved some money, he is willing to (and can afford to) be financially responsible for me until I can find work but I can't see a work around.

I have been in touch with a few immigration companies (found over the magic of Google) who haven't replied yet and I am feeling very disheartened. Looking for help please!
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Sorry, but that is incorrect.

You can apply for a spouse visa as soon as you are married.

If granted you obtain an initial 2.5 year visa, then apply for a second 2.5 year visa and after the 5 year period you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and then naturalisation.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by girlgeek
I am confused around the spousal visa and looking for help, one of the 'conditions' of this seems to be that you need to have lived with an been jointly financially responsible with your spouse for a period of 2 years. My partner and I haven't been together that long and have lived in our respective countries for the duration of our relationship, despite holidays to and fro.

Does this mean that I can't move to SA to be with him?! I am looking to move in February and have saved some money, he is willing to (and can afford to) be financially responsible for me until I can find work but I can't see a work around.

I have been in touch with a few immigration companies (found over the magic of Google) who haven't replied yet and I am feeling very disheartened. Looking for help please!
I stand to be corrected, but AFAIK:

You're not eligible for a spousal visa as you're not married. 'Partnerships' fall under a different category (Life Partner visa/permit) but these carry an onus of providing evidence of a permanent relationship and cohabitation. This seems to be a stumbling block in your situation.

Your easiest solution seems to be marriage. The husband/wife of an SA citizen or permanent resident is entitled to a spouse visa if you have been married for less than 5 years, and this can be converted to permanent residence at the 5 year point. Your marriage certificate should be sufficient proof for the visa.

A couple of caveats. Firstly, I'm reasonably sure this is correct, but not absolutely certain. Laws and regulations change, and the SA Dept of Home Affairs is the only definitive authority. Secondly, dealing with the SA authorities can be frustrating, to put it mildly. Delays, losing documents, giving contradictory advice and general indifference/ineptitude are common.

Ed (Moderator) will probably be along at some point, and he may be able to offer some further insights. Check back in a day or two?

Last edited by MartynK; Aug 23rd 2016 at 6:02 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:31 am
Just Joined

girlgeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartynK
I stand to be corrected, but AFAIK:

You're not eligible for a spousal visa as you're not married. 'Partnerships' fall under a different category (Life Partner visa/permit) but these carry an onus of providing evidence of a permanent relationship and cohabitation. This seems to be a stumbling block in your situation.

Your easiest solution seems to be marriage. The husband/wife of an SA citizen or permanent resident is entitled to a spouse visa if you have been married for less than 5 years, and this can be converted to permanent residence at the 5 year point. Your marriage certificate should be sufficient proof for the visa.

A couple of caveats. Firstly, I'm reasonably sure this is correct, but not absolutely certain. Laws and regulations change, and the SA Dept of Home Affairs is the only definitive authority. Secondly, dealing with the SA authorities can be frustrating, to put it mildly. Delays, losing documents, giving contradictory advice and general indifference/ineptitude are common.

Ed (Moderator) will probably be along at some point, and he may be able to offer some further insights. Check back in a day or two?
Thank you for taking the time to reply - it is very much appreciated. I was coming to the conclusion as well that marriage was our route, and whilst we had already talked about it (in fact, nearly went and did it on my last visit) it seems so cliche to do it to secure a visa.

It is such a shame that the working interpretations of the laws actually hinder people emigrating. The process is frustrating and I expect as much and I figure it will take me a while to find a job so I have the time to 'track' through the process to try at least make it as smooth as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.