Moving to J'berg

Old May 16th 2014, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

AtherSaeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to J'berg

Hi Guys,

I am making a move to J'berg South Africa. I was wondering if some one can help me out with some living costs of J'berg.
I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment in Parktown J'berg.

Is this area safe to live?
What is average cost of renting a 1 bedroom furnished apartment in Parktown?
What are monthly utilities cost?

I look forward for your help
Old May 16th 2014, 1:09 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to J'berg

Hi, welcome to the African forum.

For rental prices, try www.g.co.za - it's a collection of all the estate agents in one place and it includes rentals.

For utilities, it depends on the size of property, but you should budget for R300 in rates, R1,500 for electricity and R800 for water for a small apartment.

The area is undergoing something of a renaissance - cool vibe and great night life - which has driven up prices recently. Safe is a relative term, but if you are in an access-controlled block with good, reliable 24 hour security then you should be ok - parking may be a problem, so worth making sure that's included too.

Make sure you ask the potential landlord if they have suffered any break-ins - they HAVE to disclose this (and generally do) - more than one in the last 2 years is generally a sign of trouble.

Good luck,

Ed