Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Internet connection in South Africa

Internet connection in South Africa

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 11:40 am
Just Joined

smwmcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Internet connection in South Africa

Can anyone tell me whether a British phone socket (ie for a modem or for a phone) will plug into a phone socket in the UK?
Thanks
Any other tips for moving to the Cape Town Area would be very welcome!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Bobf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet connection in South Africa

No the SA telephone sockets are not the same as the UK. But I would have thought that a conversion socket is available.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

smwmcd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bobf
No the SA telephone sockets are not the same as the UK. But I would have thought that a conversion socket is available.
Anyone any idea where I could get one - do they sell them at the airport for example as I will be taking the computer through the hold (anyone taken an apple mac on board like this???) and will need it asap
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Bobf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smwmcd
Anyone any idea where I could get one - do they sell them at the airport for example as I will be taking the computer through the hold (anyone taken an apple mac on board like this???) and will need it asap
Hi Again smwmcd

I would have thought that the only place to get a connector/converter would be in SA itself as their phone sockets ar quite large and of a two pin type.

Would you be staying in an international hotel. If so their internet connection should be international and therefore you may be able to use the UK socket format.