Driving license

Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license

Originally Posted by ededed
1. Close your eyes and pray
2. See point 1
Yes!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:05 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yes!
We had our water cut off last night. No warning - just a note stuck to the gate saying we owed R6500. We've been in the new house for 4 weeks. I take the morning off work, go to the municipality to sort it out. The previous owners owed R6k, but could I pay that and claim it back from them? No - I bloody well couldn't. Long, frustrating and swear-filled story later, it turns out they had cut off the water in the wrong complex. Right house number, wrong street - so 10/10 for ingenuity I suppose.

Got home - opened the meter in the ground and turned the mains supply tap - just in case...guess what? It came back on.

Man, I love South Africa.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

We had our water cut off last night. No warning - just a note stuck to the gate saying we owed R6500. We've been in the new house for 4 weeks. I take the morning off work, go to the municipality to sort it out. The previous owners owed R6k, but could I pay that and claim it back from them? No - I bloody well couldn't. Long, frustrating and swear-filled story later, it turns out they had cut off the water in the wrong complex. Right house number, wrong street - so 10/10 for ingenuity I suppose.

Got home - opened the meter in the ground and turned the mains supply tap - just in case...guess what? It came back on.

Really makes you wonder sometimes.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:36 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds about right! Now do what the locals do and break the meter so you can enjoy free water until they fix it.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:46 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
That sounds about right! Now do what the locals do and break the meter so you can enjoy free water until they fix it.
When in Rome....?

The guy I bought my house from was a prize tit. So I made sure I emptied and filled the new pool before the transfer - so I got 30,000 litres of free water out of him...
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

pomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nice

Have things changed recently? I lived and worked in Cape Town between 2008 and 2011 and drove without issue on my UK license. That includes buying two cars and having to produce my license at road blocks on numerous occasions.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomE
Have things changed recently? I lived and worked in Cape Town between 2008 and 2011 and drove without issue on my UK license. That includes buying two cars and having to produce my license at road blocks on numerous occasions.
What people might get away with and what the regulations are seldom correspond.

A lot of people also drive with no licence at all if the stats are to be believed.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

Originally Posted by pomE
I used only my UK license for about 3 years before I finally got round changing it back to a SA one. Went through a couple of road blocks during that time (Garden Route favourite activity) and I've never been asked how long I've been in the country. Also, my hubby was involved in a small accident after the first year and insurance never questioned his UK license.
Just saying what my experience was. I won't recommend driving without a valid license
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pablo
What people might get away with and what the regulations are seldom correspond.

A lot of people also drive with no licence at all if the stats are to be believed.
The 2nd point is more worrying, but a fact of life.

The regulations have changed - you can drive on a UK licence for 5 years - but not only do the cops not know that - they don't care if a R50 is produced at the same time.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:27 pm

Quick update seeing as the other driving licence thread was closed.

I phoned a guy who knows a guy. For R350 he managed to get me a learners appointment quickly (a pre-requisite for taking your test). I took my learners theory test this morning (following an hours revision in the traffic on my way to the testing station). Passed it, of course. Piece of cake. Based on the British highway code, with a couple of dumb questions thrown in.

The tester told me that for R2000 he could get me a licence, no questions asked. Or, for R500 - could get me a full licence test date.

Being the typical tight-assed Brit, I threatened to report him for corruption - so he took me to the office and we scheduled an appointment, legally, for February - to take my test.

Pain in the backside, but worth noting that I have finally given up on the conversion and am going to do it the old fashioned way.

Mirror, signal, shoot the taxi driver, manoeuvre.

Wish me luck.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

ukguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck!

ededed, do you mind if I ask how long you have lived in SA for?

You mentioned in the previous post that the regulations have changed and that you can drive on a UK license for 5 years.
Do you also need to have an international driving permit?

Since getting back to the UK I have been to the Post Office and it is a simple form and the IDP only costs £5:50 and is issued there and then at the Post Office without having to send the driving license to DVLA Swansea.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by ukguy
Good luck!

ededed, do you mind if I ask how long you have lived in SA for?

You mentioned in the previous post that the regulations have changed and that you can drive on a UK license for 5 years.
Do you also need to have an international driving permit?

Since getting back to the UK I have been to the Post Office and it is a simple form and the IDP only costs £5:50 and is issued there and then at the Post Office without having to send the driving license to DVLA Swansea.
9 years.

Yes - 5 years is now the limit but the cops either don't know or don't care. It's pot luck if you get hassled or not. R50 sorts it out either way.

You don't need an IDP - but it helps. Only problem is you can't get one here, and you have to apply in person in the UK at selected post offices.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Emily_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ed,
Sorry, I am going to bombard you with another question now too!
After 5 years do you have to give up your UK licence to get an SA licence?

Thanks
Em
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Emily_k
Hi Ed,
Sorry, I am going to bombard you with another question now too!
After 5 years do you have to give up your UK licence to get an SA licence?

Thanks
Em
No worries,

Yes. Regardless of when you convert you must surrender your foreign licence. As per the earlier thread, you can then reapply with DVLA - tell them you lost it and have it posted to a UK address. I know Pablo thinks this is dangerous (he's right, of course) but I think it is highly unlikely they will check and your UK licence is a very handy thing to have. I still have mine and always will. But - you can be fined if caught.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No worries,

Yes. Regardless of when you convert you must surrender your foreign licence. As per the earlier thread, you can then reapply with DVLA - tell them you lost it and have it posted to a UK address. I know Pablo thinks this is dangerous (he's right, of course) but I think it is highly unlikely they will check and your UK licence is a very handy thing to have. I still have mine and always will. But - you can be fined if caught.

They'll never check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.