Driving license

Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

ukguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving license

I was looking into moving to South Africa about 10 years ago but life events prevented that from happening.

I am in Johannesburg ow nfor 3 weeks with a friend and yesterday I visited a few banks in Sandton and asked about opening a non residents bank account so that when/if I manage to sell my UK home I can transfer some funds here to live on.

I was hoping someone could help me with a few questions please.
In order to drive here what do I need to do, I hold a full UK driving license.
Do I need to take another driving test here? Can I drive on my UK license?

The other queries are to do with living here, I do not have any family or relatives here or a job here (I work from home alone on my laptop).
So I understand I will not be eligible for any resident type of visa.
This means I get 3 months which I think can be extended for another 3 months as long as I apply 30 days before it expires.

I assume then I need to leave the country, how long for? How many times can I enter the country like this.

I would be looking to rent for 6 months to 1 year before deciding what area to buy a modest property in. Will be viewing properties this weekend.

Thanks for any answers.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:25 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license

Right. I shall choose my words carefully because the subject of driving licenses in SA gets me quite angry. There is a whole other thread I put up a couple of years ago - have a hunt through the Africa pages and you'll find it. Forgive the language I used!

Bottom line is that you can drive on a UK licence for 12 months (actually 5 years but no cop knows that). If / when you return to the UK, get an IDP from the post office for £5 - they work brilliantly. You won't be able to buy a car with a UK licence - but you can with a IDP (International Driving Permit).

Sunday is normally show day (when all the houses are open to view) but because the country closes in December, they will only be open again from next weekend. Go to www.g.co.za for a listing of all properties on all estate agents websites. What areas where you considering? Happy to give pointers on places to avoid.

I am not clued up on the visa story - Pablo is the designated expert here so I'm sure he will give better info than I can - I know they are getting tighter on it (if you try and leave once the visa has expired it makes it harder to come back again).
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:41 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Found it. March 2010. FWIW, I still don't have it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659603
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot for the information.

My goodness, reading that thread regarding your driving license makes me feel anxious, I know it would make me irate too.
For now I will plan on getting an IDP because I would need to buy a car within a couple of months of moving here.
If I don't need to get a SA driving license in order to drive here I will settle for the IDP.

I will get a form for the IDP when I get back to the UK in 10 days time.

As far as immigration goes I certainly do not want to break the rules and get blacklisted so I look forward to any info on that.
I am thinking of going to to the Home Affairs office in Hans Strydom Dr to ask some questions there, I don't know if there is a better office to go to?

I Googled it and there appears to be lots of offices dotted around.

Right now we are in a guest House in Douglasdale and I was going to look in Sunninghill, Morningside, Edenburgh and Juksei Park but to be honest I searched on Seeff and Privateproperty.za and there are no stand alone (detached) properties in my budget. So I will probably have to look in different areas.

I am not loaded and just have a modest home in the UK, the plan was to sell and buy here and have some left over to invest.

I wanted to spend under 600,00 Rand, there are apartments for that but I have one in the Uk and they can be a bit noisy.

Do you think a security village is necessary?

Last edited by ukguy; Jan 6th 2013 at 7:34 am.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by ukguy
If I don't need to get a SA driving license in order to drive here I will settle for the IDP.

I will get a form for the IDP when I get back to the UK in 10 days time.
That's the best thing to do. Probably worth popping past a car dealer and asking the F&I (the finance guy) if that will do - just to be sure. I have had numerous cars, all bought on an IDP - so you should be fine.

I am thinking of going to to the Home Affairs office in Hans Strydom Dr to ask some questions there, I don't know if there is a better office to go to?
Hans Strydom is now called Malibongwe Drive - about 6km from Douglasdale. By far the best Home Affairs Office I've encountered. I would go there without doubt. Don't be put off by all the car park guards. They will offer to queue for you, get pictures done etc - you don't need them. Not sure if they do residency though? Worth checking before you go - on the HA website...

Right now we are in a guest House in Douglasdale and I was going to look in Sunninghill, Morningside, Edenburgh and Juksei Park but to be honest I searched on Seeff and Privateproperty.za and there are no stand alone (detached) properties in my budget. So I will probably have to look in different areas.
Jukskei Park is close to me - I'm in North Riding (that's Kiwibok about to post stats about how there are 50 murders a day in North Riding). The further east you go (Fourways, Sunninghill) the more expensive property becomes. That's because Witkoppen Road is a bitch in the mornings, but if traffic isn't an issue then it may be worth a look. Try Sundowner, Weltervreden Park, Sharonlea - all reasonable areas. Unfortunately, the days of picking up a house for R600k in a decent area are long gone, so you will need to look at an apartment, or move to a very average area (and I'm being kind) which will be noisy, dangerous and won't give you a pleasant stay in SA.

Incidentally, my wife and I run (not together, she can't keep up!). Most mornings at around 05h30 she is jogging on Witkoppen Road, past taxis and people walking to work. She's never been mugged or assaulted - in fact only ever encountered people who smile and wave and shout words of encouragement. Hardly the atmosphere of the war zone portrayed by some.

Do you think a security village is necessary?
Pretty much, yes. Maybe not a village, but an apartment block with good security. I wouldn't buy a freestanding house on the road in South Africa. It's just not worth the risk. House robbery is one of the biggest problems here. And they target houses that are the easiest to get into. Although it won't ever make you totally safe, a guard outside, electric fences and a tall pallisade fence are the best deterrents.

Good luck, enjoy the rest of your stay - and shout if you need any more information.

Cheers

Ed
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Good idea, I will pop into a car dealer and ask about being able to purchase a car with a British license and an IDP.

Thanks for letting me know of the road name change, I got that off the HA website so it's obviously not updated too often.
I have a feeling I wont be eligible for any kind of residency permit even temporary so I am hoping someone there can tell me the best alternative.

I will look for apartments to buy and rent in the areas you mentioned, Sundowner, Weltervreden Park, Sharonlea.

I have always preferred to own the property I live in rather than rent but I can certainly rent for 12 months and decide then if I want to buy or can afford to buy in a decent area. Feeling safe at home is a must.

Thanks for all your helpful answers, I am sure I will have more in the future.

All the best.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling I wont be eligible for any kind of residency permit even temporary so I am hoping someone there can tell me the best alternative.

I will look for apartments to buy and rent in the areas you mentioned, Sundowner, Weltervreden Park, Sharonlea.

I have always preferred to own the property I live in rather than rent but I can certainly rent for 12 months and decide then if I want to buy or can afford to buy in a decent area. Feeling safe at home is a must.
If, as you say, you do not feel you would be eligible for a residency permit of any sort, then it would be reckless to think of buying a place before you are absolutely clear that you have the right to remain in South Africa. If you are required to leave the country, or denied entry on a later visit, you will cause yourself endless trouble.

Entry on a tourist permit that you mentioned, and trying to leave and re-enter the country on that, does not permit you to work and you would not be legal in SA. You would also stand the chance of either being denied re-entry or being told to leave.

Note that the IDP is valid only for a limited period (a year, last time I checked) and cannot be renewed/replaced except in your country of origin.

There isn't much point worrying about the legality of your driving licence when the more important aspects are illegal.

Bear in mind too that you will not be able to obtain credit in SA until your position is regularised.

Last edited by Pablo; Jan 7th 2013 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys, just wanted to update the thread.

I went to the Immigration offices on Malibongwe Drive, unfortunately the ladies there did not know when the person who deals with my query would be in the office again so my friend drove me to the Pretoria office, very packed.

Long queue but eventually got to speak to someone who suggested I enter on either,
27c, invest in an established business.

27e a retired person, for that I need to prove my net worth and have an annuity payment. He was unsure of how much net worth was needed.

27f Be financially independent, prove my net worth (amount unknown) and make a payment to the director general.

Viewed some new building developments in dainfern off William Nicol road just past Indaba hotal but of course I would rent for at least 12 months and saw some lovely apartments in Sunninghill Gardens which is an area I like.

Also looked in Bassonia and Glen Vista, Alberton side but I would prefer to be in the Fourways Bryanstone area.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

feldr is an unknown quantity at this point

I stayed for 2 weeks in a house in Sunninghill gardens area, very pleasant,Chilli Lane shopping hub only a five minute drive away, and got to Sandton, on average 35 min , 4 ways about 20 min
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Emily_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all.

I am moving to Cape Town in March.

I'm wondering do you need this international drivers licence thing if you are buying a car cash and not financing a car?
Can I use my UK license still to purchase a car if I'm not going down the finance route?

Hope to hear from you!

Best

Em
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emily_k
Hey all.

I am moving to Cape Town in March.

I'm wondering do you need this international drivers licence thing if you are buying a car cash and not financing a car?
Can I use my UK license still to purchase a car if I'm not going down the finance route?

Hope to hear from you!

Best

Em
Poor Ed is the expert on driving licence problems in SA, but last I checked you can use your UK licence for up to a year in SA.

If you become a permanent resident, then you are supposed to exchange your UK licence for a SA one. But as a temporary resident you can use your UK licence for up to a year.

Ed, if he is reading, may have something to add to this, since he has had the misfortune of recently dealing with the chaotic and contradictory bureaucracy on it all.

As for buying a car for cash, I am not aware that there is any need to have an international driving permit. Last I heard, you just turned up, paid, and drove off. (Ed, has this changed recently?)
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pablo
Poor Ed is the expert on driving licence problems in SA, but last I checked you can use your UK licence for up to a year in SA.

If you become a permanent resident, then you are supposed to exchange your UK licence for a SA one. But as a temporary resident you can use your UK licence for up to a year.

Ed, if he is reading, may have something to add to this, since he has had the misfortune of recently dealing with the chaotic and contradictory bureaucracy on it all.

As for buying a car for cash, I am not aware that there is any need to have an international driving permit. Last I heard, you just turned up, paid, and drove off. (Ed, has this changed recently?)
Spot on - nothing to add, Pablo has nailed it.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Emily_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome.
Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emily_k
Awesome.
Thanks for the advice!
You'll also needs some local advice on do's and don'ts when driving in S.A.

I'm sure Ed can provide a handy list!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You'll also needs some local advice on do's and don'ts when driving in S.A.

I'm sure Ed can provide a handy list!
1. Close your eyes and pray
2. See point 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.