Bike Licence?

Old May 9th 2014, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Kayla123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bike Licence?

Hi there :-)

Just wondered if anyone could help.

I have a full UK drivers licence and have a temp residence in South Africa 2013-2015 (Which I will renew after). I cant convert my drivers licence to ZA licence till I have permanent residence apparently.

I am wanting to start riding and think that I need a separate card as a provisional bike licence here (Whereas in the UK the full licence acts as a provisional bike licence).

Could anyone advise what to do?

Thank you.
Old May 12th 2014, 5:16 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bike Licence?

Originally Posted by Kayla123
Hi there :-)

Just wondered if anyone could help.

I have a full UK drivers licence and have a temp residence in South Africa 2013-2015 (Which I will renew after). I cant convert my drivers licence to ZA licence till I have permanent residence apparently.

I am wanting to start riding and think that I need a separate card as a provisional bike licence here (Whereas in the UK the full licence acts as a provisional bike licence).

Could anyone advise what to do?

Thank you.
Hi Kayla

Welcome to BE. There is a long thread on converting licences (good luck with doing that by the way). You are right that you can't convert until you have PR and an ID book.

You can't ride a bike on a car licence - you need to go and pass a theory test, which is very simple. Then you get a 12 month learners licence, but you can ride anything you want with that (no CC restrictions). Which is daft - no-one needs to see you even get on a bike and you can legally buy and ride an R1.

Booking a test is real fun - expect to run around in circles and wait for weeks. Be patient - the system can be beaten!

Good luck.