UK State Pension

Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:47 am
Banned

ChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to all
Default UK State Pension

Did you know that you're still entitled to your UK State Pension from no matter where you live in the world!
  • The full basic State Pension is currently £175.20 per week (£9,110.40 p.a).
  • You need to make 35 years of National Insurance contributions in order to be eligible for the full State Pension
As an Expat, you can make voluntary overseas contributions. As long as you worked full time in the UK for a minimum of 3 years, there are significant benefits you can take advantage of, and include the following:
  • You can "buy back" up to 11 years of missed contributions.
  • Your contributions needed could be as little as £3.05 per week (£158.60 per year).
  • If you have worked the minimum of 3 years in the UK and still had 32 years of contributions remaining at £158.60 per year, you would be contributing a total of £5075.20 to receive a yearly pension of £9,110.40
  • If you were to receive the state pension at the age of 68 and lived till you were 81 (average life expectancy in the UK) you would receive, throughout those 14 years, a total value of £127,545.60 from your £5075.20 worth of contributions!
Old Jun 15th 2020, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension

Well done for sharing this. I did my bit when working in The Middle East to tell others about this, but "There are none so deaf as those who will not hear."

One of the downsides to getting your State Pension when overseas can be that the pension is frozen in certain countries. If you are in Canada, for example or in South Africa, the pension is "frozen" at the level paid on first claim
Old Jun 15th 2020, 3:20 pm
Banned

ChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to allChristopherCB is a name known to all

There are too many people who don't know about some of the benefits they have, now that they live abroad.
With pensions being one of, if not the biggest assets we have in order to ensure we are able to live comfortably in retirement.

That downside certainly does exist, however I'm sure you'll agree that the difference between having a state pension and not having one would outweigh this, especially considering how minimal the weekly contributions are.

There is a lot more needed to be done to ensure we can be financially comfortable in retirement and the State Pension is a very simple, yet effective way to get started.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a bank account in the UK how can you get your pension paid into a bank where you live overseas.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 2:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ex reg
If you don't have a bank account in the UK how can you get your pension paid into a bank where you live overseas.
When you claim your State Pension (assuming you've made enough contributions to be able to receive it), you can choose which country you want your pension to be paid in.
You'll just need the IBAN and BIC numbers of the overseas account. The pension will then be paid to you in the local currency and exact payment will depend on exchange rates at that time.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChristopherCB
When you claim your State Pension (assuming you've made enough contributions to be able to receive it), you can choose which country you want your pension to be paid in.
You'll just need the IBAN and BIC numbers of the overseas account. The pension will then be paid to you in the local currency and exact payment will depend on exchange rates at that time.
Thanks.
So although my pension is currently paid into my UK bank account I will shortly sell my UK property and close my UK bank account, and not have a UK address.
I just have to inform the State Pension people that I will be non resident and give my IBAN and BIC numbers of my overseas account and all will happen automatically.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 3:54 pm
Banned

Thanks.
So although my pension is currently paid into my UK bank account I will shortly sell my UK property and close my UK bank account, and not have a UK address.
I just have to inform the State Pension people that I will be non resident and give my IBAN and BIC numbers of my overseas account and all will happen automatically.
Yes, correct. You’ll just need to contact the International Pension Centre and they should be able to guide you.

Whereabouts have you decided to move to?
Old Jun 21st 2020, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Why do you need to close your uk bank a/c?
Old Jun 21st 2020, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Some UK banks close your account if you leave the UK
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ChristopherCB
Yes, correct. You’ll just need to contact the International Pension Centre and they should be able to guide you.

Whereabouts have you decided to move to?
Since retirement we've been splitting our time between UK and Singapore.
We own property in both countries but have decided to sell up the UK property and move to Singapore full time.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 6:12 am
Banned

Since retirement we've been splitting our time between UK and Singapore.
We own property in both countries but have decided to sell up the UK property and move to Singapore full time.
Good luck with the move! Let us know how you go with transferring your pension over there and if there's any issues that arise throughout the process.