Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Tax situation when you work in SG but live in JB

Tax situation when you work in SG but live in JB

Old Feb 15th 2024, 5:10 am
Just Joined

sajj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax situation when you work in SG but live in JB

Hello
I just got approval for Digital nomad visa so I can legally live in JB while working in Singapore. But reading about taxes online forums, online forums are confusing about this situation and so is Malaysian immigration, as they asked me to register for taxes there. Has anyone experience in dealing with similar situation do you have to pay double taxes?
Old Apr 11th 2024, 5:49 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax situation when you work in SG but live in JB

I really don't know, but for starters HOW will you be working in Singapore? As in physically being there daily by commuting across to Woodlands or working online (from Johor) for a company based in Singapore?
Old Apr 12th 2024, 12:34 am
Just Joined

sajj is an unknown quantity at this point

For the benefit of others, it seems taxes you have to pay at source i.e. in Singapore only but you do need to register with Malaysian tax authorities too. Regarding physical work location, I will be doing kind of hybrid work from home and few days travelling to Singapore (flexible timings so can avoid rush hour hopefully). But will see how ti goes in practice..
Old Apr 12th 2024, 11:35 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sajj
For the benefit of others, it seems taxes you have to pay at source i.e. in Singapore only but you do need to register with Malaysian tax authorities too.
At source for sure but usually also at your place of residence, which in this case would be Malaysia. But the Digital Nomad visa might have its own rules that treat you differently from a tax perspective to a regular Malaysian citizen/resident.