Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Price range for 1 bedroom/studio apt?

Price range for 1 bedroom/studio apt?

Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

tesh86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Price range for 1 bedroom/studio apt?

Hello,
I will be relocating to Sg shortly and I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment/condo or studio, Non-shared - close to mrt, my location flexible as willing to travel, and still awaiting confirmation of job offer from one of the hospitals (will be working as a physio). I was wondering if you could shed some light on what sort of price range I am expecting to get for this type of condo/apt? At the moment, I am have a budget of $800 - 900 per month for accomodation. Is this too low? I prefer to not share with anyone, and propertyguru keeps showing me 1 bedroom apartments which turns out to be a shared apt with 4 other people.

Perhaps my budget is too low for a studio/1 bedroom unit? I would love any feedback in regards to my budget or even location. Either way I cannot change my budget at the moment. So what do you advise?

Many thanks,
Tesh
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:57 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price range for 1 bedroom/studio apt?

Hi Tesh. Just to say Welcome to the forum . I no longer live in Singapore so I'll leave our resident posters to answer your question.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

tesh86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Tesh. Just to say Welcome to the forum . I no longer live in Singapore so I'll leave our resident posters to answer your question.
Thank you bakedbean
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Your budget is too low for anything you might want to accept.

You should really consider sharing and even then on that budget you could well find it difficult.

You might be lucky of course or you might also consider HDB although be aware that there are problems when renting HDB.

Not good news but it is very expensive in Singapore.

The further away from the center you rent the lower the cost but travelling expenses won't be cheap then or time.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi tesh86, and welcome to the forum. May I ask with which hospital are you awaiting confirmation? Accommodation near the different hospitals in different suburbs may have quite different rental costs. But, honestly, $900 per month is a hard ask, especially if you're hoping for a non-sharing arrangement, in ANY location in Singapore at the moment.

Just as an example, I am currently letting out one of my properties (2 rooms, small hall & a decent sized kitchen with separate toilet & shower, all in about 700 - 750 sqft) and getting about $2,200 per month in rental. This is an HDB (similar to "council flats", but thankfully far cleaner & better run) apartment. The tenant is the sole occupier, a Canadian expat in Singapore, IIRC.

Another property of mine, a loft unit with pool view (1100 sqft - useable size about 800 sqft) in a private condominium complex has been tenanted out for $4,600 per month to another expat working here for a diplomatic mission. He's also the sole occupier. Both the properties are in District 10, and literally a stone's throw from the National University Hospital.

Our semi-detached house (also in District 10) was rented out to another expat family, but that's a different story altogether - the rental on that was $15,000 per month. This is just to highlight the realities of rental costs in Singapore at the moment.

Having said that, Singapore has been building new houses at a rate never seen before, and the experts reckon by 2017, there will be nearly a hundred thousand brand new units/apartments/condominiums coming into the market. This will most definitely have a cooling effect on the sky-high rentals, but can you afford to wait till then?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

Hi tesh86

Your budget sounds too low for any sort of non-shared arrangement... Unless you know someone or Lady Luck smiles at you. :-)
It used to be that for just about SGD750, u could get an entire 3 rm HDB flat to yourself (I did !!?!!) but that was many years ago.

From my research (i am looking for a place, too) a studio would cost just about at least SGD 1300 (... n I think I am being modest here..)

Xx
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Emili George is an unknown quantity at this point

any ideas how much budget do I require to rent an apartment in Lakeside area? I want to shift that side for my child's schooling.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:31 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emili. Welcome to the forum
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emili George
any ideas how much budget do I require to rent an apartment in Lakeside area? I want to shift that side for my child's schooling.
Hi Emili,

You could try propertyguru.com.sg for the going rentals. Hope that helps!