Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Moving to Singapore need some advice

Moving to Singapore need some advice

Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Singapore need some advice

Originally Posted by Pupsiecola
We lived in Singapore for a year in 2012/13. I would comment as follows:-

1. Yes, you've only got a small salary increase, but the taxes in Singapore are low (around 15% to 18%). Are they going to help with the relocation costs (flights, shipping etc.)?

2. Buses/MRT (underground trains)/taxis are very cheap. (Oh how my husband misses his 15 minute bus ride to work for 70. It's now 2 hours and £70).

3. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can have an outdoor lifestyle. Sure you can more than the UK, but it is so hot and humid in Singapore that you don't tend to spend too much time outside. There'll be pool time, which your child will no doubt appreciate, but it's not a pleasant or comfortable heat imho. You certainly can't go on a pleasant stroll around the countryside.

4. We rented a 3 bed condo in the River Valley area for 6000 SGD and that was 2 years ago. We got it for a good price (it was on for 8000).

5. Groceries can be very cheap if you eat local. If you want Western food/ingredients it'll cost you.

It's do-able I'd say but I have no idea how much nursery fees are (my kids are older). If depends why you're going? To save money?! For an adventure? To further your career?

Finally, I would say it's far easier to do sth like this when your kids are pre-school. I wish we'd done it then.
3. Same as in Bangkok, though Singapore struck me as even more extreme and unpleasant than Bangkok in that regard